The Student Room Group

Advanced Higher Chemistry 2012-2013

Scroll to see replies

If you 8aii NaOH I wrote 0 would I get penalised again for c and cause my answer was wrong or do u get consecentuial marks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by FeelingofSuccess
Ah, stupid me! Any idea how many marks I'd lose for this (out of 3)?

It's hard to say.

If the marking scheme lets you use n=6 then to divide by 2 and you have the correct units to get three marks, you'd probably get 2/3.

If the marking scheme stipulates you must use n=3, probably 0 or 1. However I think the first method is equally as valid (that's what I'd do), so as long as your units were correct I'd say 2/3. Not a guarantee though.

EDIT: I'm going to say that you might get 1.5/3 for the first method as you also didn't get the correct answer.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Zahra Tasleen
If you 8aii NaOH I wrote 0 would I get penalised again for c and cause my answer was wrong or do u get consecentuial marks

Posted from TSR Mobile

It was 0 order w.r.t NaOH though.
Reply 1983
Original post by GermanScientist
What did you have as the GFM?

divided 0.942/116 = 0.008 moles

And since 1 Ni ----> 2 C4H8O2N2

Ni moles = 0.004

m= n x g = 0.2348g

% = 0.2348/0.968 x 100
= 24.3%
Reply 1984
It was 0 order w.r.t NaOH though.

I put 1 for that and as a result i got

b) rate=k(C4H9Br)(NaOH)
c) k= 1875mol l-1 s-1

would i get full marks for those as it's a follow through error?
Reply 1985
I'm a chemistry tutor (I used to answer lots of questions on here in the past, but have been away from the site for quite a while) and I have just had a quick look through the paper. I think part A was pretty hard especially the unit 1 and 2 stuff (not too many examples of that stuff in the past papers). Also a few 'trick' questions thrown in like the benzene to cyclohexane one, we spend so much time drumming into students in that benzene undergoes substitution reactions- and then they throw in an addition. However, I thought that section B was quite straightforward as long as you had the PPAs learned - not sure my students did, even though they were told too many time :rolleyes:
It's hard to say.

If the marking scheme lets you use n=6 then to divide by 2 and you have the correct units to get three marks, you'd probably get 2/3.

If the marking scheme stipulates you must use n=3, probably 0 or 1. However I think the first method is equally as valid (that's what I'd do), so as long as your units were correct I'd say 2/3. Not a guarantee though.

EDIT: I'm going to say that you might get 1.5/3 for the first method as you also didn't get the correct answer.

Okay thanks a lot! :smile:

Quite happy overall as I am pretty sure I got an A :smile:
Reply 1987
Looking over answers etc I don't think I've done as badly as I originally thought I had! Phew! Thanks to everyone who's been posting solutions :smile:
Original post by n00b/
I put 1 for that and as a result i got

b) rate=k(C4H9Br)(NaOH)
c) k= 1875mol l-1 s-1

would i get full marks for those as it's a follow through error?

Probably not as your units are incorrect for a reaction of order 2.
OMG!! I read the word dehydrating agent as drying agent also! FML!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MOHSINM31
OMG!! I read the word dehydrating agent as drying agent also! FML!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

If they wrote dehydrating reagent I reckon I would have been fine
Reply 1991
Probably not as your units are incorrect for a reaction of order 2.

probably 1/1 for b
& 1/2 for c
Original post by n00b/
divided 0.942/116 = 0.008 moles

And since 1 Ni ----> 2 C4H8O2N2

Ni moles = 0.004

m= n x g = 0.2348g

% = 0.2348/0.968 x 100
= 24.3%

I don't think you factored in the 7H2O, did you?

Hmm it's hard to say. 1 at the max, but I would say maybe a half-mark for working out the percentage. I can't remember if they're allowed to give half marks though. But I think there's roughly be 4 points here, so 4 half-marks to be gained:

Calculate the moles of the complex

Knowing it's a 1 mole to 1 mole ratio

Working out the mass of nickel in the sample

Calculating the percentage by mass

Original post by n00b/
probably 1/1 for b
& 1/2 for c

It'd be 0 for (b) I'm afraid. It's one mark for the rate equation, or 0 for a wrong one.

For (c) I think it could be 1 mark out of the possible 2. You carried on with your mistake but your units were, unfortunately, incorrect.
Original post by Asklepios
What did you put for the empirical formula?

like CH6O or something

im sitting on about 62-63% so as long as i get at least 8/25 in my report i should get a B which is what i need :bl::bl:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by kirstyhr
Looking over answers etc I don't think I've done as badly as I originally thought I had! Phew! Thanks to everyone who's been posting solutions :smile:

Glad to hear it! :biggrin:
Reply 1996
I don't think you factored in the 7H2O, did you?

Hmm it's hard to say. 1 at the max, but I would say maybe a half-mark for working out the percentage. I can't remember if they're allowed to give half marks though. But I think there's roughly be 4 points here, so 4 half-marks to be gained:

Calculate the moles of the complex

Knowing it's a 1 mole to 1 mole ratio

Working out the mass of nickel in the sample

Calculating the percentage by mass

Nope, just hope I get a slightly generous marker.
Reply 1997
It'd be 0 for (b) I'm afraid. It's one mark for the rate equation, or 0 for a wrong one.

For (c) I think it could be 1 mark out of the possible 2. You carried on with your mistake but your units were, unfortunately, incorrect.

Yes but using my answers to part a led me to get the rate equation of

rate=k(NaOH)(C4H9Br)

surely they wouldn't penalise me for part b if i already lost the mark in part a
Original post by n00b/
Nope, just hope I get a slightly generous marker.

Contrary to what some people believe, markers actually want to give marks as opposed to deducting them, so I wouldn't worry about it too much :tongue:
Original post by n00b/
Yes but using my answers to part a led me to get the rate equation of

rate=k(NaOH)(C4H9Br)

surely they wouldn't penalise me for part b if i already lost the mark in part a

Oh sorry, I looked at the wrong bit there. Yes you may be correct with that one. However if you're adding up your marks I'd discount it and see what you get if you count that mark as 0, then see what you have before you add it in (in case it doesn't make too much difference in case they don't give it).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending