The Student Room Group

Advanced Higher Chemistry 2012-2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 580
Original post by Bonzo10
Just going through the past papers by unit by year that our teacher gave us. It's unbelievable how many multi-choice questions are just straight repeats!

Oh that's a good idea to go through it unit by unit. I'm going to make sure I understand all the multiple choice then if they repeat themselves :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 581
Original post by emma_1995
Oh that's a good idea to go through it unit by unit. I'm going to make sure I understand all the multiple choice then if they repeat themselves :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's not EVERY question, and I've only been focusing on unit 3 today, so can't speak for units 1 and 2. Have a look through questions 25-40 (roughly) of the multi-choice for the past ten years. You'll see a few repeats.
Original post by I am Ace
So what is covalent character?
I know (think) that ionic character is how electronegative and if it conducts when in solution/ molten.

I think it is just how low the electronegativity is-the opposite of ionic character.
Reply 583
Original post by deedee123
I think it is just how low the electronegativity is-the opposite of ionic character.

Yea, you must be right :smile:
Reply 584

Original post by Bonzo10
It's not EVERY question, and I've only been focusing on unit 3 today, so can't speak for units 1 and 2. Have a look through questions 25-40 (roughly) of the multi-choice for the past ten years. You'll see a few repeats.

I just remembered Khan academy has an organic chemistry playlist!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-VCk3WrGlM&list=EC7305D1BC80498DA6
Reply 585
Why does the shape go from trigonal planar to tetrahedral?

BF 3 + F - --> BF 4 -
Why does the shape go from trigonal planar to tetrahedral?

BF 3 + F - --> BF 4 -

In BF3
Boron has 3 bonding electrons
Each fluorine has 1 = 3 electrons
=> In total = 6e = 3 pairs (all bonding, no lone pairs)

In terms of VSEPR structures, 3 pairs means a trigonal planar shape

In BF4
Boron has 3 bonding electrons
Each fluorine has 1 = 4 electrons
Overall 1- charge = 1 electron
=> In total = 8e = 4 pairs (all bonding, no lone pairs)

This is tetrahedral
Reply 587
What's VSEPR?
Ah so for BF4 the other electron comes from the Fluorine (a dative covalent bond)?
What's VSEPR?
Ah so for BF4 the other electron comes from the Fluorine (a dative covalent bond)?

Valence shell electron pair repulsion
Reply 589

Had a look, slowly starting to get it, I'm going to try some questions in that link (question bank) you suggested for someone else.
Although, just had a look, do tthey have solutions?
This one btw http://www.educationscotland.gov.uk/Images/questions_tcm4-121203.pdf
If not does anybody have a link to unit based past paper questions?
Reply 590
good to see everyone helping each other,

I am so ****ed for this hoping for a C
dont need it but yeah

keep 3hunna my fellow chemists
Reply 591
Had a look, slowly starting to get it, I'm going to try some questions in that link (question bank) you suggested for someone else.
Although, just had a look, do tthey have solutions?
This one btw http://www.educationscotland.gov.uk/Images/questions_tcm4-121203.pdf
If not does anybody have a link to unit based past paper questions?

http://www.educationscotland.gov.uk/Images/answers_to_questions_tcm4-117086.doc this is the answers to the additional questions :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 592

You are a top lad!
Reply 593
What general trends of the periodic table should we know?
I know you can work them out in the exam, but just so I can write a list and put it on my wall or something
What general trends of the periodic table should we know?
I know you can work them out in the exam, but just so I can write a list and put it on my wall or something

the ones from higher, like increasing nuclear charge across a period etc

then all the hydride, oxide & chloride ones- the bonding and structor of them, their acid/base character and their reaction with water.
Reply 595
Anyone have a way of remembering wwhich is the solvent and which is the solute?
Anyone have a way of remembering wwhich is the solvent and which is the solute?

what do you mean?
Reply 597
what do you mean?

How to remember if the liquid is the solute or solvent but I've just found out that a good way is to remember that water is the universal solvent!
How to remember if the liquid is the solute or solvent but I've just found out that a good way is to remember that water is the universal solvent!

when would it ask you that? equilibrium constant?
Reply 599
when would it ask you that? equilibrium constant?

Just in case it comes up I don't want to get them confused!
Also solute is clearly derived from soluble - duh, Ace :rolleyes:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending