The Student Room Group

Grammar

Alright, please could someone correct those for me: (I've marked the answer I'd choose in red... or is it brown?...)
Oh and, please explain why on the first three. :smile:

1. I was angry when you saw me because _____ with my brother.
A have been arguing B would argue C had been arguing D argued

2. I much preferred it when we ____ Scotland every summer on holiday.
A used to go B have been going C had gone D were going to

3. They denied ____ the money.
A having stolen B to have stolen

Then there is choosing the right vocab (And I'd be glad if someone could point me into the direction of more exercise!):

1. Firstly, the system only views the weakest learners as having special ____.
A requests B desires C needs D wants

2. The brightest and most ____ students are not encouraged to develop their full potential.
A inattentive B unreliable C intensive D conscientious

Thank you very much!
I'm thankful also for more exercise of this kind if anyone got a link or something! :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
1. None of the available options are correct without creating a fragment - none introduce a subject to receive the verb to argue (none offer a subject that was arguing). A correct sentence would be something like, "I was angry when you saw me because I argued with my brother."
2. D, 'were going to' is right.
3. A, 'They denied having stolen the money.'

1. C, special needs.
2. D, conscientious.

Hope this helps.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by miser
1. None of the available options are correct without creating a fragment - none introduce a subject to receive the verb to argue (none offer a subject that was arguing). A correct sentence would be something like, "I was angry when you saw me because I argued with my brother."

1. C, special needs.
2. D, conscientious.

Hope this helps.

Thanks.

In 1. I might have missed the I when copying it but I would have gotten it correct, although it took a while to figure it out. If you can, would you mind telling me why the other options are wrong? (Just imagine there is an I there :P)

3. Why is it not 'to have stolen'? I thought it was. Although They denied to have stolen sounds a bit BS...
Reply 3
Original post by Nord
Thanks.

In 1. I might have missed the I when copying it but I would have gotten it correct, although it took a while to figure it out. If you can, would you mind telling me why the other options are wrong? (Just imagine there is an I there :P)

3. Why is it not 'to have stolen'? I thought it was.

1. I was angry when you saw me because I _____ with my brother.
A have been arguing, B would argue, C had been arguing, D argued

I changed the question to include 'I'. With this question I would say that C made the most sense because 'had' conforms with the tense established by the previous half of the sentence ('I was angry').

With question 3 I'm not certain, I'd wait for a second opinion if anyone would like to reply.
Reply 4
Original post by miser

1. C, special needs.
2. D, conscientious.

Hope this helps.

Are you sure about them? I'm no expert but 2 and 3 sound very fishy to me...
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by miser
1. I was angry when you saw me because I _____ with my brother.
A have been arguing, B would argue, C had been arguing, D argued

I changed the question to include 'I'. With this question I would say that C made the most sense because 'had' conforms with the tense established by the previous half of the sentence ('I was angry').

With question 3 I'm not certain, I'd wait for a second opinion if anyone would like to reply.

Oh yes right. Now I figured out what the first sentence is about.

I think it's go to do with the Gerund and Infinitive thing. Some words demand the Gerund, some infinitive. There's a list somewhere, but I have no clue. I'll wait.

Thank you very much!

Original post by 117r
Are you sure about them? I'm no expert but 2 and 3 sound very fishy to me...

There was no "to" in the original sentence, I checked twice because it's... yeah, odd. So the only option that would make sense is going TO.

If there was a "to" in the sentence, which one would you choose?
2. I much preferred it when we ____ to Scotland every summer on holiday.

A? Used to go to Scotland?
Otherwise I'd still say D.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by miser
No, not certain. Re-reading it a few times I might change my answer on 2. to 'used to go' because 'used to' seems to match the tense established by 'preferred'. Welcoming of corrections from a person with better knowledge.

So does were.

It's a past future or something.
Reply 7
I would go for:
1C
2A
3 is odd. I would say "they denied stealing the money" but out of those two, maybe B?
Reply 8
Original post by Nord
So does were.

It's a past future or something.

Deleted post because I realised I was being a derp and forgot that I chose it originally because of the 'to'. :tongue:
Reply 9
Original post by miser
1. None of the available options are correct without creating a fragment - none introduce a subject to receive the verb to argue (none offer a subject that was arguing).

In English please?
Original post by Nord
Alright, please could someone correct those for me: (I've marked the answer I'd choose in red... or is it brown?...)

Then there is choosing the right vocab (And I'd be glad if someone could point me into the direction of more exercise!):

2. The brightest and most ____ students are not encouraged to develop their full potential.

Thank you very much!
I'm thankful also for more exercise of this kind if anyone got a link or something! :smile:

Section A:

1) C. Missed out "I", though.

2) A. Missed out "to", though.

3) A.

Section B:

1) The question is questionable itself: "firstly" is dubious. Should probably be "first". The answer is C.

2) D.
Reply 11
Original post by Nord

As above, you need an 'I' before the blank in this for it to make sense. With the 'I' added, I would say C.

I would say A for this one.

A. B just doesn't sound right.

C.

D.

Thank you very much!

You're welcome. :smile:

I'm a grammar Nazi.
Reply 12
Original post by Mazzini

You're welcome. :smile:

I'm a grammar Nazi.

Thanks! Do you know any grammar exercise websites or something? I gotta train a bit :wink:.
Reply 13
Original post by Podcaster
In English please?

All proper sentences need a subject and a verb, or else you aren't describing anything. The subject is a noun, like me or you, or a dog, or any object or thing. The verb is then something that is used to describe a quality of the subject, for example, "the dog is a golden retriever." The question required a subject to receive the verb ('argue') or else it wouldn't be a proper sentence (it'd be called a fragment). You can say "I argued yesterday," but not just "argued yesterday" as it wouldn't be a proper sentence because it lacks a subject that you are describing as having argued (though when saying "argued yesterday" in everyday conversation, the subject 'I' would be taken as implied).
Reply 14
Original post by miser
All proper sentences need a subject and a verb, or else you aren't describing anything. The subject is a noun, like me or you, or a dog, or any object or thing. The verb is then something that is used to describe a quality of the subject, for example, "the dog is a golden retriever." The question required a subject to receive the verb ('argue') or else it wouldn't be a proper sentence (it'd be called a fragment). You can say "I argued yesterday," but not just "argued yesterday" as it wouldn't be a proper sentence because it lacks a subject that you are describing as having argued (though when saying "argued yesterday" in everyday conversation, the subject 'I' would be taken as implied).

I see.
Reply 15
Original post by Nord
Thanks! Do you know any grammar exercise websites or something? I gotta train a bit :wink:.

No, sorry :frown:

If you PM me with sentences you're not sure about I can help you out. :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by Mazzini
No, sorry :frown:

If you PM me with sentences you're not sure about I can help you out. :smile:

I appreciate it though! :smile:
Reply 17
To be honest, this makes me realise that I can just tell if a sentence is grammatical or not, without knowing the precise rules which validate it.

By the way:

1) C
2) A
3) A
Reply 18
Original post by shmuxel
To be honest, this makes me realise that I can just tell if a sentence is grammatical or not, without knowing the precise rules which validate it.

By the way:

1) C
2) A
3) A

Yes but without validation it is really no use to me. :/

Thanks anyways for trying.
Reply 19
Original post by Nord
Yes but without validation it is really no use to me. :/

Thanks anyways for trying.

Sorry :smile: If you don't mind me asking, are you learning english as a second language

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending