The Student Room Group

Broke passenger side mirror during driving lesson

Hi,

A few days ago I had my first driving lesson with RED Driving School and I accidently clipped a parked car's mirror towards the end of the lesson, which broke my instructor's side mirror. Just before the 'crash' my instructor said "oh!" but didn't stop the car or turn the steering wheel. Afterwards she told me that the insurance will cover it and I won't have to pay, but today she called me and said that I will have to pay for the damage because "I've asked the school and they said minor damage like this has to be paid by the student".

Do I really have to pay? I know it's my fault cos I was driving but as a complete novice, the instructor didn't stop me in time so isn't it also her negligence? And shouldn't the driving school cover it through insurance anyway, considering it costs quite a lot to learn with them per hour?

Please advise!

Scroll to see replies

Don't pay the driving school. They may be trying to pull a fast one on you and claim insurance, while getting money from you. They should claim from the insurance and if it is such that you do have to pay, then the insurance company would send you a letter or seek payment from you.
You should confirm this with someone who knows more about it.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
Don't pay them, your £20 for driving lessons covers their insurance and subquent claims.
I broke a wing mirror off my instructor's car in my 2nd driving lesson. I wasn't charged anything - it was covered by the cost of the lessons and their insurance. That was with BSM, but I imagine that the same applies. Do you have any written agreement from them that you could check the fine print of?
Reply 4
Original post by Feefifofum
I broke a wing mirror off my instructor's car in my 2nd driving lesson. I wasn't charged anything - it was covered by the cost of the lessons and their insurance. That was with BSM, but I imagine that the same applies. Do you have any written agreement from them that you could check the fine print of?

I don't have any written agreement from them when I started my lesson, nor could I find any information on damages on their website (I looked at their T&Cs too).

The instructor texted and called me today, and not knowing anything earlier I agreed to paying and she said she will show me the receipt tomorrow, which I assume means it's already been fixed since she said she has a lesson with another student in the evening (and so it was urgent). It was only after coming home and telling my parents about it did I realise that I shouldn't have to pay for it!
Reply 5
In fact, my instructor crashed her car last week (she claimed that someone crashed into her) and was using a courtesy car to teach me on Sunday - was she actually allowed to do that?
**** her and **** her mirrors
Reply 7
Ask for a copy of your terms and conditions and the insurance they use to cover you, and read it to see if it says you have to pay. If you don't, don't pay and tell them to bugger off.
Don't pay them- their insurance should cover it. I'd talk to a manager or someone at the driving school to get it sorted out.
Reply 9
Instructor should have stopped the car or grabbed the wheel...
Reply 10
Maybe the Citizens Advice Bureau can give you some advice? In the meantime, I think it might be prudent to not have anymore lessons with your instructor/school until it's all sorted out.
Reply 11
Original post by Beska
Maybe the Citizens Advice Bureau can give you some advice? In the meantime, I think it might be prudent to not have anymore lessons with your instructor/school until it's all sorted out.

I'm not planning to continue with them regardless if whether I have to pay or not, but I have a 2 hour lesson with them tomorrow which I've already paid for and I doubt I can get a refund since I normally have to give a 48 hour notice. Do you think I should take the lesson or not? (considering the soonest I can contact the school and instructor is tomorrow morning)
Reply 12
Original post by lemoncha
I'm not planning to continue with them regardless if whether I have to pay or not, but I have a 2 hour lesson with them tomorrow which I've already paid for and I doubt I can get a refund since I normally have to give a 48 hour notice. Do you think I should take the lesson or not? (considering the soonest I can contact the school and instructor is tomorrow morning)

It's your call. I personally would go and refuse to pay, and if the instructor terminates the lesson then I'd assume the lesson wasn't technically cancelled and you're entitled to your money back. The whole thing stinks, at the very least ask for an invoice from your driving school telling you exactly what damage you're paying for, etc.
Reply 13
Original post by Beska
It's your call. I personally would go and refuse to pay, and if the instructor terminates the lesson then I'd assume the lesson wasn't technically cancelled and you're entitled to your money back. The whole thing stinks, at the very least ask for an invoice from your driving school telling you exactly what damage you're paying for, etc.

I think I'd go with your advice. The instructor did say she will give me the invoice tomorrow, and the other problem is since it's (I believe) already fixed today she might force me to pay, even though I wouldn't give them another penny...
Reply 14
dont pay them
and threaten legal action

and i recomend u look for another instructer if she let u drive with a broken side mirror
Reply 15
You shouldn't have to pay. Lessons are supposedly all-inclusive - which means that the driving school bears all costs. It's their responsibility.
That's stupid, you don't have to pay! When you pay for your lesson, part of that goes to the insurance of the car. And also, unless they can give you something in writing, it proves they're tryna rip you off. Don't have it.
I don't have any written agreement from them when I started my lesson, nor could I find any information on damages on their website (I looked at their T&Cs too).

The instructor texted and called me today, and not knowing anything earlier I agreed to paying and she said she will show me the receipt tomorrow, which I assume means it's already been fixed since she said she has a lesson with another student in the evening (and so it was urgent). It was only after coming home and telling my parents about it did I realise that I shouldn't have to pay for it!

Their terms are online (scroll down to "Learner Driver Terms and Conditions")
http://www.reddrivingschool.com/terms.aspx
If you do decide to go to the Citizen's Advice Bureau, I'd print this out and take it along with you.
Reply 18
I think I'd go with your advice. The instructor did say she will give me the invoice tomorrow, and the other problem is since it's (I believe) already fixed today she might force me to pay, even though I wouldn't give them another penny...

Don't give them a penny, your insurance covers everything to do with damages involving the car when driving, unless it's some third party fire and theft, etc which I very muchdoubt, no silly instructor would do considering their teaching people who are learning to drive.
Just go to your lesson, nor can she force you to pay, you've paid for your lesson, otherwise get your money back for her not giving the service you've paid for.
Reply 19
You shouldn't have to pay.

Find a new driving instructor also.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending