The Student Room Group

Med schools preferences

I'm trying to make a shortlist of the medical schools that I want to apply to and was wondering how I'm supposed to find out which unis prefer high gcse grades and UKCAT scores and which unis care about module resits etc. such as Birmingham that want a high number of A*s in gcse?

Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by swahmad
I'm trying to make a shortlist of the medical schools that I want to apply to and was wondering how I'm supposed to find out which unis prefer high gcse grades and UKCAT scores and which unis care about module resits etc. such as Birmingham that want a high number of A*s in gcse?

Thanks.

Have a look at the TSR medicine wiki http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medicine

Also research the admission policies of universities, some are easily available online on their websites.
What are you GCSEs, UKCAT and volunteering? Maybe someone can make suggestions.
Reply 3
Original post by Hippokrates
What are you GCSEs, UKCAT and volunteering? Maybe someone can make suggestions.

1 A* and 8 As, so I need to stray away from unis that like high number of A*s at GCSE. I haven't done the UKCAT yet and am still sorting out volunteer work.
Reply 4
Original post by swahmad
1 A* and 8 As, so I need to stray away from unis that like high number of A*s at GCSE. I haven't done the UKCAT yet and am still sorting out volunteer work.

Stay clear of
Birmingham
Leicester
Cardiff
Edinburgh
Kings(unless you have a ridiculously high UKCAT)
Probably BSMS
Oxford
QUB

You should be able to narrow down the remaining schools once you get your UKCAT score. If you wanted to apply to Liverpool you would get full points for your GCSEs because they count A*/As the same, they also don't use the UKCAT.
Original post by swahmad

Original post by myyrh
Stay clear of
Birmingham
Leicester
Cardiff
Edinburgh
Probably BSMS
Oxford
QUB

You should be able to narrow down the remaining schools once you get your UKCAT score. If you wanted to apply to Liverpool you would get full points for your GCSEs because they count A*/As the same, they also don't use the UKCAT.

I'd put Keele on that list too - they rank your top 7 GCSEs including English Language and Maths.

EDIT: I think Bristol want 5 A* grades at GCSE IIRC, so put them on that list too.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by swahmad

Thanks.

I think I'm right by saying that Birmingham removed there 7A* requirement for 2013 entry. They will contextualise your application and if you're school is pretty average or worse, they won't require you to have achieved such grades and will probably focus on other qualities.

However, they do like seeing applicants offering A*'s in all Sciences, Maths and English (lang or lit) as well as having 4A's at AS. If you've got that, I wouldnt worry about GCSE's. They've also changed their interviews to MMI which is quite surprising.

Edit: If you've only achieved 1A* then yeah, you'd probably be right not to apply there. :smile:

Regarding BSMS, if you have 4A's at AS, I think you get full marks for academics regardless of GCSE's. (15/15)
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by thegodofgod
I'd put Keele on that list too - they rank your top 7 GCSEs including English Language and Maths.

EDIT: I think Bristol want 5 A* grades at GCSE IIRC, so put them on that list too.

Bristol say they need 5As at GCSE and also that credit is given for the best 8 subjects at A*/A implying that they are equal.
Original post by myyrh
Bristol say they need 5As at GCSE and also that credit is given for the best 8 subjects at A*/A implying that they are equal.

Woops, was thinking of Cardiff there, I think :tongue:
Reply 9
Original post by myyrh
Stay clear of
Birmingham
Leicester
Cardiff
Edinburgh
Probably BSMS
Oxford
QUB

Do all of these unis put a lot of emphasis on GCSEs? From what I hear so do Cambridge and St Georges. What do you mean by probably BSMS?

Also, is there a list of which unis are campus and which are city based?

Thanks for the help :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by swahmad
Do all of these unis put a lot of emphasis on GCSEs? From what I hear so do Cambridge and St Georges. What do you mean by probably BSMS?

Also, is there a list of which unis are campus and which are city based?

Thanks for the help :smile:

Yes all the above put a fair amount of emphasis on GCSE grades and yours wouldn't be as competitive enough for them. Cambridge don't as much, they focus more on AS levels and really high UMS (95%). St Georges say you GCSE grades need to average an A which yours do so that would be fine. I say probably BSMS because I've seen applicants get rejected on account of their GCSEs and they've had one or two more A*s than you. Then again frogs r everywhere says they put more emphasis on AS levels so if you do well in those you could have a shot.
I don't think there's a list like that (I haven't researched though)
Reply 11
Original post by myyrh
Yes all the above put a fair amount of emphasis on GCSE grades and yours wouldn't be as competitive enough for them. Cambridge don't as much, they focus more on AS levels and really high UMS (95%). St Georges say you GCSE grades need to average an A which yours do so that would be fine. I say probably BSMS because I've seen applicants get rejected on account of their GCSEs and they've had one or two more A*s than you. Then again frogs r everywhere says they put more emphasis on AS levels so if you do well in those you could have a shot.
I don't think there's a list like that (I haven't researched though)

Ah right I'll see about Cambridge and BSMS at results day then :tongue: I think St Georges don't allow for GCSE resits or something, which I did.

What about the other BMAT unis?
Reply 12
Original post by swahmad
Ah right I'll see about Cambridge and BSMS at results day then :tongue: I think St Georges don't allow for GCSE resits or something, which I did.

What about the other BMAT unis?

Fine for Imperial, I think they're okay for UCL too but UCL look at everything so again you would probably need decent AS grades.
Original post by myyrh
Stay clear of
Birmingham
Leicester
Cardiff
Edinburgh
Probably BSMS
Oxford
QUB

Stay clear of Manchester, they're big on long term voluntary work.
Reply 14
Original post by myyrh
Fine for Imperial, I think they're okay for UCL too but UCL look at everything so again you would probably need decent AS grades.

But you need a language GCSE for UCL don't you? I'm thinking of not applying to them though as the late patient contact thing doesn't appeal to me.

While Leicester do use take into account your GCSEs, they're by no means an application breaker. I'm not too sure how the admissions process works anymore, but I know several people with only a single A* to their name at GCSE in my year.
Original post by Hippysnake
While Leicester do use take into account your GCSEs, they're by no means an application breaker. I'm not too sure how the admissions process works anymore, but I know several people with only a single A* to their name at GCSE in my year.

I know you didn't intend it, but that last sentence made people with few A* out to be peasant-like :teehee:
Reply 17
Original post by swahmad
But you need a language GCSE for UCL don't you? I'm thinking of not applying to them though as the late patient contact thing doesn't appeal to me.

Yeah you need a language GCSE for them
Original post by AspiringGenius
I know you didn't intend it, but that last sentence made people with few A* out to be peasant-like :teehee:

Hey! I got a few A*s!

At A-level.

Is that a new policy? It was only 4A's needed last year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending