The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mister Dead
Hi,

this converstion has come up a few times as i had a couple of friends that got 2.2. I can't speak specifically re. economics, but the general advice from friends that have been involved in recruitment is:

Apply regardless of whether positions have a minimum grade requirement.

most positions (in the experience of my friends) have been filled with these priorities:

1. Is the interviewee capable of doing the job/course
2. Will they fit into the team/establishment whatever
3. Which uni and what grade (as much a tie-breaker for suitable candidates)

and remember that there are tonnes of people out there with a 1st/2.1 that are in mororless the same position.

Charisma, and who you know, not what really does count for a lot. Get out there and make some noise. Good luck.

I can't agree with this enough. Take grade requirements with a pinch of salt. You'll get a hell of a lot of rejections but all it takes is one person to give you a chance and you can show there's more to you than a 2.2. I dropped out of uni and yet work for a big 4. Charisma and likeability play a huge part in interviews, no one wants to be stuck next a bore 9-5 (well, more like 9-11 some days..) everyday. Keep applying, eventually you'll get your shot.
Reply 41
Maybe try getting a hob abroad mate? I think they will respect you for getting a degree from UCL, eventhough 2:2.
Original post by Norton1
My award winning spoon collection was apparently not enough.

They'll be laughing on the other side of their faces when I win the World Spoon Championships.

I have it on reliable authority that they already took on a guy last year who could balance 7 forks on his face.
Reply 43
Original post by Tokyoround
I can't agree with this enough. Take grade requirements with a pinch of salt. You'll get a hell of a lot of rejections but all it takes is one person to give you a chance and you can show there's more to you than a 2.2. I dropped out of uni and yet work for a big 4. Charisma and likeability play a huge part in interviews, no one wants to be stuck next a bore 9-5 (well, more like 9-11 some days..) everyday. Keep applying, eventually you'll get your shot.

Well said :yep:
Reply 44
You have a lot of options:
1. Keep applying
2. Get a masters and keep applying (try and convince the unis to give you a shot, if necessary go for a masters that require a 2.2)
3. Do a degree again. You'll completely nail it this time as you are not as immature as you were, and you have good grades anyways!

Poeple know that a 2.2 from ucl for economics is better than a 2.1 at many universities on many different types of degrees, they aren't stupid..

they're just trying to get the 2.1 kids on the scheme because they don't want low 2.2 students from average unis applying.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 45
Why not pursue ACCA if its a career in Accountancy that you want. You could get exempted from some of the papers if your degree in an Accounting Degree.
Reply 46
Original post by Noonz
Why not pursue ACCA if its a career in Accountancy that you want. You could get exempted from some of the papers if your degree in an Accounting Degree.

Best advice.

The Big 4 have auto filter system for ACA graduate programme, people managed to get in without 2:1 and above is minimal.
Reply 47
Thanks again for all the replies guys. I do feel much better after this thread, so thanks for all the advice.

Now, can someone tell me what I can do regarding work experience? Should I be looking for the standard internships or just unpaid things? How would I go about that? If someone could point me to reading material on what has to be done, I'd be grateful. Thanks.

EDIT: Also, given that it's unlikely at this point that a company will want to take me on for the ACA, do you think I would be more likely to do an ACA after completing an ACCA instead?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 48
Original post by HaveADesmond
Thanks again for all the replies guys. I do feel much better after this thread, so thanks for all the advice.

Now, can someone tell me what I can do regarding work experience? Should I be looking for the standard internships or just unpaid things? How would I go about that? If someone could point me to reading material on what has to be done, I'd be grateful. Thanks.

EDIT: Also, given that it's unlikely at this point that a company will want to take me on for the ACA, do you think I would be more likely to do an ACA after completing an ACCA instead?

With regards the the edit, it makes no sense to do an ACCA and then an ACA. They are to similar. Perhaps the AAT leading in to an ACA contract, but if you do an ACCA then stick with that, you're qualified.
Reply 49
Original post by HaveADesmond
Thank you. Your post was heartening and positive, I appreciate it.

Its very difficult, I also got 2.2 in Economics and haven't been able to secure position. Its a silly world where you get a 2.2 in a challenging subject and you're on the scrapheap even if its in a relevant degree. Its basically discouraging a lot of undergrads from doing more difficult subjects.
Original post by hiding12
Its very difficult, I also got 2.2 in Economics and haven't been able to secure position. Its a silly world where you get a 2.2 in a challenging subject and you're on the scrapheap even if its in a relevant degree. Its basically discouraging a lot of undergrads from doing more difficult subjects.

Most profiles I've seen online show graduates who get ACA contracts having academic degrees, not mickey mouse ones. Ie History, Politics, the Sciences, Business and Finance, Economics, English and Geography, as well as some with Languages.

You need to understand that there's a fair bit of competition around and there will always be more people chasing contracts than places available.
Reply 51
Original post by ilovecatsforlife
Most profiles I've seen online show graduates who get ACA contracts having academic degrees, not mickey mouse ones. Ie History, Politics, the Sciences, Business and Finance, Economics, English and Geography, as well as some with Languages.

You need to understand that there's a fair bit of competition around and there will always be more people chasing contracts than places available.

I do understand it, but I still think that someone who has a 2.2 in a difficult subject like Physics, Maths, Economics from a decent degree with history of good results for a level. I think apart from Finance and some languages, I would actually think that the other degrees you listed are comparatively easier than Economics. I know I could have got a 2.1 in Business with the same amount of work I did to get a 2.2 in Economics
I do understand it, but I still think that someone who has a 2.2 in a difficult subject like Physics, Maths, Economics from a decent degree with history of good results for a level. I think apart from Finance and some languages, I would actually think that the other degrees you listed are comparatively easier than Economics. I know I could have got a 2.1 in Business with the same amount of work I did to get a 2.2 in Economics

And yet somehow us lesser mortals with English degrees are able to complete the ACA e.t.c. and going to successful accounting careers. The mind boggles.

Well for the ACA, the key thing employers care about is your ability to pass the exams. There's some content, you learn it, and sit an exam. An academic subject is an academic subject. Hence you're meant to study something you're good at, rather than studying something because it's 'difficult'. That's a by-product of the situation, or an excuse.

A lot of the stuff you learn in an Economics degree is useless to accountancy and the ACA. A lot of the stuff you learn in a History degree is useless to accountancy and the ACA. Candidates have a box, and it needs to be ticked. That's all.

Unless you have extenuating circumstances, you need to look at yourself before complaining about others with other academic degrees. It's unfair. The fact that most graduates get the 2:1 says something about you (unless you have extenuating circumstances of course).
(edited 11 years ago)
Smart enough to pick an easy degree :cool:
Reply 55
Original post by poony
Best advice.

The Big 4 have auto filter system for ACA graduate programme, people managed to get in without 2:1 and above is minimal.

Applauds!

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9100
Reply 56
Original post by Brotherhood
And yet somehow us lesser mortals with English degrees are able to complete the ACA e.t.c. and going to successful accounting careers. The mind boggles.

Im by no means saying someone with an English degree couldn't complete the ACA
Reply 57
Original post by ilovecatsforlife
Well for the ACA, the key thing employers care about is your ability to pass the exams. There's some content, you learn it, and sit an exam. An academic subject is an academic subject. Hence you're meant to study something you're good at, rather than studying something because it's 'difficult'. That's a by-product of the situation, or an excuse.

A lot of the stuff you learn in an Economics degree is useless to accountancy and the ACA. A lot of the stuff you learn in a History degree is useless to accountancy and the ACA. Candidates have a box, and it needs to be ticked. That's all.

Unless you have extenuating circumstances, you need to look at yourself before complaining about others with other academic degrees. It's unfair. The fact that most graduates get the 2:1 says something about you (unless you have extenuating circumstances of course).

Well admittedly I did have extenuating circumstances, an illness that I didn't get diagnosed at the time regrettably. But I did Accoutancy as part of my course in the first year but I would say Statistics and numerate degrees are likely to be more relevant than something like History or Geography
Reply 58
I know I could have got a 2.1 in Business with the same amount of work I did to get a 2.2 in Economics

How do you know this? Did you do one? Just wondering.

:tongue:
MI6 let you in with a 2:2. :dontknow:

Latest

Trending

Trending