The Student Room Group

My Life?

Hello, everyone!

I just would like to start off by hoping the best for those getting ready for university! Especially those prepared to study MEDICINE. First off, I hope you do not mind trying to give me some advice about this point in life. Well, firstly, I took the IB Diploma Program and earned a 40 with 7s in Chemistry HL, Biology HL, ITGS SL and Math SL. I never thought I'd ever get that/those grade(s). Before getting into IB, my mother declared that I'd be forced to study medicine at Cairo University in Egypt. Well, I don't mind studying there, but I fear that my medical degree would be unrecognized when I do graduate from Cairo University. So, my question is, do you think that I a medical degree from Cairo University will be recognized? The problem is that even after all my hard work, I still love my mom and I have to do what she thinks is the best for me. I'm Egyptian but I lived in the Gulf all my life. my life is basically prepared in Egypt (house, car, etc.), but I still fear studying there. I don't want my future position to be in jeopardy. I did get into a prominent scholarship program, but due to lack of dedication from my family I did give up. The second scholarship program I was enticed to was the government one, but my parents secretly decided not to finish the paper work even after all those exams I took for it...I'm afraid that by the time I graduate and try to study further abroad, universities will look at my degree as inferior to others... And well I have no choice now! I have a LOT more to say, but I don't want to bore you guys. It's 2012, and Cairo University is no longer the only recognized university in the Middle East for medicine, and certainly (CERTAINLY) not in the world. Any advice? Also, I'm quite new here, so please tell me if I posted this somewhere wrong...:confused: :colondollar:

Sincerely,
Moe!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
I'm confused...are you definitely going to Cairo university in September, or are you wondering which unis to apply to for 2013+ entry? I don't know anything about Egyptian medical degrees, but no university is gonna offer a medical degree that is useless, at least in the country it is completed - so you would definitely be able to practice in Egypt at a minimum. Where would you want to study afterwards?

And why are your parents so set on you going to Cairo? Why not look at other unis?
Reply 2
hey!

Well, see, in Cairo University, they let school diploma students (like IB) apply in late August after students from schools in Egypt apply first. Then we get a confirmation for a place at the university. That mortifies me, because UCAS requires you apply a YEAR earlier... My parents just want me to go to that university because they want the family to stick together (my mom and sis live there) and it is apparently cheap for citizens. They feel like the road is clear to Cairo Universitym especially since we already have everything set there. I'm planning to continue practice probably in the Gulf and then onwards for masters in the UK. Haven't really planned it thoroughly, but I'm afraid that the diploma won't be "trusted" in the sense. I dislike Egypt and do not plan to live here... At least, so far. Sorry to confuse you.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
Hey Moe,

I think you will have to a little more research as applying for Masters degrees is different than applying for undergraduate degrees. The requirements vary much more widely from university to university. I am from Canada, and my gut instinct is that you would have to complete some sort of additional certification to supplement your medical degree from Cairo to study for a masters degree in North America. I suspect the same might be true for the UK as well, but as I said before, different universities may have different requirements.

Edit: I just wanted to clarify that if you wanted to practice Medicine in North America with a degree from another country, you would have to undergo a certification process in addition to writing an exam. It would not be too far of a logical leap to assume that the same would hold true for the UK, and that you may be required to do the same even to study for a masters.
(edited 11 years ago)
Problem with medicine is its a very practical degree, going abroad is never a good option, coming back will be a major hassle. With a non-EU university, you would need to sit IELTS, PLAB and be put to work in probationary type environment for 6months. Returning back from a foreign environment to practice in the NHS will also be a culture shock probably.

Better options to 'going abroad for medicine':

1. Become a foot surgeon:
Bsc Podiatry (3years) > Msc Podiatrc surgery(2years) > Surgical Training (3years) > Consultant Podiatric Surgeon (£70,000/year + opportunities for private practice income)
[video="youtube;W-xbBJyynXk"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-xbBJyynXk[/video]

2. Nurse practitioner/Operating Department Practitioner
You get a decent salary and a fair amount of clinical responsibilities, the best is Anaesthetic Practitioner, private practice income is also available.
[video="youtube;UXrBMZ-CjpU"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXrBMZ-CjpU[/video]
Reply 5
Original post by Genioz
Hey Moe,

I think you will have to a little more research as applying for Masters degrees is different than applying for undergraduate degrees. The requirements vary much more widely from university to university. I am from Canada, and my gut instinct is that you would have to complete some sort of additional certification to supplement your medical degree from Cairo to study for a masters degree in North America. I suspect the same might be true for the UK as well, but as I said before, different universities may have different requirements.

Edit: I just wanted to clarify that if you wanted to practice Medicine in North America with a degree from another country, you would have to undergo a certification process in addition to writing an exam. It would not be too far of a logical leap to assume that the same would hold true for the UK, and that you may be required to do the same even to study for a masters.

Exactly what I generally fear. If I study medicine (undergraduate degree) in the US or UK, then this step is ultimately waned I'm guessing. That's one of the main reasons I really do want to study abroad... But I'm forced to study there and continue my postgraduate studies anywhere I like... But why make it more difficult than it needs to be. Anyway, I guess I can't really do anything about it now. It's mid August, and not only are my parents fixed I go to Cairo University, no other university will accept students wishing to studying medicine. :frown: I just hope that if things don't turn out good, I can still transfer. And if not, I hope there would be an opportunity to take all those required examinations before postgraduate studies abroad without any conflicts. hehhhhh... I'm seriously seriously miserable. My siblings have things to sedate them here, but not me. For me, studying is mostly what sedates me. I demand justice, but there is no 'justice' in Egyptian life.
Unfortunately I don't think you're going to find very much helpful information here as while UK medical degrees are highly respected, most people here won't have a clue about if you will have to do an exam when you get back or how you will be treated when you apply for residencies.

Also try and get some information on tuition fees, a degree in the UK as an international is going to cost upwards of £125,000 for the 5 years.
Reply 7
Original post by Helloworld_95
Unfortunately I don't think you're going to find very much helpful information here as while UK medical degrees are highly respected, most people here won't have a clue about if you will have to do an exam when you get back or how you will be treated when you apply for residencies.

Also try and get some information on tuition fees, a degree in the UK as an international is going to cost upwards of £125,000 for the 5 years.

Yeah, I'm an international medicine student at SGUL and my tuition is £30 000 per year for 6 years, not including living expenses. It really is quite expensive.
Reply 8
:frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending