The Student Room Group

Advert with monkey doing gymnastics right after Black olympic athlete causes outrage

NBC has become the centre of a race storm after airing an ad featuring a monkey performing gymnastics, right after showing the performance of Gabby Douglas, the first African-American to win Olympic gold.

The network has since apologised for the advert's poor timing, explaining: 'No offense was intended.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2183284/Gabby-Douglas-NBC-forced-apologise-ad-features-monkey-doing-gymnastics-Douglas-victory.html#ixzz22aWAzvj8

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You're obsessed.
Reply 2
Whose brain works like this? Seriously, how far do some people go to be offended?
Reply 3
Daily FAil Trolololololol. StoppeD reADING after I saw thta.
Really? :lolwut:
White girl wins, followed by monkey commercial, no big deal.

Chinese girl wins, followed by monkey commerical, no big deal.

Black girl wins, followed by monkey commerical, RACISM! Why?
Reply 6
Original post by democracyforum
White girl wins, followed by monkey commercial, no big deal.

Chinese girl wins, followed by monkey commerical, no big deal.

Black girl wins, followed by monkey commerical, RACISM! Why?

Because some people look for racism in everything.
Now if the monkey was dressed in the same leotard or they labelled it 'Gabby' they might have a point. Ridiculous, people are so eager to find something to be offended about.
I find it funny how the black or white people would find a chimp advert racist and go on about it.

All you'll get is people laughing at how black people take the 'chimp' thing seriously and learn that its a sure-fire way to wind them up.

Kids learn it when watching Spanish football crowds chanting chimp sounds and this will reinforce their idea of racism.
Can't believe people would actually be offended by this.

I'm black, but still....some black people need to chill out. Damn.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 10
NBC has become the centre of a race storm after airing an ad featuring a monkey performing gymnastics, right after showing the performance of Gabby Douglas, the first African-American to win Olympic gold.

The network has since apologised for the advert's poor timing, explaining: 'No offense was intended.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2183284/Gabby-Douglas-NBC-forced-apologise-ad-features-monkey-doing-gymnastics-Douglas-victory.html#ixzz22aWAzvj8

Whoever connected the monkey and Douglas is racist. If they think of a monkey when they see a black athlete, or think of a black athlete when they see a monkey, then they are the one with the problem.
Original post by Hopple
Whoever connected the monkey and Douglas is racist. If they think of a monkey when they see a black athlete, or think of a black athlete when they see a monkey, then they are the one with the problem.

hehe

judge for yourself, then decide

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFBHjgpIq7I
hehe

How does that change anything? That is exactly what it was described as. It's not racist- that ad aired several times. Too many people too eager to be offended.
After the Lithuanian man was fined at the Olympics for making chimp and calling Nigerians monkeys everything they had the ball. As people who are not black it's hard for you to comprehend that racism is still present and strong. However, in this case it looks like it was a coincidence that the advert coincided with Gabriella shot :s
Reply 14
I've heard the problem was that after other athletes had won they played an advert related to them- apparently one athlete had an advert that she had appeared in air straight after her win.

So that's why people were offended- because instead of putting something related to her, they put a monkey.

Personally, I think it was a coincidence, but I can see why people would be hurt by that.
urgh. I very much doubt that this was done deliberately to cause offense. Why have people always got to assume the worst?
Original post by Ice Constricter
Can't believe people would actually be offended by this.

I'm black, but still....some black people need to chill out. Damn.

If you look at the article, the whole 3 people who seem to be 'outraged' (they're not) are not black. Not sure who exactly is offended.
Original post by + polarity -
If you look at the article, the whole 3 people who seem to be 'outraged' (they're not) are not black. Not sure who exactly is offended.

Hmmm I wonder then.......

But you're right, as soon as I saw it was a DailyMail article I didn't bother opening the link.
Reply 18
hehe

Only someone who thinks monkeys and black people are similar would conclude that the monkey is similar to the athlete. I do not and hence did not. It's a monkey, she is not.
Yeah, completely ridiculous. Adverts are chosen long-before and there's a lot of money being exchanged here, you know how difficult it is to cancel? This was advert was shown before other athletes events.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending