The Student Room Group

How many GCSEs did you do?

Scroll to see replies

I did 9.5 GCSEs. This was before it got ridiculous with kids taking courses that were equivalent to 5 GCSEs etc.
Including my BTEC, 15 and a half, which in hindsight was far too many :tongue:
Our local school did 9 max unless you want to enter extras and self teach. The 9 are Single or Double Science, Single or Double English, Maths, one from French/Spanish/RE/LLW and up to 3 options. My oldest did a couple of extras, triple science, Classical Civilisations and Add Maths so ended up with 12, middlest just did the straight 9 'cause he was sick for most of his GCSEs (ME/CFS). System seems to be changing now for top set so looks like youngest will be doing 11 (triple science and add maths or stats), as well as a few 'weird and wonderful' subjects being offered as after school classes (CC, journalism, latin and greek are being mentioned). EFL kids also do their first language as a GCSE / AS / A2 in yrs 10/11/12 respectively.
I did 10...that was more than enough memorising stuff for me...
I did 9 actual GCSE's, then ICT and PSHE were different qualifications.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 125
6 .
Reply 126
12 for me.

One of those I did outside of school because they didn't offer the course - not enough people bothered to apply for it.
Ironically it was the only one I got an A* in.
Not that it matters, in the real world noones that fussed about GCSE's.
Reply 127
I did 9, although I didn't do that many subjects as I remember as I chose one double award subject, then also got 2 from Science and 2 from English (Lang & Lit) - so there's 6 of my 9 already! The other three came from Maths, Geography and Resistant Materials. So 9 GCSE's from 6 subjects.

I also chose to do P.E which was unexamined, other than some coaching young kids badge we got ha

I don't see the point in you doing that many GCSE's, sounds like far too much hard work for something that means so little in the long run. Just do however many is normal for students in your school and do as well as you can in those, particularly the core subjects as a lot of the time universities will just ask for a C or above in say Maths, or English.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 128
I did 10, seems like a pretty average amount

Quick Reply

Latest