The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Manchester Accommodation FAQ + Accommodation Choices Thread Mark III

Scroll to see replies

Original post by koolkelv
A silly question, but do we get provided an Ethernet cable?

Also, room number is TD.02.09

I'm feeling uneasy because there's no 3 digit numbers in there :frown:, is it some weird 10 room place?

(This is Owen's park)

Yep, you'll find an ethernet cable in your room when you move in.

I *believe* that's Tree Court, Flat / Corridor 2, Room 9 :smile:
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
I seem to be seeing alot of posts on here in relation to Whitworth Park and I'm also starting to get inundated with PM's asking more about the place so I hope you don't mind Origami but I'm just going to post a little FAQ on here which you can either merge into the main post or keep here so I can reference it in future! ( I imagine it will eventually get lost, but I thought this would be better here than posting in any random thread)

The Basics

Spoiler

How far is it from X building/Clubs/City Centre/Fallowfield?

Spoiler

What does my room code mean?!

Spoiler

How many people live in a flat?

Spoiler

Are the flats mixed sex? Is it true only boys live on the ground floor? What does single sex areas mean?!

Spoiler

Help I'm on the ground floor! Will I ever see a girl again?!

Spoiler

I've seen that Youtube video, it looks like a prison!

Spoiler

What will my room be like?

Spoiler

I'm a social person, I hear Whitworth is dull...

Spoiler

Still not convinced?

Spoiler

OK, turns out I did choose Whitworth Park because it was quiet, I prefer to study and don't drink

Spoiler

Is it full of international and mature students?!

Spoiler

Some Photos...

Spoiler

...and finally! Some random WP facts

Spoiler

Thanks for the help, but I still hate Whitworth Park! I want to live in Fallowfield or I want an ensuite.

Spoiler

ALSOOO one final point when it comes to facebook groups, the official whitworth park 2012/2013 group is here. DO NOT join or add any others! They are set up by PR companies who will just fill your wall and the groups up with spam to certain events. There is also a list of named and shamed for doing this but I won't post it here as it might not be allowed. Also, I'd reccommend only buying the halls freshers package which is is available in the group, again all the others are rip offs set up by silly PR companies!

OK, that was a little longer than expected...
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 82
Hi, I requested that myself and my friend be placed in rooms within the same flat.

We've now received our offers - My room number is G.7.22 whilst my friend's room number is G.8.14 - both in Fairfield Hall. Does this mean we have not been allocated rooms together?

Thanks!
Original post by Alevelsareboring

It seems really small and i'm quite big at 6'4"

I'm 6'5"

We will have to get used to prison-like accommodation.....and wear a helmet for first few weeks :biggrin:
----------------

Is there any way to have a mini-fridge in your room in Owens Park??
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 84
OMG!
i was given accommodation in Owens Park, Tower Court when I hadn't applied to it. I wasn't given any of my three choices and I called the office and they said all I can do is appeal? Can someone help me. :redface:
Reply 85
Original post by Hannah----
OMG!
i was given accommodation in Owens Park, Tower Court when I hadn't applied to it. I wasn't given any of my three choices and I called the office and they said all I can do is appeal? Can someone help me. :redface:

same! ive been given a place at Hulme Hall- really wanted ensuite :frown:
Original post by Black-Adder
I'm 6'5"

We will have to get used to prison-like accommodation.....and wear a helmet for first few weeks :biggrin:
----------------

Is there any way to have a mini-fridge in your room in Owens Park??

Haha yeah man i'm pretty sure i'm going to end up banging my head on the celling though lol.

Btw you can get a mini-fridge, i heard that it's allowed at uni.
Reply 87
I feel like Im going to cry...
I really need a self-catered place, I cannot afford catered and Owens Park... I've heard all about it. :s-smilie:
Reply 88
I really need a self-catered place, I cannot afford catered and Owens Park... I've heard all about it. :s-smilie:

heard what? are they bad!?

I'll swap! I wrote on your wall thing :smile:
Reply 90
Original post by 22AcaciaAvenue
I'll swap! I wrote on your wall thing :smile:

Hey :wink: I responded...
Reply 91
Original post by tdkr
heard what? are they bad!?

Well,
legend has it, alarms go off every night, people like to PARTYYYY!!:rolleyes:
Its just not my thing, guess I'm geeky like that. :biggrin:
Reply 92
Well,
legend has it, alarms go off every night, people like to PARTYYYY!!:rolleyes:
Its just not my thing, guess I'm geeky like that. :biggrin:

Really?

From what you've said, I wanna swap as well. It's weird how I stated in my preferences that I want an en-suite and I'm a quiet person and they've given me this. I dunno, might give it a shot, because it's the people who make the place what it is, and it's a different set of people every year.
Reply 93
I got an offer at Whitworth this morning, even though I applied for an ensuite room. I'm really looking for an ensuite, and I was wondering whether anyone would want to swap with me. By the way, how exactly does this swapping thing work?
Reply 94
Hey guys,

I applied for accommodation, all of which in Fallowfield. However I'm gutted to see I have been given an offer of Victoria Park. Really don't know why I got that offer :s-smilie:

Is it worth emailing them back for a change?
In Oak House can anyone tell me if we get desk chairs and a whiteboard/noticeboard already in our rooms? Trying to narrow down what to get in Ikea!
Reply 96
Hi everyone! after asking literally about 30 people who I know are going to manchester, I seem to be the only one who hasn't recieved an accommodation offer. Is any1 else in the same situation or does any1 at least know someone who also hasn't had an offer?
My choices were Allen, Oak and Richmond and i know people who have recieved offers from all of these :s-smilie:
Reply 97
Hi people!
I got offered a flat in Whitwork park but it wasn't any of my preferences :frown:
Does ANYBODY want to swap??? ill be more than willing
!

Inbox me if anyone wants to swap!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 98
i wouldnt mind swapping with anyone?

i have a place at Hulme Hall, Victoria Park Campus, not self-catered and it`s a standard room!!

inbox me?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 99
Would anyone (only girls though sorry) want to swap with me? I got a room in Derby, Whitworth House in the city campus. I'm looking for a single no basin in Oak House??

:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending