The Student Room Group

Other ways of getting a tuition fee loan?

I quickly went to university follwing my A-Levels via clearing but failed my first year, I was eligible to resit which I just finished (2011-2012) and passed barely. I decided to drop off the course as it wasn't something I enjoyed and didn't really see a future with the degree so why continue onto a 2nd and 3rd year?

Anyway found a new course that I want to do, some uni's offer 3 years in and some do either 4 years sandwich or 4 years foundation. Now with my previous study I used up 2yrs funding out of the 4 I had. I rang up student finance and they said they will still give me support for final 2 years of the new course but I have to pay the 1st year tuition fees myself (though they will give me loan and grant).

My query is basically, is there any other way of getting a loan/support for just the 1st year from somewhere else at all? As paying £8000-£9000 myself is definately not possible unfortunately :frown:
Reply 1
hmm:/

write to the government?

doubt they would help
Reply 2
Original post by EpiCDayo92
I quickly went to university follwing my A-Levels via clearing but failed my first year, I was eligible to resit which I just finished (2011-2012) and passed barely. I decided to drop off the course as it wasn't something I enjoyed and didn't really see a future with the degree so why continue onto a 2nd and 3rd year?

Anyway found a new course that I want to do, some uni's offer 3 years in and some do either 4 years sandwich or 4 years foundation. Now with my previous study I used up 2yrs funding out of the 4 I had. I rang up student finance and they said they will still give me support for final 2 years of the new course but I have to pay the 1st year tuition fees myself (though they will give me loan and grant).

My query is basically, is there any other way of getting a loan/support for just the 1st year from somewhere else at all? As paying £8000-£9000 myself is definately not possible unfortunately :frown:

if you live at home you can make up a large proportion through maintenance grant and loan.
You can also ask to pay it off in monthly installments, so you can get a part-time job and balance the books.
Reply 3
Original post by Iqbal007
if you live at home you can make up a large proportion through maintenance grant and loan.
You can also ask to pay it off in monthly installments, so you can get a part-time job and balance the books.

Yeah I was thinking of that, but the guy I spoke to at student finance said there were other ways of getting loans but they must be well hidden as I can't find anything online yet.

What you suggest is a plan b, just want to make sure plan a is out of the question first.
could you take a year out and work full time? i think that would be better than taking out a loan and trying to pay it back as you're doing your degree.
As above - work and save up for it.

I don't really want the government to have to finance another year of education because you screwed it up the first time - that's not very fair on taxpayers, is it?
Reply 6
Original post by Aspiringlawstudent

I don't really want the government to have to finance another year of education because you screwed it up the first time - that's not very fair on taxpayers, is it?

Bore off you moron, my parents pay tax, my sister pays tax and even I pay tax. So don't try and lecture me on all that jazz please. Where did I say that the Government should have to finance another year? Did I not just state that they are NOT funding another year?

All I was doing was asking for help/opinions on what I should do and I appreciate all the other comments on this thread as they have actually gave me a clearer picture. I already have a job and the uni I have in mind is close to home (Manchester) so it's very plausible. Yes taking a year out may be a good idea.
Bore off you moron, my parents pay tax, my sister pays tax and even I pay tax. So don't try and lecture me on all that jazz please. Where did I say that the Government should have to finance another year? Did I not just state that they are NOT funding another year?

All I was doing was asking for help/opinions on what I should do and I appreciate all the other comments on this thread as they have actually gave me a clearer picture. I already have a job and the uni I have in mind is close to home (Manchester) so it's very plausible. Yes taking a year out may be a good idea.

Why on earth would you post on a public forum if you couldn't handle criticism? :rolleyes:
Reply 8

I don't understand? You were only at university for a year? How is that 2 years funding? Did you fully resit the year and paid fees?
Reply 9
Original post by Aspiringlawstudent

But it's not as if the OP isn't going to pay it back, is it?

OP - have you spoke to the uni about this? They should let you pay in instalments.
Reply 10
Original post by Podcaster
I don't understand? You were only at university for a year? How is that 2 years funding? Did you fully resit the year and paid fees?

OP resat his 1st year, so he spent 2 years in 1st yaer before leaving. Annoying, but it 2 years funding.
Reply 11
Original post by Strangey
OP resat his 1st year, so he spent 2 years in 1st yaer before leaving. Annoying, but it 2 years funding.

Oh so he repaid to attend first year? I thought he meant he just redid the exams so didn't pay any fees for that year (apart from internal exam fees)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending