The Student Room Group

The Big "Are My Grades Good Enough for Cambridge?" Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by vincrows
you may be just joking here, that's a misconception, or one of jesters the students there play on play on each other and LE tends to be the biggest victim. :tongue:
In fact, because it's such a broad-based course that crosses over so many subjects, their work load is quite large and heavy. And they're highly employable, too, in spite of all those teasings by other course's students. :wink:

What is LE?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by physicsmaths
land economy. :smile:
One of the most looked down course by the students at Cambridge, whether it's half-jokingly or seriously (just like their Judge business school for postgrad business course are) , but one of most employable degree for employers. They cover law, economics, accounting, business management and geography. Not in a narrow, deep extremely highly academic way but in more practical, broad way. :wink:
(edited 8 years ago)
land economy. :smile:
One of the most looked down course by the students at Cambridge, whether it's half-jokingly or seriously (just like their Judge business school for postgrad business course are) , but one of most employable degree for employers. They cover law, economics, accounting, business management and geography. Not in a narrow, deep extremely highly academic way but in more practical, broad way. :wink:

What is Land economy? Like geography?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by physicsmaths
What is Land economy? Like geography?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry I ETA the info to the post while you're posting, probably.
Here's the proper info on LE.

http://www.landecon.cam.ac.uk/
You can see a lot of examples of how LE is teased at Cambridge here. :tongue:
https://m.facebook.com/pages/Cambridge-memes/237160533034210

And many who looked down and teased them realise later how easily LE students land on very good job (like leading international accounting firms, business consultants, investment banking, think-tanks, property developers) so quickly and easily after graduated, much better than their own job prospect.!:tongue:
you may be just joking here, that's a misconception, or one of jesters the students there play on play on each other and LE tends to be the biggest victim. :tongue:
In fact, because it's such a broad-based course that crosses over so many subjects, their work load is quite large and heavy. And they're highly employable, too, in spite of all those teasings by other course's students. :wink:

Yes I'm fully aware, hence the :wink:
:smile:
Actually I'd say it's a pretty cool degree to have.
Original post by jneill
Yes I'm fully aware, hence the :wink:
:smile:
Actually I'd say it's a pretty cool degree to have.

:biggrin:

Along with Judge business school, I look at LE as Cambridge's move to cater for a more modern need in the real world. A touch of colour to the ivory tower.....:wink:
(edited 8 years ago)
:biggrin:

Along with Judge business school, I look at LE as Cambridge's move to cater for a more modern need in the real world. A touch of colour to the ivory tower.....:wink:

It's fine to defend your course, dude - I'm sure Land Economy is a great subject - inadvisable to attack other subjects as somehow not 'in the real world' though...

Original post by jneill
Philosophy is not soft. :smile:
Nothing at Camb is soft. Except maybe LE :wink:

May a liiiittle bit soft? :wink:

I'm sure all the Philosophy students can agree that much!
Original post by tomfailinghelp
It's fine to defend your course, dude - I'm sure Land Economy is a great subject - inadvisable to attack other subjects as somehow not 'in the real world'!

Well, I'm not LE nor have I any personal reason I need to defend LE, because I always feel the stigma they carry is not very fair to how their course really is. And I did Not attack any other subject for that matter, either. :wink:
(edited 8 years ago)
I met a girl who got 4 B's,6 A's and 2 A*'s and is now studying at Cambridge. I wouldn't worry overly much about GCSE results
(edited 8 years ago)
Giving this a little bump to push out a bug :smile:
GCSEs: 9A* + an A* with Distinction in Further Maths.
AS Predicted UMS: Maths/Further Maths: 100%. Physics 96%-98%. Chemistry 92-94%.
Multiple Maths Challenge Gold Awards, Kangaroo Merit, BMO Qualifier (Near miss on distinction).
Gold in GCSE Physics Challegne, Silver in AS Physics Challenge.
Attended/Attending: Cambridge Physics Masterclass, Senior Physics Challenge Short Course, Warwick Computer Science and Discrete Maths Headstart, Debate Chamber Maths, Debate Chamber Physics.
Established School's Physics Soc, Maths Scholar at School, Maths Prefect. Attended Maths Lectures organised by School on extension topics.
Lots of Further Reading on Real Analysis. Been in contact with American Professors (UCB) for advice on furthering study of mathematics.
Think that near enough covers everything.

How do my chances look for getting an offer for Maths from Cambridge?
Original post by She-Ra
Giving this a little bump to push out a bug :smile:

If you perform at interview then quite good. However only about half of maths applicants achieve their STEP exam offer. It's a two stage process.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Colmans
If you perform at interview then quite good. However only about half of maths applicants achieve their STEP exam offer. It's a two stage process.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Probably quoted the wrong poster :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
Probably quoted the wrong poster :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I never do get the right bar to click on why I post from a mobile.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Colmans
I never do get the right bar to click on why I post from a mobile.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's called Thick Finger Syndrome.

:tongue:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4256
Does Cambridge see your raw marks/percentages or just UMS? I'm asking because I'm doing Biology AS level and when I looked at some past UMS boundaries for previous past papers, a lot said that for a score as low as 72/85 you could still get 100% UMS, but that seems too good to be true...so would Cambridge see your actual score or just see that I'd gotten 140/140 UMS points (if I had) ?
Thanks..hope this isn't too confusing :biggrin:
Original post by Ambre
Does Cambridge see your raw marks/percentages or just UMS? I'm asking because I'm doing Biology AS level and when I looked at some past UMS boundaries for previous past papers, a lot said that for a score as low as 72/85 you could still get 100% UMS, but that seems too good to be true...so would Cambridge see your actual score or just see that I'd gotten 140/140 UMS points (if I had) ?
Thanks..hope this isn't too confusing :biggrin:

They only see your UMS :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4258
Original post by cerlohee
They only see your UMS :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

So when people are staying stuff like 'I got 96% average' and on the Cambridge website when they say 'Candidates are not required to achieve over 90% average' the assumption is that they're referring to UMS percentages right?? (oh and thanks btw)
Original post by Ambre
So when people are staying stuff like 'I got 96% average' and on the Cambridge website when they say 'Candidates are not required to achieve over 90% average' the assumption is that they're referring to UMS percentages right?? (oh and thanks btw)

Yes

And the average offer holder has approx 95% UMS. NB. its an average, so many get an offer with significantly less.

Edit to add:
you can see UMS (and GCSE) data per subject here:
Good_Practice_in_Supporting_Applicants.pdf
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0By6S22A22Dv8ZG1vR0RQWm1EN2c/edit?usp=docslist_api

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending