The Student Room Group

The Big "Are My Grades Good Enough for Cambridge?" Thread

Scroll to see replies

My IGCSE grades were 2A* 7A 2B I would like to study AMES (asian and middle eastern studies)
what a levels would I need?
My IGCSE subjects were Eng as a 2nd language Math ICT Chem Phy Business studies Accounting Arabic as a foreign language and Economics im currently doing AS in chem math AICT and English language
Will I need to do IELTS or will AS in English langauge will be sufficient?
Do I stand a chance?
Original post by Colmans
http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergraduate/teachers/docs/student_conference_teacher_forum_presentation.pdf Scroll down to the average UMS/GCSEs for applicants/offers

It's doable-but it's not common. What we don't know are the other aspects of the students who got offers. Some may have had extenuating circumstances. Most were probably from disadvantaged schools or areas. Some did outstandingly well at BMAT, some only took a few GCSEs and did AS early in their better subjects or came from different educational systems.

If your B is in an important subject such as Maths or English it may be a problem. Good luck.

No my B is only in art, which I hated, although I got an A in English language and english lit. (Both of which I hated - seeing a pattern?)
I am fairly committed to trying to get a high UMS average - two of my teachers have already suggested that I'm in for 100% in their respective subjects. I just need to get some good work experience and a good BMAT score. Putting some pressure on myself aren't I? :smile:
Original post by L'Evil Fish
BMAT will play quite a big role too.

Oh yes, is Cambridge just BMAT then, no UKCAT?
Original post by Boople
Oh yes, is Cambridge just BMAT then, no UKCAT?

Yep
I have 20 A*'s at GCSE and 100% UMS average between AS level: Maths, F.Maths, Chemistry, Biology, Physics, Latin, Geography.
Predicted 7 A*s at A level applying for Medicine at Trinity, I don't think I stand a chance...

Spoiler

Original post by H.Ibrahim
I have 20 A*'s at GCSE and 100% UMS average between AS level: Maths, F.Maths, Chemistry, Biology, Physics, Latin, Geography.
Predicted 7 A*s at A level applying for Medicine at Trinity, I don't think I stand a chance...

Spoiler

You really should have taken some more a levels also your gcses are on the lower side for medicine applicants so I guess it all depends on weather you can get a 9,9 5A on the bmat

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by iwishiwasclever
You really should have taken some more a levels also your gcses are on the lower side for medicine applicants so I guess it all depends on weather you can get a 9,9 5A on the bmat

Posted from TSR Mobile

Even with all that, I think it's impossible to get into Bath:lol:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1687923
So if i don't or can't study music at A-level then i still have a chance of studying it in uni if i have grade 8 theory???
Original post by Ayooo
So if i don't or can't study music at A-level then i still have a chance of studying it in uni if i have grade 8 theory???

If you can't, yes you still have a great chance, if you don't(i.e you decided not to) you still have a chance but they will question it.
Original post by joe12345marc
If you can't, yes you still have a great chance, if you don't(i.e you decided not to) you still have a chance but they will question it.

Would i need to be grade 8 on an instrument aswell?
Original post by Ayooo
Would i need to be grade 8 on an instrument aswell?

The higher grade you are the better, i would never say you NEED to. It's about showing passion for a subject.
Original post by Ayooo

It is pretty difficult to study music at better universities if you don't have grade 5 keyboard skills although theoretically possible. In my experience grade 8 musicians were pretty thick on the ground even outside of music degrees.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can I study Maths at cambridge without taking physics at a-level? I'm in Year 12 at the moment, so there's not much I can do about it now :/
Original post by lilymint212
Can I study Maths at cambridge without taking physics at a-level? I'm in Year 12 at the moment, so there's not much I can do about it now :/

You can although most applicants do offer it. Can you take any extra maths mechanics modules instead?

You can, although part IA of the Tripos is slightly more skewed towards applied topics than some other universities, so make sure you're happy that you're choosing the course that is right for you!

The important thing is to get as much Mechanics under your belt as you can - M1-M3 as a minimum - even if it means self-studying.

(I believe Cambridge do now offer a "catchup course" for people who haven't gone as far as M3, but in general I'd advise trying to get familiar with the concepts before you get to uni!)
Original post by Colmans
You can although most applicants do offer it. Can you take any extra maths mechanics modules instead?

Original post by davros
You can, although part IA of the Tripos is slightly more skewed towards applied topics than some other universities, so make sure you're happy that you're choosing the course that is right for you!

The important thing is to get as much Mechanics under your belt as you can - M1-M3 as a minimum - even if it means self-studying.

(I believe Cambridge do now offer a "catchup course" for people who haven't gone as far as M3, but in general I'd advise trying to get familiar with the concepts before you get to uni!)

I'm definitely doing up to M3. I think I will self-study M4 and M5 but I'm not sure I'll be able to take the exams. If I also teach myself the mechanics module in the physics a level, do you think I have a realistic chance of an offer (assuming I do well in my exams and do well in the interview - also assuming that I get an interview)?
I'm definitely doing up to M3. I think I will self-study M4 and M5 but I'm not sure I'll be able to take the exams. If I also teach myself the mechanics module in the physics a level, do you think I have a realistic chance of an offer (assuming I do well in my exams and do well in the interview - also assuming that I get an interview)?

Impossible to say until you have some UMS scores.

A bigger priority is probably learning how to solve hard problems. Once you've done C1 and C2, check out the MAT (administered by Oxford - Google for past papers and solutions). You should also aim to learn C3 and C4 in your first year, even if your school teaches them in year 13. This will allow you to start trying AEA and STEP I questions, which is good preparation for a Cambridge interview. Note that if you are taking C3 and C4 in year 13, Cambridge can't expect you to know stuff just for your interview, but it's easier to try harder problems with the full core.

Do learn M4 and M5 too, but you want to be sure that you are completely on top of the material Cambridge expects you to know because you're taking exams in those modules. You won't be asked anything which requires it unless you make it clear that you've sekf taught it in the interview
(edited 9 years ago)
I got terrible GCSE's grades in school 6 years ago (2B's in maths and english, and the rest C's)

But I'm predicted to get 4 A's at AS... in Maths, Economics, Politics and Psychology.

Regardless of my AS results is it still pointless for me to apply at Cambridge to do Economics?

Tempted to retake some cause I know now I could get A*'s but heard this is pointless.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by ccfctom
I got terrible GCSE's grades in school 6 years ago (2B's in maths and english, and the rest C's)

But I'm predicted to get 4 A's at AS... in Maths, Economics, Politics and Psychology.

Regardless of my AS results is it still pointless for me to apply at Cambridge to do Economics?

Tempted to retake some cause I know now I could get A*'s but heard this is pointless.

To be honest I think the chances of somebody with no further maths and those GCSEs getting an Economics offer are vanishingly small. If you get a UMS average if 95% with near 100% in maths it may just be worth it but I doubt it

Edit:just noticed you said six years ago. If so I assume you had extenuating circumstances and that you can apply to a mature college. In this situation with high UMS you may have a chance but can you study some further maths?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending