The Student Room Group

Further Pure Mathematics and Further Maths GCSE?

Looking at another GCSE or iGCSE to boost my total, not sure how similar these too are or if anyone has any recommendations.
I did Further Maths and did well, and I thought I'd look at the former in the title because I need another subject. I have considered the specs and they seem a bit different, e.g. the former considers logarithms and the latter doesn't, and a few other things. But they do seem to overlap quite a bit .

Is it worth doing it if I've already done AQA Further Maths? Anyone have any experience with it?

P.S. had a bit of trouble with taking GCSEs so I have less than most people, though at relatively good grades. I'm aiming for a good uni which is why I'd like to get another GCSE, but can't really find many to do. If anyone has any other recommendations I'd be grateful. Thanks!
Reply 1
Original post by mossyrevelations
Looking at another GCSE or iGCSE to boost my total, not sure how similar these too are or if anyone has any recommendations.
I did Further Maths and did well, and I thought I'd look at the former in the title because I need another subject. I have considered the specs and they seem a bit different, e.g. the former considers logarithms and the latter doesn't, and a few other things. But they do seem to overlap quite a bit .

Is it worth doing it if I've already done AQA Further Maths? Anyone have any experience with it?

P.S. had a bit of trouble with taking GCSEs so I have less than most people, though at relatively good grades. I'm aiming for a good uni which is why I'd like to get another GCSE, but can't really find many to do. If anyone has any other recommendations I'd be grateful. Thanks!

There's too much overlap - how many iGCSEs have you got?
Original post by Muttley79
There's too much overlap - how many iGCSEs have you got?

Thanks, thought there probably would be. I will have 8, so it's not exceedingly low. I do note that programmes like Oxford UNIQ only require 8 GCSEs, but it'd be nice to have a backup possibly, and I'm not sure whether having less GCSEs would be really problematic when applying to higher unis. I see a lot with 9+, often 10 GCSEs, not sure whether this just leaves me at a disadvantage? Thanks again :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by mossyrevelations
Thanks, thought there probably would be. I will have 8, so it's not exceedingly low. I do note that programmes like Oxford UNIQ only require 8 GCSEs, but it'd be nice to have a backup possibly, and I'm not sure whether having less GCSEs would be really problematic when applying to higher unis. I see a lot with 9+, often 10 GCSEs, not sure whether this just leaves me at a disadvantage? Thanks again :smile:

8 is what most unis consider - quality not quantity.
Original post by Muttley79
8 is what most unis consider - quality not quantity.

Ah that's good to hear then. Thank you very much for your help :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest