The Student Room Group

Advanced Higher Chemistry 2012-2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zahra Tasleen
Don't understand sorry

Posted from TSR Mobile

He means to find the major product you have to apply markovnikovs rule :smile: (I think)
Don't understand sorry

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well the answer is D. It cannot be C because but-2-ene, when Cl or I add on would only add onto Carbon 2 and 3 as this is where the double bond breaks, so C cannot be an answer. Also option A and B imply that only Cl or only I can add however they would compete as depicted in option D.
Reply 982
Original post by TheFOMaster
He means to find the major product you have to apply markovnikovs rule :smile: (I think)

Don't understand sorry

Posted from TSR Mobile

I do!

But I didn't realise it was asking for both the products.

OK, so Alkene Halogenation forms 2 products each with an Alkene attached to 2 Halogens

So where will these Halogens likely go?

Hlogens are Electrophiles remember and the double bond is electron rich
Reply 983
I'm also stuck on these 2 thanks in advanceImageUploadedByStudent Room1369754432.136950.jpg 32 and 33

Posted from TSR Mobile

In 33 -You need to know that benzene is planar The answer can't be A or B. The benzene in D is substituted with an alkyl group so it isn't D either. C is a benzene ring substituted with a chlorine atom-so the answer is C
I'm also stuck on these 2 thanks in advanceImageUploadedByStudent Room1369754432.136950.jpg 32 and 33

Posted from TSR Mobile

Question 32: Sodium OH would react with C as it would provide an NaOH to break the ester linkage open and form sodium ethanoate and ethanol. Option D is an ether and you know they don't react. Option B is an alkene however it would result in an addition not a complete reaction, also option A cannot react as it already contains a OH group.

Question 33: We know that benzene is planar, so option C is correct as a H is only replaced by a Cl. However (just in case you ask) option D would be incorrect as the CH3 would mean the molecule is no longer planar.

Does that help, or shall I come round to your house :tongue: ?????
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by SanahAhmed
Question 32: Sodium OH would react with C as it would provide an NaOH to break the ester linkage open and form sodium ethanoate and ethanol. Option D is an ether and you know they don't react. Option B is an alkene however it would result in an addition not a complete reaction, also option A cannot react as it already contains a OH group.

Question 33: We know that benzene is planar, so option C is correct as a H is only replaced by a Cl. However (just in case you ask) option D would be incorrect as the CH3 would mean the molecule is no longer planar.

Does that help, or shall I come round to your house :tongue: ?????

No that's fine

Posted from TSR Mobile
P1305281535512.jpg

see how for question 2(a) and (b) i'm confused at what values/equation to use to work out the answer?
2a is -257.5kJ mol-1 and b is 199 kJ mol-1
Original post by laurenmackessack
Your lucky i have advanced higher geography the day before chemistry! haha good luck for french

Original post by emma_1995
YES. I've got French tomorrow as well (higher) and have been basically neglecting it since chemistry is the AH.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh, the day before is brutal! Good luck!

Yup, I have Higher french too and have been focussing on that for a while.. Haha! :tongue:
Let's hope we'll all be okay! Good luck to y'both :smile:
Original post by FeelingofSuccess
Anyone else finding it annoyingly difficult to revise for 2 exams when they are so close together? I have French tomorrow as well as this Chemistry exam!

im the exact same, i have geography on thursday and have done no studying at all for it :tongue:
Can someone please help me in these questions?
Answers are in bold

Which of the following alcohols would have
the greatest entropy at 90 ºC?
A Propan-1-ol
B Propan-2-ol
C Butan-1-ol
D Butan-2-ol

The activation energies for the reactions
(1) H2 (g) + I2 (g) 2HI(g)
(2) 2HI(g) H2 (g) + I2 (g)

are 165 kJ and 179 kJ respectively.
The enthalpy change for reaction (2) is

A –14 kJ
B +14 kJ
C –344 kJ
D +344 kJ.

Thanks in advance :smile:
Reply 990
Why is the carbocation that is the most stable, the one that produces the major product?

Shouldn't the least stable, be the one that needs a nucleophile the most?
Reply 991
Original post by FeelingofSuccess
Oh, the day before is brutal! Good luck!

Yup, I have Higher french too and have been focussing on that for a while.. Haha! :tongue:
Let's hope we'll all be okay! Good luck to y'both :smile:

Thanks :smile: good luck to you too :smile: can't wait till Friday afternoon when I will be free :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 992
Original post by stephanieahahah
P1305281535512.jpg

see how for question 2(a) and (b) i'm confused at what values/equation to use to work out the answer?
2a is -257.5kJ mol-1 and b is 199 kJ mol-1

Draw out the structure of ethanol and count how many C-H bonds there are plus the O-H bond. Look up the mean bond enthalpies in the data booklet for these bonds. Times the value for C-H bond with how many there are and add the value for 0-H. This should give you the enthalpy of formation of this compound as it is the sum of all its component bonds :smile:
Reply 993
Original post by MOHSINM31
Can someone help me with section A Q10 2012? I know how to use the equilibrium formula but I'm struggling to figure out the mole/concentration to put in the formula... Please help me!

Posting a link to the question increases your chances of being answered
Reply 994
I deleted my last post(Q10-2012) as I managed to figured it out.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 995
Original post by I am Ace
Posting a link to the question increases your chances of being answered

I'll keep that in mind for next time, I know how to do it now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 996
Original post by MOHSINM31
I deleted my last post(Q10-2012) as I managed to figured it out.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You don't have to delete it, buddy, you can simply edit it saying

EDIT: got it now
Original post by BaconMan
Draw out the structure of ethanol and count how many C-H bonds there are plus the O-H bond. Look up the mean bond enthalpies in the data booklet for these bonds. Times the value for C-H bond with how many there are and add the value for 0-H. This should give you the enthalpy of formation of this compound as it is the sum of all its component bonds :smile:

thank you :smile: i've got it now, i didn't realise you have to take the sublimation value of carbon
Reply 998
how can you tell if a molecule is planar or not?
has anyone learned how to do the whole partial pressure thing or just leaving that cos i have never seen it being asked?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending