The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by StephX12321
wondering if anyone has anything good/bad to say about charles morris, devonshire hall, lyddon hall or henry price? also if anyone has any opinions on catered or self catered? :smile:

I've got two friends in Charles Morris - one in Storm Jameson and one in Dobree and the Storm Jameson one looks really good... like a hotel standard! Only thing is that it's really really expensive. One of the reasons I chose self-catered instead is that the times at which a person in a catered residence can eat seemed rather inconvenient for me... they get given a card to buy food and it can only be used between 8am and 11.30am and 2pm and 7pm on weekdays (used to be earlier, I'm sure it was 6.30 when I looked last). I don't know about you, but I generally eat breakfast before that time if I have a 9am lecture, and in the evenings I eat after 7 as I don't even get back until then on some days. But it's up to you really - Charles Morris was too expensive for me anyway. And being in Liberty Dock means I have to get up earlier than someone living in Charles Morris would have to!

Henry Price has bathrooms shared between two rooms, I think... that takes some getting used to!
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
wondering if anyone has anything good/bad to say about charles morris, devonshire hall, lyddon hall or henry price? also if anyone has any opinions on catered or self catered? :smile:

Dev tends to attract a lot of rahs so if that isn't your scene I'd steer clear of it.
Reply 82
Thinking either Central Village or Devonshire Hall. Is the proximity to the uni and town worth the extra money?

I can only say good things about Charles Morris. Catered so you have more time to do what you want. If you're in Storm Jameson, you're basically living in a hotel and it's sweeeeeeeeeet. Table tennis table, pool table and projector in the common room, 24hr reception etc. etc.

For more info refer to the wiki: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/University_of_Leeds_Accommodation
Reply 84
What do people think about Henry Price, JBP and Devonshire Hall? I want somewhere that's always got something going on, really lively people? I realise it's going to be a generalisation but...
Reply 85
I'm torn between Devonshire and Charles Morris! Does anyone know which one has the best social scene?
Original post by fizzwizz
I'm torn between Devonshire and Charles Morris! Does anyone know which one has the best social scene?

I'd say Charles Morris because you've got an entire floor of people with no boundaries so you bump into so many people. Plus it's right on campus so there's people to meet everywhere.
Hi! I'm wondering how is the Central Village storage space in terms of placing luggages/ boxes? Thank you!
Reply 88
I am really stuck on where I'd like to live? I need help to know where's the best for en suite with a better social life to meet lots of different people and the room to be nice. Stuck between:

Tannery
Liberty dock
Leodis
James baillie
Henery price
Devonshire
Central village
Charles Morris

Helllllpppp!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 89
Original post by ginariasa
I am really stuck on where I'd like to live? I need help to know where's the best for en suite with a better social life to meet lots of different people and the room to be nice. Stuck between:

Tannery
Liberty dock
Leodis
James baillie
Henery price
Devonshire
Central village
Charles Morris

Helllllpppp!

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you can, come along on Saturday 27 April 2013 for the accommodation viewing day - you'll be able to visit all the residences and see for yourself which you like the look of the most.

I'm in Liberty Dock now, the en-suites are being refurbished (also on the UoL accommodation website the price has gone up £11 per week from this year, hmm...). Storm Jameson looks amazing but it's a bit more expensive. An en-suite's an en-suite really!

Can't really comment on the social life for each residence as I'm only in one place.
Reply 90
Original post by iMe
If you can, come along on Saturday 27 April 2013 for the accommodation viewing day - you'll be able to visit all the residences and see for yourself which you like the look of the most.

I'm in Liberty Dock now, the en-suites are being refurbished (also on the UoL accommodation website the price has gone up £11 per week from this year, hmm...). Storm Jameson looks amazing but it's a bit more expensive. An en-suite's an en-suite really!

Can't really comment on the social life for each residence as I'm only in one place.

It's more the social side of things, ill have to see if I can get down. I'm down on the 30th

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 91
When should we apply for accommodation?
Reply 92
Original post by ginariasa
It's more the social side of things, ill have to see if I can get down. I'm down on the 30th

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wherever you end up, I'm sure you'll find something to your liking. Many people say the social side of things depends on who you get put with rather than the actual residence you live in, and it varies year-on-year. But it's what you make of it - if you want to have a great social life, make it happen! There are enough people in each residence for you to find some people with a similar aim :smile: I really wouldn't worry about it too much. Also a note about common rooms which accomoffice has said - lots of people want a common room but then don't actually end up using it that much! The Tannery has one if that's what you're looking for. So do a couple of the others. Liberty Dock has a bar. But I think you'll be fine wherever you go :smile:

Original post by LukeyJB
When should we apply for accommodation?

Before 1st July.
Reply 93
Original post by iMe
Wherever you end up, I'm sure you'll find something to your liking. Many people say the social side of things depends on who you get put with rather than the actual residence you live in, and it varies year-on-year. But it's what you make of it - if you want to have a great social life, make it happen! There are enough people in each residence for you to find some people with a similar aim :smile: I really wouldn't worry about it too much. Also a note about common rooms which accomoffice has said - lots of people want a common room but then don't actually end up using it that much! The Tannery has one if that's what you're looking for. So do a couple of the others. Liberty Dock has a bar. But I think you'll be fine wherever you go :smile:

Before 1st July.

Is it first come first served?
Reply 94
Original post by LukeyJB

I don't think so. Provided you apply by the deadline, you have as good a chance as everyone else.
Reply 95
Original post by LukeyJB

Nope it isn't!

If you have accepted an offer to come to the University of Leeds, then you can apply for accommodation by clicking on the button below. Please note that accommodation is not allocated on a first-come-first-served basis.

I'm looking to apply after I set Leeds as my firm choice, which will be soon. I'm probably going to go for Central Village though, because I've done a bit of research, and I'm sure I get a £3,000 discount on accommodation.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 96
Does anyone know how many people share a bathroom in the north hill court residence?
Original post by x-KitKat-x
Does anyone know how many people share a bathroom in the north hill court residence?

Most (17) of the flats are for 4, but there are 2 for 6 so you'd either be sharing with 3 others or with 5 others.
At the moment I'm stuck between Central Village and Devonshire.

As an Oxbridge reject I'm sort of clinging on to the idea of traditional halls, which Devonshire offers, but I have heard that a lot of people in Dev are "rahs". Is this true? It looks lovely but that reputation is putting me off a bit.

Central Village looks positively gorgeous, but the high rent is a bit worrying. Also, is it true that it's not very social?
Reply 99
A girl I'm friends with on facebook is in her first year studying History of Art at Leeds. In September she uploaded a photo of her room which had two stories with a little staircase. I was wondering if anyone knows which accommodation that is?!

Latest