The Student Room Group

What kind of plates and bowls are you getting?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by tillytots
To be honest I'd recommend getting something a bit different with plates, if they stand out, people won't use them as they have more chance of getting busted. Stock up on plenty of knives and forks though. I bought a set which had four of each and now I have one knife and one fork only.

How did that happen?
Reply 21
Argos has a 50 piece set on offer for £20 at the moment with plates, side plates, bowls, mugs, glasses, tumblers and cutlery in it. Got mine from there and I'm quite happy with it - was expecting ****ty stuff but it's not too bad.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Well my dad is trying to redecorate the house a bit. He has plates which have been in the house for probably 8 years or so (great condition though). So I'm just having those for free. I might be able to leech some cutlery off him too!

If in doubt, there is an Ikea walking distance away from my halls, so I can always go and stock up. Hopefully the plates will last for at least a few weeks.
Original post by Negaduck
How did that happen?

stolen.
Reply 25
Original post by Hanny18
Argos has a 50 piece set on offer for £20 at the moment with plates, side plates, bowls, mugs, glasses, tumblers and cutlery in it. Got mine from there and I'm quite happy with it - was expecting ****ty stuff but it's not too bad.

50??? You need a spoon, a knife, a (microwaveable) bowl and a glass for meals, include a saucepan and wooden spoon for cooking.
i bought a set of plates (big and small) and some bowls from tesco for next to nothing.. they are dishwasher and microwave safe (even though my uni halls will have neither!) and just plain white... cheap.. will end up chipping etc but so what they can be replaced easily and cheaply
Reply 27
Original post by Origami Bullets
I've got my eye on these ones :redface:

In my defence, they are a lot like these Emma Bridgewater ones, which are substantially more expensive at £16 each! On second thoughts, that's a really crap excuse for buying new plates. I'll have to come up with a better one now :s-smilie:

You're right, as soon as you said they look like a more expensive designer one...I was just :unimpressed: think of a better excuse like if you're going to pass them down to generations.

How about these?
http://www.tesco.com/direct/tesco-circus-12-piece-dinner-set/207-2303.prd?pageLevel=&skuId=207-2303
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 28
For £24.99 in argos, you get pretty much everything you need apart from glasses/mugs. Kitchen utensils, 3 pots, dinner set and cutlery set. Suppose the only thing missing is a frying pan.

You might also want a cheese grater, i got one in there for £1.99.
Reply 29
Original post by Dbrown18
For £24.99 in argos, you get pretty much everything you need apart from glasses/mugs. Kitchen utensils, 3 pots, dinner set and cutlery set. Suppose the only thing missing is a frying pan.

You might also want a cheese grater, i got one in there for £1.99.

Argos was my one stop shop for uni. Spent £120 and got absolutely everything

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 30
I just go for cheapo ones, since they will be easily broken / stolen anyway. Last year I got a ton of free plastic ones with cereal, which I mostly use now, best bowls ever and unbreakable if dropped!
o and another recommendation here!
put some cutlery in the kitchen and hide the rest in your room.....some idiot stole all the forks in my halls so hardly anyone had forks by the end of the year!
Raided our cupboards! Unused Limoges porcelain? yes please!
I have taken two big plates. One soft orange shades with a blue border and one with an Arty Duck on it. Then three blue rimmed little plates. And a very pretty blue blown glass bowl with a foot. Feet plates. Yas.
I also bought a bowl for 1,50 at Hema :biggrin: holiday souvenir?...plus it's plain white so I can paint it myself.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 33
I got a 12 piece dinner set from Wilkinson's for £2 in the sale (along with 20p oven gloves, coasters and a sugar jar!) because they got a whole new kitchen department :biggrin:

The only thing is that it's the most vilest green I've ever seen. I would of liked something a bit prettier, but I guess it would all get broken and stuff anyway :tongue:

It looks like this one on their site except it's all green with no white bits.
Original post by RyanT
John Lewis darrrhlin.

Just kidding, I'm just taking a few sets from dads house.

Have fun parting with your cash, kids :P

Same here just taking all the stuff out of my house that is unused, ended up with everything i need apart from tongs and all this for free :biggrin:
Reply 35
Ikea basic bowls and 40 pence! Call me an organised loser, but I've painted my initals on the bottom of each with nail varnish so they don't get mixed up- not that I would care if people borrowed them but it's just easier sometimes to know what belongs to who haha
Original post by Luxray
You're right, as soon as you said they look like a more expensive designer one...I was just :unimpressed: think of a better excuse like if you're going to pass them down to generations.

How about these?
http://www.tesco.com/direct/tesco-circus-12-piece-dinner-set/207-2303.prd?pageLevel=&skuId=207-2303

I'm afraid there's already a set of crockery like that in the family! And I can't see my offspring being too impressed if all I passed on was a set of Wilko / Tesco crockery!

Now, the last set was only 40p a piece, and it is plain white and it is always being 'borrowed' . . . . it's an investment purchase that will see me spending less time doing other people's washing up and more time doing my reading. That's about as good as the excuses come on this one I'm afraid :redface:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 37
I have black pot ones from Tesco that cost hardly anything and my Mum bought them anyway.
im just going into third year, and i bought 2 plain white big plates, 2 matching small plates and 2 matching bowls. because they were all stupidly cheap. and if still not met anyone that has the same set as me, and they havnt gone missing...

i also have my trusty pasta bowl which iv owned since about 2006 or something stupid.

then a mix match of mugs and cups and glasses, mostly free macdonald ones from last year, as me and my mates had an obsession with collecting them all hahaha.

then my cutlery is what my mum had stashed away, with alot of my pans and stuff, dont bother spending alot of money of kitchen stuff, its not worth it!
Reply 39
Original post by Origami Bullets
I'm afraid there's already a set of crockery like that in the family! And I can't see my offspring being too impressed if all I passed on was a set of Wilko / Tesco crockery!

Now, the last set was only 40p a piece, and it is plain white and it is always being 'borrowed' . . . . it's an investment purchase that will see me spending less time doing other people's washing up and more time doing my reading. That's about as good as the excuses come on this one I'm afraid :redface:

Oh poo. Did you notice the blue version they also had there on the tesco site?
And yeah thats a good reason, thankfully I'm just living with a random person next year and so if he did want to borrow my stuff, I'll still have another 3 sets left to us. I'm just worried this random person is going to turn out to be some loud, drunk and unhygienic wierdo :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending