Scroll to see replies

Original post by deedee123
Y is +3, Ba 2+, O -2

3 + (2x2) + (-2x7) = -7

so Cu3 = +7
so Cu = +7/3
= +2.33

awww, thank you!
I have a weird feeling that the SQA are going to put in a lot of organic chemistry this year, just my guess! My luck as well, because i hate that unit and it filled the higher paper last year :tongue:
Reply 1182
Original post by SanahAhmed
Can someone please help me with this question:

Screen Shot 2013-05-29 at 16.48.10.png
I understand why C and D are not options, as they can not be oxidised, however I don't get the difference between primary and secondary alcohols.

Primary -> Aldehydes -> carboxylic acids
Secondary -> ketones -> No further

Does that help you solve it?
Asklepios

Thanks!
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by deedee123
thats a terrible picture :tongue: what concentration change are you talking about?

It okay I figured it out you use the equation at the top of the page thanks anyways

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1184
I've compiled three separate Word documents each with a particular unit's PPAs in it, in bullet point form. I've tried to summarise as best as possible, though there may be some stuff omitted; I tried to pick out the most crucial points. It is still quite informative but I thought it would be useful for trying to memorise a list, if that's your thing.

Let me know if you want them.
Really not confident with this exam. The more I study, the more I realise how much I dont know :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1186
Original post by Daniel-G1995
Really not confident with this exam. The more I study, the more I realise how much I dont know :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

A few pages back there is a really handy flowchart for the pathways in Unit 3. Try split it up into sections, ensuring you memorise one section fully, before moving onto the next. Can't remember the page but it was posted yesterday.
Bright Red Book

pH of Benzoic acid

Concentration = 0.2 mol/l

pH=12(pKalogc)\displaystyle pH = \dfrac{1}{2}(pK_a-logc)

I get 1.6, but the answer is 2.45
Do partial pressures ever come up?
Reply 1189
Original post by I am Ace
Bright Red Book

pH of Benzoic acid

Concentration = 0.2 mol/l

pH=12(pKalogc)\displaystyle pH = \dfrac{1}{2}(pK_a-logc)

I get 1.6, but the answer is 2.45

I just done this calculation and got 2.45
Did you put-
pH=1/2 x 4.2-(1/2log(0.2))
=2.45
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by I am Ace
Do partial pressures ever come up?

I have never seen it come up in the papers I have (10 years old), so I think it is safe to say no :smile:
Original post by FeelingofSuccess
I have never seen it come up in the papers I have (10 years old), so I think it is safe to say no :smile:

woooooooooooh
Anyone else really cramming for this exam? :tongue:

I have done units 2 and 3, but still got unit 1! Hoping it'll be okay as i find it fairly easy to understand and there's not much memory work (plus it's a half unit)!

Pretty nervous for this exam..
Reply 1193
Original post by Bonzo10
I've compiled three separate Word documents each with a particular unit's PPAs in it, in bullet point form. I've tried to summarise as best as possible, though there may be some stuff omitted; I tried to pick out the most crucial points. It is still quite informative but I thought it would be useful for trying to memorise a list, if that's your thing.

Let me know if you want them.

Hit me up with that please man! I struggle with the PPA's
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg
How do you do question 28?
Reply 1195
Original post by Daniel-G1995

Posted from TSR Mobile

Look at this buddy, it helps alot
Reaction pathways unit 3.png
Original post by Lala:
I just done this calculation and got 2.45
Did you put-
pH=1/2 x 4.2-(1/2log(0.2))
=2.45

I was looking at the bloody wrong question, put in the numbers in the question before
aaaaah
thanks
Reply 1197
Original post by Shengis14
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg
How do you do question 28?

I think the answer is A because it is a tertiary haloalkane, meaning that the C that holds the Cl also holds three alkyl groups. Alkyl groups are electron donating/feed in electron density to the bond, thereby stabilising the positive charge in the process.

This is also the reason why they tertiary haloalkanes proceed by an Sn1 mechanism.
(edited 10 years ago)
i get entropy and how an increase is changing from solid - liquid - gas, decrease is the reverse... but i can never get my head around these questions?

chem23.JPG
Original post by Blue7195
i get entropy and how an increase is changing from solid - liquid - gas, decrease is the reverse... but i can never get my head around these questions?

chem23.JPG

Is the answer D?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending