The Student Room Group

Cardiff Medical School Applicants 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1780
so are they drastically cutting back lectures?! I way prefer lectures!
Reply 1781
Original post by Elwyn
That does sound good. We don't have many tutorials here at Cardiff at the moment. Perhaps 5 or 6 in year 1 then around 15 in year 2. They are a great way of learning and certainly teach you a lot more in an hour than lectures do, so if they are introducing more of this style of learning then it can only be a good thing.

Yes I thought it sounded good too :smile: As a graduate I'm all too aware of how easy it is to zone out of lectures, whereas small groups are much more engaging = you learn more. That's why I chose Cardiff, so I'll be very disappointed if I've been misinformed!

Original post by emah123

I think it looks like they are, but I'm not 100% sure..
Reply 1782
Original post by emah123

You won't.
Am I the only one worrying about the grades?
Reply 1784
Original post by Member731
Am I the only one worrying about the grades?

im also worried about meeting the offer :frown:
Original post by emah123
im also worried about meeting the offer :frown:

What position are you in? :frown:

I'm pretty much screwed. 15% chance I meet the offer. Did you actually see the conditions or are you assuming they're AAA including bio and chem like I am :frown:
Does everybody get the opportunity to intercalate at Cardiff?
Reply 1787
What position are you in? :frown:

I'm pretty much screwed. 15% chance I meet the offer. Did you actually see the conditions or are you assuming they're AAA including bio and chem like I am :frown:

No i just assumed its AAA is it not?!? im really worried as at the moment Im on a B in Chemistry and Biology but an A in History just need to get 6 As in my A2 exams in the summer? i got B's in the jan chem 4 and biol 4 modules :frown:
do you think its achieveable to get my grades?

where do you stand with you grades?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1788
AAAc AA biol chem for me

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1789
Original post by neitherreason

I hope so! i would love to do an intercalated degree! on the website it says about 100 students intercalate i dont know if thats because thats all they allow to or because only 100 want to :smile: if your going on the offer day im sure we can ask then! :smile:
Reply 1790
Original post by Cheryl28
x

Original post by Elwyn
x

Original post by AspiringSurgeon!
x

Cheers for the help guys!! So glad to have more insight into the course (I was, and still am, feeling really bad for not knowing the course very well and feeling like I don't deserve an offer =S I'm just glad I'm getting more informed about it now!)

I'm not a huge fan of PBL either and it'd be a bit of a shame if there are going to introduce them a lot, but from the looks of things, seems like it might not ~ let's just hope that's the case!xD

Yushhhhh!!!! I'm glad there's another German speaker! :biggrin:
Haha danke für deine Tips. Ich habe früh mit den Inhalt angefangen damit ich Zeit für Past Papers habe. Bei früh meine ich den Anfang der Ostern Ferien haha normalerweise fange ich zwei oder drei Tage vor meinen Arbeiten an. Deswegen hatte ich nie Zeit für Past Papers. Ich konnte den Inhalt kaum fertig lernen xD. Wir haben die Materialien auch nicht in der Schule fertig gelernt. Ich bin ganz auf mich selbst eingestellt :frown: Und Deutsch muss Ich mir auch selbst beibringen :frown: Ich hoffe nur das es genug für eine A ist.

Falls ich was falsches geschrieben habe könntestdu bitte darauf deuten?
Danke!

Yeaah! Nichts wie ran! =D
Kein Problem~
Ich koennte versuchen, aber ich muss sagen, dass ich hab lange Zeit kein Deutsch gelernt/gesprochen und ich kann Deutsch eigentlich nicht mehr so gut. xD Aber dein Deutsch klingt gut und du scheinst fleissig. Also gibt es ueberhaupt keinen Grund, warum du nicht eine gute Note bekommen kannst. =P
Ja es kann ein bisschen entmutigend sein, wenn man sich selbst beibringen muss, aber keine Angst davor~ studiere nur die Lektionen, die du ehrlich in die Pruefung darueber schreiben wuerdest und ignoriere die Anderen. =P
erinnere dich an ein paar gute Saetze und Woerter und du sollst dein A bekommen. =P

Not sure if you've used these websites before but they're pretty good =D :
http://www.mein-deutschbuch.de/
http://www.dict.cc/
http://www.verbix.com/
And get the book called "Wort fuer Wort" if you haven't yet, it's awesome!!

Viel Glueck!
Anyone for deferred entry.? :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 1792
Original post by neitherreason

Original post by lrdoc13
I hope so! i would love to do an intercalated degree! on the website it says about 100 students intercalate i dont know if thats because thats all they allow to or because only 100 want to :smile: if your going on the offer day im sure we can ask then! :smile:

That is correct, about 100 intercalate either after 3rd or 4th year. There seems to be a lot of people wanting to intercalate as it gives you more points for the Foundation Programme. However not everyone who wants to intercalate is allowed to. Your academic scores in the first 3 or 4 years of medical school are taken into account which means people who've resat are unlikely to intercalate.
Cardiff does have a wide variety of intercalated degree programmes, both at Cardiff and at other welsh institutions. I was looking into intercalating in genetics a while back but have since decided intercalation is not for me, but I know many others can't wait to do it.
Reply 1793
If you are on the waiting list do you have to do anything? As in let them know that you're interested or something?
Reply 1794
Original post by emah123
No i just assumed its AAA is it not?!? im really worried as at the moment Im on a B in Chemistry and Biology but an A in History just need to get 6 As in my A2 exams in the summer? i got B's in the jan chem 4 and biol 4 modules :frown:

I think I mentioned this elsewhere in the thread, but I received 3 U's in my January A Level exams, and managed to get them up in order to meet my offer. It is definitely possible for you to receive the grades, and it's not just about working hard, but also about working smart. I found the examiners reports really helped me when I was working for my summer A Levels, and a massive pile of past papers. I also bothered my teachers a lot during revision, but they were always happy to give me a hand.

Original post by Elwyn
I was looking into intercalating in genetics a while back but have since decided intercalation is not for me, but I know many others can't wait to do it.

How come you think it's not for you?
Original post by Nimbus
Cheers for the help guys!! So glad to have more insight into the course (I was, and still am, feeling really bad for not knowing the course very well and feeling like I don't deserve an offer =S I'm just glad I'm getting more informed about it now!)

I'm not a huge fan of PBL either and it'd be a bit of a shame if there are going to introduce them a lot, but from the looks of things, seems like it might not ~ let's just hope that's the case!xD

Yeaah! Nichts wie ran! =D
Kein Problem~
Ich koennte versuchen, aber ich muss sagen, dass ich hab lange Zeit kein Deutsch gelernt/gesprochen und ich kann Deutsch eigentlich nicht mehr so gut. xD Aber dein Deutsch klingt gut und du scheinst fleissig. Also gibt es ueberhaupt keinen Grund, warum du nicht eine gute Note bekommen kannst. =P
Ja es kann ein bisschen entmutigend sein, wenn man sich selbst beibringen muss, aber keine Angst davor~ studiere nur die Lektionen, die du ehrlich in die Pruefung darueber schreiben wuerdest und ignoriere die Anderen. =P
erinnere dich an ein paar gute Saetze und Woerter und du sollst dein A bekommen. =P

Not sure if you've used these websites before but they're pretty good =D :
http://www.mein-deutschbuch.de/
http://www.dict.cc/
http://www.verbix.com/
And get the book called "Wort fuer Wort" if you haven't yet, it's awesome!!

Viel Glueck!

Thanks a lot! I will look at the websites once I post this reply :P

I hope you don't mind me asking, are you already studying at Cardiff or just an applicant like the rest of us? :smile:
Original post by emah123

where do you stand with you grades?

I'm on a B for chem and bio too but I need to write two As in bio and two As in chemistry to get an A overall. I also need an A or strong B for my A2 coursework (haven't started that). I haven't even started revising for biology :frown: I'm focused on maths. I need to write three exams for maths and get three As :/ Haven't started to do focused studying for german either. I only need a B in German to get an A overall so not worried much about it.

I have the entire book for chemistry and biology to go through, the entire AQA maths book (C3 and C4) than also D1. I have a german movie to watch, and two german books to go over and finally have my A2 biology coursework to do before coming tuesday. Sweet! :biggrin: I should be sitting more exams but I dropped out of those. I can't handle more! I was supposed to sit geography too but dropped it. Can't do that. I was supposed to retake S1 in maths and chemistry unit 2 but won't be doing that anymore.
So now I have 11 exams and one coursework. Sweet!

Are you in a better position? I think you are :smile:
Original post by Nimbus
Cheers for the help guys!! So glad to have more insight into the course

You clearly are an applicant... I'm such an idiot :doh:
Original post by Angury
I think I mentioned this elsewhere in the thread, but I received 3 U's in my January A Level exams, and managed to get them up in order to meet my offer. It is definitely possible for you to receive the grades, and it's not just about working hard, but also about working smart. I found the examiners reports really helped me when I was working for my summer A Levels, and a massive pile of past papers. I also bothered my teachers a lot during revision, but they were always happy to give me a hand.

3 Us JUST in your Jan results? How about your AS grades?
Reply 1799
Original post by Angury

hey thank you! im really worried though!! :frown: what did you do inorder to improve your grades. and what did you get in the end? did you have good AS ums that gave you some leeway... you see i dont have that im literally on the borderline of A in all three of my subjects at AS! :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending