The Student Room Group

Philosophy or Sociology

Hey guys :-)
Im starting my AS level in about two weeks and i have confimed my courses today i really couldnt make up my mind whether to choose philosophy or sociology, they both intrest me however i could only pick one and i picked philosophy. Could i get some descriptions and opinions regarding these AS levels ? thanks :-)))
Reply 1
Heyy
What else are you taking and what do you want to do at Uni?
Reply 2
the other two courses are history and law :-)) well, i am not 100% sure but it will either be law or journalism :-)
Reply 3
Philosophy is the best option. Universities tend to look down upon a sociology Alevel.
Reply 4
Hmmm why is it that sociology is looked down upon ? i am a little worried about philosophy since i've heard that is is an incredibly challenging subject...
Reply 5
Yeah Philosophy is tricky, but it also can be a very interesting A-Level and i sort of recommend it based entirely on that! It takes alot of work but if you put it in then its very possible to get a great grade in it. That said I know people who have done philosophy and hated it,,, yet i also know people who have done sociology and hated it! Its hard to say whether or not you'll enjoy it or not without knowing if youre interested in the things that will be covered in it or not. But i did it, it was by far my favorite subject i did, got an A in it, and because i did it at A-Level il be starting it at uni in a couple of weeks. Anyway, good luck!
Philosophy best suits your needs and will prepare you better than sociology. Furthermore lilyobz is right - sadly Sociology A Level is seen as a soft option, which is a shame considering at Undergrad/Postgrad level it is seen as one of the most challenging aside from the noble sciences.

I did Philosophy A Level, and within 6 months had decided that's what I wanted to spend the rest of my life doing :smile: I love it. It doesn't work for everyone, much like any subject, but it is accessible to anyone willing to put in the effort. Funnily enough I found it less challenging than my Drama and Theatre Studies AS...

Enjoy, should you choose to take it :smile:
Original post by Hypedupturtle
Philosophy best suits your needs and will prepare you better than sociology. Furthermore lilyobz is right - sadly Sociology A Level is seen as a soft option, which is a shame considering at Undergrad/Postgrad level it is seen as one of the most challenging aside from the noble sciences.

I did Philosophy A Level, and within 6 months had decided that's what I wanted to spend the rest of my life doing :smile: I love it. It doesn't work for everyone, much like any subject, but it is accessible to anyone willing to put in the effort. Funnily enough I found it less challenging than my Drama and Theatre Studies AS...

Enjoy, should you choose to take it :smile:

I don't understand why A-Level Sociology is seen as soft - I know it is usually just farmed out to poor students but the fact is that those poor students don't do very well, at all. I'm sure less than 13% get A/A* overall.

It's very content heavy, the last module in particular but sadly it'll be seen as easy by people who add but can't write effectively.
Reply 8
I couldnt choose between music, business studies or biology as my 4th so did music that year, dropped Music after AS took up Biology along with my 3 A2s. Did A2 Biology the year after at college and did AS Business Studies to become full time so I didnt have to pay fees. Did A2 Business Studies the year after in night class whilst first year at university. One tough decision at the start looking back I'm glad it went that way.
Original post by ilickbatteries
I don't understand why A-Level Sociology is seen as soft - I know it is usually just farmed out to poor students but the fact is that those poor students don't do very well, at all. I'm sure less than 13% get A/A* overall.

It's very content heavy, the last module in particular but sadly it'll be seen as easy by people who add but can't write effectively.

I don't agree with it either, but unfortunately that is the way the universities see it. Law, Drama and Psychology sadly share a similar fate. Intellectual elitism is one of the failings of a capitalist meritocratic culture. Don't get me wrong, I hold nothing against sociology - I intend to study it recreationally myself once I've finished my formal schooling.

Regardless, philosophy still will be the better option for the OP, especially if he/she goes down the law path he/she is considering, although the journalism would still benefit more from philosophy than sociology. Sociology would be better if he/she was considering becoming an academic historian perhaps.
Original post by Hypedupturtle
I don't agree with it either, but unfortunately that is the way the universities see it. Law, Drama and Psychology sadly share a similar fate. Intellectual elitism is one of the failings of a capitalist meritocratic culture. Don't get me wrong, I hold nothing against sociology - I intend to study it recreationally myself once I've finished my formal schooling.

Regardless, philosophy still will be the better option for the OP, especially if he/she goes down the law path he/she is considering, although the journalism would still benefit more from philosophy than sociology. Sociology would be better if he/she was considering becoming an academic historian perhaps.

Yes, I agree that Philosophy would benefit Law more than Sociology would. Certainly the deep thinking and logical nature of the subject would suit law.
Original post by ilickbatteries
Yes, I agree that Philosophy would benefit Law more than Sociology would. Certainly the deep thinking and logical nature of the subject would suit law.

Not to mention there's a giant overlap in some areas. Personhood (What qualifies someone as a person) is a big topic in law at the moment (should comatose patients be legally allowed to commit suicide being the example that springs to mind.) Also philosophy has topics on the the nature of law (Why should I be governed - AS) and both law and philosophy examine politics, ethics and morality, albeit from different angles. In many respects Law is just pragmatic philosophy, although perhaps I should duck for cover having said that... :P
Original post by Daisy0610
Hey guys :-)
Im starting my AS level in about two weeks and i have confimed my courses today i really couldnt make up my mind whether to choose philosophy or sociology, they both intrest me however i could only pick one and i picked philosophy. Could i get some descriptions and opinions regarding these AS levels ? thanks :-)))

Hi I am in the same predicament over philosophy or sociology. What did you end up picking how was it
I tried Sociology at AS, but hated it and I swapped it to Philosophy and Ethics! I found it soooo hard and really challenging! I never got above a C/D in my practise papers throughout the whole year for Philosophy and funnily enough, I got an A (98/100) for it in my exam!

Philosophy is a challenging subject, I would argue it's one of the challenging subject of A-levels. In career prospects, I say go with Philosophy and Ethics because that relates way more to law than sociology. But then again, sociology you could study things such as education, crime and deviance, prostitution, sub-cultures and etc which could relate to law dependent on what path you'd like to follow. But Philosophy's logical and reading will definitely prepare you for Law.

What about English Lit? The skills you gain from this will also prepare you for Law. I do both, even though I love English Lit, I would say I prefer Philosophy because it's so interesting and challenges me all the time, especially as I'm a Christian!
I agree that it is super challenging. Really difficult, unless you naturally think that way, with a lot of concepts to remember. Sociology on the other hand is a lot easier and also very interesting. howevere philosophu a lot more respected at unis. that said it totally depends on what you want to do and where you want to go. the snobbery about easy versus difficult a-levels only applies to the top russell group unis i think.
Don't do Sociology -I hated it this year. It should be an interesting subject (maybe this is my college's fault) but its massively dumbed down and I found it boring. Its not really a 'common sense' subject like some people claim it is BUT if you have any knowledge of society there is nothing particularly new being taught to you except for sociologist's names. Philosophy sounds far more interesting, wish I'd done that.
Original post by brendonbackflip
Don't do Sociology -I hated it this year. It should be an interesting subject (maybe this is my college's fault) but its massively dumbed down and I found it boring. Its not really a 'common sense' subject like some people claim it is BUT if you have any knowledge of society there is nothing particularly new being taught to you except for sociologist's names. Philosophy sounds far more interesting, wish I'd done that.
<br />
<br />

Original post by _splinter_
I agree that it is super challenging. Really difficult, unless you naturally think that way, with a lot of concepts to remember. Sociology on the other hand is a lot easier and also very interesting. howevere philosophu a lot more respected at unis. that said it totally depends on what you want to do and where you want to go. the snobbery about easy versus difficult a-levels only applies to the top russell group unis i think.
<br />
<br />

Original post by Cool_JordH
I tried Sociology at AS, but hated it and I swapped it to Philosophy and Ethics! I found it soooo hard and really challenging! I never got above a C/D in my practise papers throughout the whole year for Philosophy and funnily enough, I got an A (98/100) for it in my exam! <br />
<br />
Philosophy is a challenging subject, I would argue it's one of the challenging subject of A-levels. In career prospects, I say go with Philosophy and Ethics because that relates way more to law than sociology. But then again, sociology you could study things such as education, crime and deviance, prostitution, sub-cultures and etc which could relate to law dependent on what path you'd like to follow. But Philosophy's logical and reading will definitely prepare you for Law.<br />
<br />
What about English Lit? The skills you gain from this will also prepare you for Law. I do both, even though I love English Lit, I would say I prefer Philosophy because it's so interesting and challenges me all the time, especially as I'm a Christian!
<br />
<br />

Hi can you please quote me the person who created that s thread created it a year ago lol but I need advice. I want to do nursing at a Russell uni so what woupd be my better bet and I also want a good grade other options are biology physics and psychology
so what are your options? if you want to do nursing i would go with biology, chemistry and psychology a is very good option. sociology covers history of the NHS, and health inequalities so you could argue it that way. sociology is quite easy to do well in. philosophy a lot harder but perhaps more impressive, but for nursing, sociology might be more relevant.
hmm, that is an interesting debate, but it could be more straight forward if your future is connected with law and journalism and stuff like that. but i am planning on becoming a pediatrcian, and again i am completely stuck with sociology vs philosophy. i dont know which subject would be better to take as a extra subject.

Latest

Trending

Trending