The Student Room Group

Things to do in preparation for uni

Hi all,

I plan on studying engineering at university; probably mechanical or aeronautical. I was just wondering what things I can do at school, or out of school, which will enhance my personal statement for the top universities, as I know how competitive places are at the moment.

So far, I have received an Arkwright scholarship and am part of the CCF RAF section. Next year I plan on applying for a gliding scholarship through RAF cadets which is a 10-day course during the summer.

As I mentioned, I would like to know what else I can do, related or not to engineering to make my application stand out.

Many thanks,

FM.
You already have a VERY strong hand of "extras" for your application, even for Oxford/Cambridge (I assume one of your choices will be Oxbridge) few applicants will have an Arkwright, very few the RAF or equivalent, so no need to worry on that front.

Do you do any sort of team activity (sport, debating or similar)? Although your RAF cadets could cover the "I can work in a team" angle.

Are your academics up to scratch?

Prepare very well for any entrance exams your are required to do, and read/research a LOT around your subject (things which are not part of the school curriculum).

Good luck with your results tomorrow!
(edited 11 years ago)
masturbate!!!
Original post by FunnyMonkey!
Hi all,

I plan on studying engineering at university; probably mechanical or aeronautical. I was just wondering what things I can do at school, or out of school, which will enhance my personal statement for the top universities, as I know how competitive places are at the moment.

So far, I have received an Arkwright scholarship and am part of the CCF RAF section. Next year I plan on applying for a gliding scholarship through RAF cadets which is a 10-day course during the summer.

As I mentioned, I would like to know what else I can do, related or not to engineering to make my application stand out.

Many thanks,

FM.

Original post by mikeandadamsmum
You already have a VERY strong hand of "extras" for your application, even for Oxford/Cambridge (I assume one of your choices will be Oxbridge) few applicants will have an Arkwright, very few the RAF or equivalent, so no need to worry on that front.

Do you do any sort of team activity (sport, debating or similar)? Although your RAF cadets could cover the "I can work in a team" angle.

Are your academics up to scratch?

Prepare very well for any entrance exams your are required to do, and read/research a LOT around your subject (things which are not part of the school curriculum).

Good luck with your results tomorrow!

What does the RAF Gliding Scholarship do in terms of advantages for applying to university? Does it knock money off the fees, increase your chances of getting in, all of the above or that and more?

Thanks! :smile:
Reply 4
Hi there, hopefully after receiving my results tomorrow i will be studying engineering starting in oct at loughborough. I really recommend that you find some relevant work experience at a local engineering firm, this shows that you have gone to the effort of finding some yourself, the unis love that! I also have an arkwright scholarship :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest