The Student Room Group

Barts and The London medicine applicants 2013

Scroll to see replies

I'm a graduate applicant thinking about applying to the A100 course at Bart's, but I'm not sure if I would stand a chance at interview. Do you think I stand a realistic chance? Please be brutally honest!

-I have a 1st Class Honours degree in Psychology
-MSc Neuroscience degree
-UKCAT score of 662.5

I'd be really grateful for some opinions on this!
Original post by Revent
I'm just holding back in case I decide to make a last minute change to my personal statement which is very likely!

can i mention that i work at sainsburys in my personal statement?
Reply 782
Original post by sortedguy
can i mention that i work at sainsburys in my personal statement?

If you wish but I wouldn't see why you need or want to. You could say having had a part time job has helped you juggle your school and work or something along those lines, but you don't need to specifically mention you work at Sainsbury.
Would applying with a ucas tarrif of 560 and ukcat of 623, stand much chance of getting an interview?
Reply 784
Original post by handsome7654
Would applying with a ucas tarrif of 560 and ukcat of 623, stand much chance of getting an interview?

Yes a good chance

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by J1994D
Yes a good chance

Really? :eek:
But my ukcat is too low and they use ur ucas score along side ur ukcat with both having equal weighting. I'm sure there will be plenty of people with high 600s/700s ukcat and above ucas points
Original post by J1994D
Yes a good chance

The decision about how to use the Ukcat and Ucas tariff will be made after allthe applications have been submitted and the cohort has been assessed. I don't think anyone can know in advance of Barts decision.
Reply 787
Original post by handsome7654
Really? :eek:
But my ukcat is too low and they use ur ucas score along side ur ukcat with both having equal weighting. I'm sure there will be plenty of people with high 600s/700s ukcat and above ucas points

your ucas points are still above the majority of people (cut off 510 last year) and its unclear how theyll use ukcat, but the average i dont think will be too high as people with high ukcat generally apply to places which rank on ukcat (eg manchester, exeter, plymough, newcastle etc.) you have a good chance, but no one knows so asking other people objective questions like this is pointless tbh :smile:

were all just going to have to wait :smile:
Reply 788
Original post by chocolate_pies
The decision about how to use the Ukcat and Ucas tariff will be made after allthe applications have been submitted and the cohort has been assessed. I don't think anyone can know in advance of Barts decision.

people keep getting told different things all the time, but i agree. you wouldnt say he has a 'bad' chance would you, i think he has a good chance. its all opinions.
Original post by J1994D
Yes a good chance

The decision about how to use the Ukcat and Ucas tariff will be made after all the applications have been submitted and the cohort has been assessed.
Original post by chocolate_pies
The decision about how to use the Ukcat and Ucas tariff will be made after all the applications have been submitted and the cohort has been assessed.

They also said that they would look at other things on the UCAS form, everyone seems to be forgetting that bit unless it's insignificant :s-smilie:
Reply 791
Original post by raveen789
They also said that they would look at other things on the UCAS form, everyone seems to be forgetting that bit unless it's insignificant :s-smilie:

Some have said that, some have said ukcat and UCAS equal weighting, we don't know basically haha

Reply 792
With 480 ucas points and 635 as my UKCAT score, would this be a wasted choice on my ucas form? Do I stand much chance of getting in? Getting close to the deadline now and I cant decide whether to go for Leeds or Barts :s-smilie:
Thanks for any help
Reply 793
Original post by jlake01
With 480 ucas points and 635 as my UKCAT score, would this be a wasted choice on my ucas form? Do I stand much chance of getting in? Getting close to the deadline now and I cant decide whether to go for Leeds or Barts :s-smilie:
Thanks for any help

Unsure as the importance of ps is unknown but if i was you I'd go for Leeds instead as long as you have strengths in what they look at :smile:

Original post by J1994D
Some have said that, some have said ukcat and UCAS equal weighting, we don't know basically haha

I guess in life we have to take risks :redface:
Original post by jlake01
Thanks for any help

So many people on tsr are asking whether they have a reasonable chance. We just won't know until after the deadline.

Apply to leeds if you feel the selection criteria are clearer. An application to a uni that hasn't decided how to use the various indicators will always be a risk
Reply 796
Hey all,

I've got information on last years data. It took them a month, but it seems people here were wrong about the 510 cut off.

http://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/a100_medicine_admission_statisti#incoming-319087

Have a look. Really informative. An applicant had over 1200 UCAS points :lolwut:
Original post by Revent
Hey all,

I've got information on last years data. It took them a month, but it seems people here were wrong about the 510 cut off.

http://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/a100_medicine_admission_statisti#incoming-319087

Have a look. Really informative. An applicant had over 1200 UCAS points :lolwut:

Woah woah woah you're misrepresenting the data, yes although one applicant has 1200 UCAS points, there were applicants interviewed with as low as 400 or 410. If anything this should encourage more people to apply.

To be accurate,

------------------------------------------------------

Mean average UCAS tariff for interviewed = 559 (560)
Range from 400-1270

Mean UKCAT points for interviewed = 698 (700)
Range from 630-830

Mean Average UCAS tariff for Accepted = 589 (590)
Range from 410 to 1270

Mean Average UKCAT score for Accepted = 701 (700)
Range from 630-820

-----------------------------------------------------

If anything i think this shows Barts are harsher on the UKCAT front thatn they've really let on in the past...
Reply 798
Original post by Orinincandenza
Woah woah woah you're misrepresenting the data, yes although one applicant has 1200 UCAS points, there were applicants interviewed with as low as 400 or 410. If anything this should encourage more people to apply.

To be accurate,

Mean average UCAS tariff for interviewed = 559 (560)
Range from 400-1270

Mean UKCAT points for interviewed = 698 (700)
Range from 630-830

Mean Average UCAS tariff for Accepted = 589 (590)
Range from 410 to 1270

Mean Average UKCAT score for Accepted = 701 (700)
Range from 630-820

-----------------------------------------------------

If anything i think this shows Barts are harsher on the UKCAT front thatn they've really let on in the past...

Hence I said an applicant. I didn't make any conclusion on the data, I just presented it to people here and pointed out an anomaly which I found to be very extreme and even laughable. It'd be silly for me to make a conclusion based on one candidates data. Besides, I said that people were wrong about the 510 cut off indicating that it must be lower. There is no room for ambiguity (such as an implication of a higher cut off) in that statement because candidates were interviewed with a score of 510 last year.

Anyway, I'll stick to correlation does not mean causation. You may interpret the data as you wish but there are other factors that can be taken into account. For example, a higher UKCAT score may correlate with better performance in an interview so the UKCAT itself has no bearing on a candidates success.

I think a thanks would suffice here rather than telling me I am misinterpreting the data. I didn't particularly need to make this request to them; I just thought it would be helpful for others.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Revent
Hence I said an applicant. I didn't make any conclusion on the data, I just presented it to people here and pointed out an anomaly which I found to be very extreme and even laughable. It'd be silly for me to make a conclusion based on one candidates data. Besides, I said that people were wrong about the 510 cut off indicating that it must be lower. There is no room for ambiguity (such as an implication of a higher cut off) in that statement because candidates were interviewed with a score of 510 last year.

Anyway, I'll stick to correlation does not mean causation. You may interpret the data as you wish but there are other factors that can be taken into account. For example, a higher UKCAT score may correlate with better performance in an interview so the UKCAT itself has no bearing on a candidates success.

I think a thanks would suffice here rather than telling me I am misinterpreting the data. I didn't particularly need to make this request to them; I just thought it would be helpful for others.

Erm right, well apologies if you thought i was telling you off, are you not applying as well ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending