The Student Room Group

Anybody who took English language/English Literature at A-Level help please?

Hello! This is basically a continuation of my last thread regarding my AS Level choices...

I was just wondering if there was anyone out there who took either English Language or English Literature (or even both!) at AS/A2 who was willing to tell me what their other options/subjects were at AS/A2?

This is mainly as I'm intrigued as to what other people took that would go nicely alongside both English Language/Literature at A-Level!

Once again, thank-you and all responses are massively appreciated! :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nevergiveup0
Hello! This is basically a continuation of my last thread regarding my AS Level choices...

I was just wondering if there was anyone out there who took either English Language or English Literature (or even both!) at AS/A2 who was willing to tell me what their other options/subjects were at AS/A2?

This is mainly as I'm intrigued as to what other people took that would go nicely alongside both English Language/Literature at A-Level!

Took English literature and language combined (mainly because i'm indecisive and at the time was unsure of the difference between English Lit and Lang).
My other options at AS were Music, Geology and Biology and I dropped Music at AS it was surprisingly hard. The good thing about English is that whatever you do, it'll be helpful such as improving written and reading skills. However taking it at University may not be a great idea if you are unsure of what you want to do after graduation.
Reply 2
Thank-you! Biology is one of my other options :biggrin: How did you find that? Did you think it was difficult?

and thank-you for the advice :smile:
I did English Language AS, along with Drama, History and Film Studies :smile:
Reply 4
That sounds like a really good mix of all the different subjects yet I can't study either drama or history as I didn't take them at GCSE and we did the equivalent to film studies which is media, and the media course my college runs is the same one I did at GCSE so I've been told it's not wise to repeat the course, which is a shame really as I enjoyed it greatly. :biggrin:
I did Philosophy, Chemistry and Psychology with LangLit. Strange combination I know...
Reply 6

I took English Lit
History
Media
French (dropped at AS)

They were all pretty essay based which was good and bad at the same time, as I kinda did get bored of writing essays lol :tongue: but 50% of my grade in media was practical so that kinda broke it up. But writing loads of essays did help with my overall writing skills. I think my subjects went really well together, I managed to find links between all of them :smile:
Reply 7
I did English Lit, Spanish, Latin (I know... don't judge me) and Music.
In my school at least English Lit (Language isn't offered) seems to be combined with almost anything. It will help with pretty much any arts subject application, and probably won't harm a science one either as a 3rd/4th subject but I'm no expert on that.
Maybe be careful about having too wide a spread though- if you have say, one science subject because you want to keep your options open, then decide you want to study that at uni you'd probably find it hard to get a place amidst other applicants with 2/3 sciences.
Also if you are doing AQA Lit B, the AS is pretty rubbish (imho) but the A2 really interesting. Just fyi, if you were thinking of just doing AS. :smile:
xo
Reply 8
Yeah, they do go well together, I can't take history though as I didn't do it at GCSE which I'm gutted about and with media my college repeats the same course I did for GCSE so I've been told it's not wise to repeat the same course for 2 years :frown: but thank-you, your advice means a lot :smile:
I took English Literature, but none of my other subjects (German, Psychology and Computer Science) was related to it. If I had to give my opinion on what subjects I think goes well with English Literature, I would suggest History, Politics and Philosophy. These are essay based subjects which all center around creating an argument, and so by improving your essay writing and argumentative skills, you can improve in each subject. Plus, things you learn in History, Politics and Philosophy, can be included in your English essays for marks relating to the context of the time in which whatever piece of literature you're studying was written.
Reply 10

I took English Lit, History, Latin and Economics. English and Latin were pretty easy, Economics and History were average. So a pretty arts-based 2 years :smile: Economics is the only vaguely maths-y thing haha! I found this a good spread as Latin massively helped with general English grammar and vocab knowledge so my essays became better, History helped by making me more critical and Economics helped by making me more analytical :smile:

Choose whatever you enjoy :smile: if you're applying for an arts subject at Uni they usually don't demand any subject in particular.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 11

I took Language and Lit at AS, and only carried Language on to A2.
I enjoyed them both, an awful lot of essays to complete so you need to be consistent with your workload. They were interesting subjects for different reasons - however this depends on what exam board and syllabus your school have selected.
Only dropped Literature because I got a D in it (didn't complete as much wider reading as i should) whereas my other 3 AS', English Lang, Sociology and Health&Social Care, I got As in each.
I definitely recommend it. I carried on my last 3 subjects til A2 and found they fitted well together; achieved 3 As overall and got into Uni to study English further this September at Liverpool Uni :smile:
I did History, Lit, Lang and Maths then dropped Maths for A2. Suitably Englishy stuff studied for A2.
Psychology and sociology alongside English Literature. Odd combination, but I found that they complemented English in some way, i.e. Freud and Marx for critical analyses.
Reply 14
i did bio and chem with english lit
Reply 15
Original post by Really_now
I did Philosophy, Chemistry and Psychology with LangLit. Strange combination I know...

That sounds like a really good mix! :smile: How did you find Psychology and Chemistry? I'm considering those 2 myself :biggrin: and what is Philosophy about if you don't mind me asking so? :smile:
Reply 16

I did the sciences (bio, chem) history and english lit. I dropped it after AS though, a lot of people found it weird that I'd picked that combo but c'est la vie. Pick subjects which you're passionate about, subjects you love. A lot of people say that history is a good choice because of the essay writing and in a way I agree, it was through essays for history that I got the knack of writing essays for eng lit. :smile:
I did Biology, Chemistry and History with English Lit/Lang for AS, then dropped Chemistry for A2 :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by kaypc
i did bio and chem with english lit

Sounds good, how did you find both biology and chemistry? I'm considering both :biggrin:
Reply 19
Original post by TheCookieduck
I did Biology, Chemistry and History with English Lit/Lang for AS, then dropped Chemistry for A2 :smile:

That sounds like a good mix, I can't do history as I didn't take it at GCSE, how did you find biology and chemistry? I'm considering either one :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending