The Student Room Group

Advanced Higher Chemistry 2012-2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by I am Ace
Did you reference the source of instructions on how to prepare the chemicals?

yes, I got it from a textbook
Reply 381
Original post by deedee123
I know that in english you're penalised for writing too much. If your report is too long the marker will get fed up-remember he/she will have quite a few to get through :tongue: i'd ask your teacher for advice.

Yeah i think i will have to speak to my teacher.. She might just gave me pointers on where to cut down if need be :smile:

Original post by Asklepios
it will be fine, they say 2000-2500 words minimum - what they will look for is that your english is concise i.e. have you written as much information as possible using the lowest number of words.

Thanks, yeah, that would be similar to my bio report as, although it was over, the teacher did say it would be fine. Here's hoping !
Original post by alam95
Yeah i think i will have to speak to my teacher.. She might just gave me pointers on where to cut down if need be :smile:

Thanks, yeah, that would be similar to my bio report as, although it was over, the teacher did say it would be fine. Here's hoping !

As long as the extra bit is all relevant chemistry and not having words for the sake of words. E.g.:

"25cm3 of distilled water was pipetted into a 250cm3 beaker" is good but "Distilled water was poured into a beaker, and a 25cm3 pipette was used to draw out some of the distilled water until it reached the graduation mark. This was then transferred to a dry 250cm3 beaker" is going over the top and is not concise.
it will be fine, they say 2000-2500 words minimum - what they will look for is that your english is concise i.e. have you written as much information as possible using the lowest number of words.

It doesn't say 2000-2500 words minimum, it says it should be between that, meaning a minimum of 2000 and a maximum of 2500.
Reply 384
I think it counts numbers as words though so the tables might count as a lot of words!

And no its not 'measuring g'

Then it's definitely Young's modulus or LASERS, I shall guess correctly!
It doesn't say 2000-2500 words minimum, it says it should be between that, meaning a minimum of 2000 and a maximum of 2500.

The marking scheme says 2000-2500 is for guidance only

Then it's definitely Young's modulus or LASERS, I shall guess correctly!

Nope :tongue:

a guideline to doing well :tongue: where does it say it's only a guideline?
a guideline to doing well :tongue: where does it say it's only a guideline?

http://www.sqa.org.uk/pastpapers/papers/instructions/2011/mi_AH_Chemistry_Investigation-Report_2011.pdf

Page 6

Touche, however i do believe its sensible to not go drastically over this limit, like writing 8000 words. The examiner will get bored of your report if theres too much in it.
Touche, however i do believe its sensible to not go drastically over this limit, like writing 8000 words. The examiner will get bored of your report if theres too much in it.

I am sure quite a lot of people will be in the 3500 to 4500 range though
I am sure quite a lot of people will be in the 3500 to 4500 range though

probably :tongue:
Reply 391

I have tried to keep my report as concise as possible, however there is a lot in the actual investigation, and therefore results ... hence a high word count. I'm unsure whether stuff like the list of apparatus and calculations are to be counted in the word count. Do you know?
my report is about 2,300 words and looks ridiculously short in comparison to everyone elses :redface: my investigation is mainly the background chemistry theory and the discussion/evaluation as my experiments weren't really quantitative.. so worried I'll do badly :frown:
Original post by alam95
I have tried to keep my report as concise as possible, however there is a lot in the actual investigation, and therefore results ... hence a high word count. I'm unsure whether stuff like the list of apparatus and calculations are to be counted in the word count. Do you know?

how high is it? tbh as long as its not something ridiculous like 10,000 words the marker wont notice, you're not required to give a word count and they're not supposed to try and count it (not that they would want to anyway) but the guidelines are there to help you get a good grade so i'd try and stick to it as much as possible. Everything is counted except tables/graphs

has anyone started studying for the final? i haven't, i really feel like i should have started by now :redface:
Reply 394
how high is it? tbh as long as its not something ridiculous like 10,000 words the marker wont notice, you're not required to give a word count and they're not supposed to try and count it (not that they would want to anyway) but the guidelines are there to help you get a good grade so i'd try and stick to it as much as possible. Everything is counted except tables/graphs

has anyone started studying for the final? i haven't, i really feel like i should have started by now :redface:

It's currently 4000 and ive got evaluation and summary to go. Aah really? I thought you had to put in a word count ! :/ Yupp.. i've been trying to stick to it as closely as possible :smile:

I've not started studying for the final yet.... for any of my subjects! I was planning to but its just impossible in the holidays!
Original post by alam95
It's currently 4000 and ive got evaluation and summary to go. Aah really? I thought you had to put in a word count ! :/ Yupp.. i've been trying to stick to it as closely as possible :smile:

I've not started studying for the final yet.... for any of my subjects! I was planning to but its just impossible in the holidays!

as long as its clear and concise i'm sure it'll be fine, as someone said previously it's a guideline so it's not as strict. Ah well, chemistry is the only one i need to study for so i have a good 6 weeks to dedicate to it lol.
Reply 396

Nope :tongue:

This is a sticky problem, oh, I've got it, viscosity? :colone:

Also, do you know your contents page?

I feel that my contents page is too detailed it's like

Abstract
Experiment 1: Title
Aim
Procedure
Results
Do I need to include those titles (aim, procedure results) in the contents page?
This is a sticky problem, oh, I've got it, viscosity? :colone:

Also, do you know your contents page?

I feel that my contents page is too detailed it's like

Abstract
Experiment 1: Title
Aim
Procedure
Results
Do I need to include those titles (aim, procedure results) in the contents page?

Nope, not viscosity, although its a similar field of physics...

And yeah thats fine, I've got something similar but I have an overall introduction with all my aims, so its:

Summary
Introduction
Experiment 1
- Method
- Uncertainties
- Results
- Conclusion
- Evaluation
Experiment 2
- Method
- Uncertainties
- Results
- Conclusion
- Evaluation
Experiment 3
- Method
- Uncertainties
- Results
- Conclusion
- Evaluation
Overall Discussion
References
Reply 398
Nope, not viscosity, although its a similar field of physics...

And yeah thats fine, I've got something similar but I have an overall introduction with all my aims, so its:

Summary
Introduction
Experiment 1
- Method
- Uncertainties
- Results
- Conclusion
- Evaluation
Experiment 2
- Method
- Uncertainties
- Results
- Conclusion
- Evaluation
Experiment 3
- Method
- Uncertainties
- Results
- Conclusion
- Evaluation
Overall Discussion
References

Did you take an average of your results to find the average rate of oscillation?
If you did, did you calculate the mean uncertainty or standard deviation?
Did you take an average of your results to find the average rate of oscillation?
If you did, did you calculate the mean uncertainty or standard deviation?

I left it for ~20 minutes, and then divided the number of complete oscillations by the time taken. Because I did it spectrophotometrically, I had a proper absorbance-time graph with peaks and troughs so it was easy to determine the frequency of oscillation. But this meant that I didn't really have uncertainties. I guess I could have done standard deviation and standard error but I didn't.

If you are just measuring the time between the two colour changes then your uncertainties will be in stopwatch measurement, and I think also in stopping at the right time which would be half the period (not sure). You could also do standard error - (standard deviation)/sqrt(n).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending