The Student Room Group

What would you say is when A level grades become not worth going to university with?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sugarspellitouttt
Not everyone who does well in class does well in exams. For example, one of my best friends can get near enough top marks in classwork, coursework etc but in exams would get Ds.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

But it still boils down to the three ingredients;

Lets assume your friend worked hard. Either, she (assuming it's a girl) crumbled under the exam pressure (most likely), or she didn't prepare correctly for the real thing.

Many people say "I always do better in the past-papers/practice tests/class-test", if so, pressure is their problem.

Original post by Mr Inquisitive
Agreed. Pressure is a horrible part to deal with, in my case mostly self inflicted haha ><

Yeah, I didn't deal with pressure well in my January exams, so I got suckish results. Once I learnt how to deal with it, the top percentages came rolling in.

Everyone has their own way of dealing with it; some better than others.

:smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by lizzzzie_
I agree with this totally.
I would like to know why low grades mean that you can't go or apply to uni.

Grades are an accurate reflection of your academic ability to cope with university work.

Reply 82
Grades are not the only important things. If you are doing irrelecant subjects but want to persue a carrer then I don't think it matters, your drive is elsewhere.
Only go if you want to study, want to learn and desire a job in a related field.
i definitely think nailing exam technique will also result in good grades! Knowing exactly what examiners are looking for. Along with working hard/smart, dealing with pressure etc.
Original post by goalmouth
Grades are not the only important things. If you are doing irrelecant subjects but want to persue a carrer then I don't think it matters, your drive is elsewhere.
Only go if you want to study, want to learn and desire a job in a related field.

But grades are by far the most important indicator of ability when applying. If your grades suggest you can't cope with university level work then why admit someone to it?

Reply 85
Original post by Cutmeloose

In short, the choice should remain for all, but I think those with below BCC should be actively encouraged to consider alternative paths.

That's what everyone said to me.. That I don't have to going to university there are other options. This was because of my low grades. They didn't listen to me because I wanted to go to university. It's not all about the grades!!

Original post by ihaterevising
i definitely think nailing exam technique will also result in good grades! Knowing exactly what examiners are looking for. Along with working hard/smart, dealing with pressure etc.

I class learning the exam technique as 'Working Smart'.

Again, it's okay working hard to understand the content, but if you don't work smart and understand the exam technique you will always under-perform.
Personally, I wouldn't have bothered if I got less than AAB, because that's the minimum entry standard of most of the firms I would like to work for after graduation.

I think I would've tried for a different career if I'd done poorly in my A-levels - probably one that didn't require a degree at all, or a degree in something a lot less competitive than law.

That's just me though - I'm sure there are plenty of people that could have rewarding graduate careers with grades a bit lower than that.

On the whole though, I don't think there's much point going with less than BBB, because in all seriousness it's probably going to be quite hard to get a good grade at the end of three years of university if you can't manage BBB at A-level.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by ilickbatteries
I believe that under normal circumstances, if you cannot achieve more than 240 UCAS points from your three best A-Levels then you shouldn't be going to university.

UCAS points shouldn't be given for anything other than your A-Levels, either.

Why not?

I believe anything lower than CCC from your three best subjects are not good enough for university.

But I have seen many AAA students failed first year of uni whereas ones achieved BBB or less ended up doing well. :dontknow:

You can't really tell when it will be not worth going to uni with, some people messed up their A-level and changed at uni.
(edited 11 years ago)
I'd say anything less than CCC or the equivalent number of points (i.e. AAE would be fine). Any courses that accept less aren't going to be academically demanding enough to be worthwhile as the students would all fail, and anyone going because they "love their subject" should be able to motivate themselves to get at least the equivalent to CCC.
Original post by Meat is Murder
No-one with 2 A*'s is getting a D. It just wouldn't happen.

Someone could easily get 2 A*s in Photography and Media and get a D in Chemistry or Maths
Original post by Aspiringlawstudent
Personally, I wouldn't have bothered if I got less than AAB, because that's the minimum entry standard of most of the firms I would like to work for after graduation.

I think I would've tried for a different career if I'd done poorly in my A-levels - probably one that didn't require a degree at all, or a degree in something a lot less competitive than law.

That's just me though - I'm sure there are plenty of people that could have rewarding graduate careers with grades a bit lower than that.

On the whole though, I don't think there's much point going with less than BBB, because in all seriousness it's probably going to be quite hard to get a good grade at the end of three years of university if you can't manage BBB at A-level.

Recently started watching Suits and I wanna be a lawyer :colone:
Original post by matthew769
Recently started watching Suits and I wanna be a lawyer :colone:

suits aint real law
Original post by Cutmeloose
suits aint real law

But this law sucks :colonhash:
I can understand the majority of responses on this thread. I suppose if your A-levels are your highest level of qualification you will place an enormous amount of importance on them. University is a totally different ball game to college. It requires a hell of a lot more independent study, originality and use of initiative. Also what you put in you get out. If you don't get the grades you want there is no one to blame but yourself. You cannot blame your teacher or the exam board. Another thing, you cannot resit exams and re-do coursework to improve your marks. Once you pass that's it. I would say a degree is a better measure of apptitude than A-levels.
Original post by Keelo
I think if you're not capable of getting CCC then why should you be discriminated against going to Uni, not saying you are! But if you want to go to uni then you should be able to!

I totally disagree with this.

You have missed the point of university. It is 'further education', i.e. exploring a subject and satisfying ones intellectual curiosity. Going to you should not be a right, and you should have to earn your place there. Going for enjoyment factor is simply not a valid reason for going.

This is exactly what's wrong with the system and we can thank Labour for that. Wanting to go to university isn't enough.
Reply 96
Original post by Meat is Murder
I totally disagree with this.

You have missed the point of university. It is 'further education', i.e. exploring a subject and satisfying ones intellectual curiosity. Going to you should not be a right, and you should have to earn your place there. Going for enjoyment factor is simply not a valid reason for going.

This is exactly what's wrong with the system and we can thank Labour for that. Wanting to go to university isn't enough.

University is higher education, A levels are called "further" :P
I received BBC in my results and to me that seemed an achievement which I feel shows my academic apptitude. I just can't understand universities admitting candidates who receive grades like UEC.
Gah, I feel as if a B has become a standard grade now, whereas it should be a C. Just my personal feelings on the matter.
It's the same with the A*, way too many people seem to receive them, I think an A level system such as that in Hong Kong would be much more appropriate whereby less then 1% of candidates receive an A. Rather then the 20%ish in the UK
Original post by ihateocr
University is higher education, A levels are called "further" :P
I received BBC in my results and to me that seemed an achievement which I feel shows my academic apptitude. I just can't understand universities admitting candidates who receive grades like UEC.
Gah, I feel as if a B has become a standard grade now, whereas it should be a C. Just my personal feelings on the matter.
It's the same with the A*, way too many people seem to receive them, I think an A level system such as that in Hong Kong would be much more appropriate whereby less then 1% of candidates receive an A. Rather then the 20%ish in the UK

Thank you for correcting me; I meant 'higher'. I don't think A*is awarded too often, especially in humanities subjects. The A* was brought in for subjects like Maths and Chemistry where a large number of students were getting A's. An A* in English is still very hard to attain.

BBC is still a solid set of A levels. The posters on this forum are in no way a true reflection of the student population. It seems, on here, at times, if you didn't get two A's and attend an elite institution you have failed somewhat, which anyone with a levelled head will know is not true.
Reply 98
Original post by ilickbatteries
I believe that under normal circumstances, if you cannot achieve more than 240 UCAS points from your three best A-Levels then you shouldn't be going to university.

UCAS points shouldn't be given for anything other than your A-Levels, either.

Weren't you older when you sat yours?
A level grades are an unreliable indicator of how well a student will perform at university. It's easy to get As in college, especially if you went a a good college or private school, because the "learning" is simply remembering and writing down what your teachers tell you.

Learning at university is much more intense. You have to show independent thought to get the high marks and many students, particularly those who got AAA at private school, fail at this. It's a different style of learning at university - there's no spoon feeding of information like at college/school.

I've just graduated so I have experience of this. I didn't like learning at college, it bored me so I didn't do as well as I knew I could. Despite this, still got into a top uni and then I flourished there. Loved independent learning and research. Graduated with a high 2:1 and starting a masters soon. Got so much hassle off other students who got higher A level results than me. They couldn't understand why no one was sitting for hours on end explaining slowly what they needed to know in order to pass.

So it's difficult to say what is the cut-off point. Maybe CCD? Depending on the subject? Well, how long is a piece of string?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending