The Student Room Group

St Andrews Medicine Applicants 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 580
Can someone help me please? Student finance england has the course A100 course down as 3 years, eventhough it is 6 years altogether. Is this the same for everyone else or have I done something wrong?

Much appreciated.
Has anybody else received an email about potentially being offered a place, but after three years you transfer to Barts?

So confused right now D:
Reply 582
Can someone help me please? Student finance england has the course A100 course down as 3 years, eventhough it is 6 years altogether. Is this the same for everyone else or have I done something wrong?

Much appreciated.

Or does student finance pay for the first three years, and the NHS for the last three?? If so when is it required to apply for an NHS bursary?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 583
Yes! I got one as well! It's like better than I ever dreamed of! Of course, that's only if th ey managed to strike the deal with Barts. It's like having the academic excellence of St Andrews as well as the vast opportunities of London!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lcddvd

Much appreciated.

Or does student finance pay for the first three years, and the NHS for the last three?? If so when is it required to apply for an NHS bursary?

Don't worry about SFE saying 3 or 6 years, I had this confusion when I applied and phoned them up. They literally just said put down either. If you put down three it's quite simple just to change everything when you switch to Manchester/Scotland. You have to reapply for student finance every year anyway so it makes little difference.

NHS bursary will pay for anything after 4 years (so being a six year course it is years 5 and 6). At least this is true for my year of application, I'm unsure about 2013 entry as things were open to change.

Original post by azyx1324
Yes! I got one as well! It's like better than I ever dreamed of! Of course, that's only if th ey managed to strike the deal with Barts. It's like having the academic excellence of St Andrews as well as the vast opportunities of London!

Posted from TSR Mobile

That does sound quite good actually. Haven't heard anything about it, wonder if current students can go there.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by andyroo6395
That's how I feel! I was wanting to wait until the Edinburgh post offers day, but it isn't till April and I'm worried accommodation will be gone..

Same! I'm going to make a trip of it and go visit St Andrews the next day just to see the town again! I think, though I'm not 100% sure on this, that accommodation at Edinburgh isn't done on a first come first serve basis so shouldn't matter, unless you know different?
Reply 586
Original post by Kingbradley6
Don't worry about SFE saying 3 or 6 years, I had this confusion when I applied and phoned them up. They literally just said put down either. If you put down three it's quite simple just to change everything when you switch to Manchester/Scotland. You have to reapply for student finance every year anyway so it makes little difference.

NHS bursary will pay for anything after 4 years (so being a six year course it is years 5 and 6). At least this is true for my year of application, I'm unsure about 2013 entry as things were open to change.

That does sound quite good actually. Haven't heard anything about it, wonder if current students can go there.

The only thing that I'm not so sure about is the PBL style teaching of Barts. I understand that most of the fundamental knowledge would be covered in Phase I anyway, but I wonder to what extent you are actually 'taught' instead of independent learning during Phase II?
Original post by jasqur
Hey!! I was in the same position as you last year and this year I finally have an offer! Don't be too disheartened, focus on your exams and try to prepare more work experience and volunteering placements in advance. One of my main issues last year was not having enough hospital exposure so I spent 2 months literally emailing hundreds of doctors until some were kind enough to offer me a placement in their department. If ukcat was a problem for you this year, start prep early and use as many resources you can get hold of. And...in terms of your gap year, it would be ideal to get a job as a healthcare assistant somewhere, but any job is worthwhile as long as you can show how the skills you obtain from it will be useful in medicine.

Good luck!!

Thanks for the advice, feeling more confident now! :smile:
The only thing that I'm not so sure about is the PBL style teaching of Barts. I understand that most of the fundamental knowledge would be covered in Phase I anyway, but I wonder to what extent you are actually 'taught' instead of independent learning during Phase II?

It's a point you have to consider but I think (not entirely sure) that most clinical teaching is more similar than different, especially compared to pre-clinical. You get a good foundation at St Andrews (from what I have experienced at my short time here so far) that should set you up for whatever style of teaching is used in clinical years - which should include some lectures, regardless of how PBL oriented it is. After all in 6 years you'll be on the ward as a doctor so I think it might be quite good to start off with lectures, then be eased into working on your own by getting to grips with PBL. University is in general more independently oriented.
Any current Y13 A level applicants with an offer care to share their statistics?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Exactly what I was thinking.

For me, it's thrown the cat amongst the pigeons, so to speak. I was rather content with my offer from Dundee until St Andrews sent me the email this morning :tongue:

Weighing it all up, if the deal with Barts is reached and I do get an offer for that route, I'll probably accept the offer from St Andrews because let's face it - the first-class teaching at St Andrews (particularly anatomy-wise) and then the experience of London - it isn't an offer to be sniffed at.

I'm not sure how to take the email - does it mean we'll definitely get an offer if the deal with Barts is reached? The email sounded promising but I obviously don't want to get my hopes up.
Reply 591
Original post by TattyBoJangles

For me, it's thrown the cat amongst the pigeons, so to speak. I was rather content with my offer from Dundee until St Andrews sent me the email this morning :tongue:

Weighing it all up, if the deal with Barts is reached and I do get an offer for that route, I'll probably accept the offer from St Andrews because let's face it - the first-class teaching at St Andrews (particularly anatomy-wise) and then the experience of London - it isn't an offer to be sniffed at.

I'm not sure how to take the email - does it mean we'll definitely get an offer if the deal with Barts is reached? The email sounded promising but I obviously don't want to get my hopes up.

Good luck! Hope the deal goes through.
Reply 592
Original post by TattyBoJangles

Well, and they are said 'a strong possibility', which I consider as that they want to make us an offer, but it is subjective to Barts. I hope there would be a post offer open day of some sort, so I can make a decision between SA - QMUL and Durham - Newcastle, which is much more manageable financial as well as coherent of content wise, even though might not be as hard core as this :-).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 593
hey guys i know you lot might be biased on this particular page. However, I have unconditionals from both StAndrews and Aberdeen and I am struggling to choose. I think Standrews is academically brilliant and I love the anatomy aspect of it, however i think the course is slightly odd but then its a fantastic university. I love Aberdeen but its further away from home. Please help me decide ahaha, I need good reasoning behind this huge decision.
Reply 594
If you take St. Andrews and are on Scottish route, then you could end up at Aberdeen for clinical years. Best of both worlds!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 595
To the current students, how did you prepare for St.-Andrews? What did you do in the days weeks and months after firming your offer?

Thanks!
Original post by lcddvd
To the current students, how did you prepare for St.-Andrews? What did you do in the days weeks and months after firming your offer?

Thanks!

Such as, will we need a stethoscope?

Got an unconditional today. :biggrin:
Unconditional!!!:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 599
Original post by Shengis14
Such as, will we need a stethoscope?

Tuition fees should cover this I hope.

Quick Reply