The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

The Ask a Current University of Southampton Student Thread!

Scroll to see replies

Hi I was wondering if anyone could tell me about the history course at Southampton?
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Original post by frightfulblob
Hi I was wondering if anyone could tell me about the history course at Southampton?

What do you want to know about? I don't know any current TSR members who take history but if you've got questions someone might be able to ask a friend :smile:
Original post by PQ
What do you want to know about? I don't know any current TSR members who take history but if you've got questions someone might be able to ask a friend :smile:

Just whether they're enjoying it? if they get support with careers/interns/work:smile: what the work load's like? and whether anyone took a year out before going there. If you could help that would be brilliant!
Reply 183
I don't know if this depends on the course, but any there any lectures after Easter, i.e. the exam/revision period? What about after exams? Are there any reading weeks?
Original post by sheeesh
I don't know if this depends on the course, but any there any lectures after Easter, i.e. the exam/revision period? What about after exams? Are there any reading weeks?

Put simply yes, occasionally, and no. The term is split into:

Upto Christmas holidays: Lectures
During Christmas holidays: Revise like crazy for your exams
First week back: Revision lectures (some useful, some not)
Second and third week back: Exams
Forth week back: Start of Lectures
Easter holidays: Revise for exams and do coursework
Weeks after Easter: More lectures
4th week after Easter: Revision lectures
5th and 6th week after Easter: Exams

After that piss around all summer/work all summer.

Repeat for your working uni life.

That's for engineering anyway.
Reply 185
hey, my name is Leo, I'm 24 years old and I come from Switzerland. I'm about to apply for the Msc Systems & signal processing. I'm a little worried about the accommodation at Southampton because rooms are not guaranted for postgraduate courses. Has anyone an idea about the chance to get and accomodation in halls?

thanks
Original post by LeonardoC
hey, my name is Leo, I'm 24 years old and I come from Switzerland. I'm about to apply for the Msc Systems & signal processing. I'm a little worried about the accommodation at Southampton because rooms are not guaranted for postgraduate courses. Has anyone an idea about the chance to get and accomodation in halls?

thanks

Not sure on the chances but there are LOTS of options in Southampton which is hugely student oriented. If you dont' secure a place in halls there are university checked landlords who operate in the area or the uni can put you in private halls-type accommodation. While you might not be assured halls, there is never a shortage of housing here :nah:
Reply 187
Hi my name is Muz,
I'm looking at a few different uni's at the moment and trying to get a feel for them all. If/when I live in rented accommodation, where do most people live in Southampton? I mean like what are the most popular areas or streets where most of the current students live?
Thanks in advance for your help.
Reply 188
Hey Leo
I was in the LLM, Maritime Law postgraduate course last year, and based on experience, since its your first (and only) year, as far as I know, you are guaranteed a room. I got one even though I had applied AFTER the guarantee period, and every other student I knew in a postgrad programme and who has applied for a room in the halls had got one. :smile:
I don't think you have anything to worry about, but its also worth looking at other types of accommodation, in case you find better options :wink:
-----------
Hi Muz,
Honestly, even though I have lived in the halls, locationswise Portswood Road and its surrounding area seems to be ideal, both close to the university and most of the student bars, and not so far away from the city centre either :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 189
Original post by Joli
Hey all!

Some of the other university boards have this, so thought it might be worth doing something like this for the University of Southampton.

I'm a current student, as are quite a few of the others who have been posting here, but thought it might be useful to have a single thread with just questions and answers in to make it a bit easier to ask and get a definite and quick reply, and to see other answers. I've had a few questions sent individually, and again, it's probably best if everyone can see the questions and answers more easily :smile:

So if you're thinking of coming here (or about to start here), ask away! Whether it's about halls, courses, facilities, Southampton life, nightlife, things to do, meeting people, the atmosphere or just what it's like to be here - ask away!

If you're a current student, feel free to help! :smile:

If you do post in here, I'll do my best to reply within the day!

How's the International reputation at Southampton, Are international students isolated or is it generally friendly across the board?
Original post by McRite
How's the International reputation at Southampton, Are international students isolated or is it generally friendly across the board?

Everyone gets on fine with everyone. You'll find like minded people as you at uni and it doesn't matter where you come from, everyone wants to get to know everyone. I'm a home student and last year, five of my housemates were international from all different parts of the world. This year, I'm living with three international students. We get along perfectly.
Reply 191
Original post by Like_A_G6
Everyone gets on fine with everyone. You'll find like minded people as you at uni and it doesn't matter where you come from, everyone wants to get to know everyone. I'm a home student and last year, five of my housemates were international from all different parts of the world. This year, I'm living with three international students. We get along perfectly.

Thanks for reply :biggrin:
Reply 192
Thanks for replies, if is it true it would be good :wink:
Reply 193
Southampton is not my priority as I would prefer to study in TU Delft but yesterday I received a conditional offer for aerospace engineering (BEng) . Can any student of this course tell me how is it? Are the lecturers passionate or just plain dull? Is the university reputation good?
Original post by JJakub
Southampton is not my priority as I would prefer to study in TU Delft but yesterday I received a conditional offer for aerospace engineering (BEng) . Can any student of this course tell me how is it? Are the lecturers passionate or just plain dull? Is the university reputation good?

Reputation for research is one of the best in the country:

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/news/news-articles/0513/130509-science-and-engineering-south-consortium

For undergraduate studies, it's not the best socially (in terms of going out day or night, Southampton is not that great compared to other places like Bristol and London), and possibly academically either. By this I mean it's academically challenging, but contact hours are low. I'm in third year and I have 8 hours of lectures a week next semester. 2 of which are management (compulsory module for the degree to be accredited apparently).

The lecturers vary as they do in every university. Some are good, some not so good. In first year you tend to get more bad ones as anyone can teach you the basics, so it's whoever has time on their hands. By the time you get to third year, you only get taught by senior lecturers who love their subject.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by JJakub

http://unistats.direct.gov.uk/subjects/satisfaction/10007158FT-198/ReturnTo/Compare-Courses says 90% say staff are enthusiastic about what they teach (which is pretty high especially for aero eng)
Original post by JJakub

I am studying right now at TU Delft and I am considering going to Southampton. It is enormously difficult to study here. Faculty & campus are awesome but AE in here is very very difficult (but good!). First year drop-out rates are very high (50-65%) due to the fact that you have to obtain at least 75% ECTS of the first year program.I am on the line of getting kicked out and I failed only 2 exams. It's perfect place but the level of education is extremely high.
Hi,
I'm applying for BSc Zoology, have had my offer and I'm definitely going to put Southampton as my first choice.
I'm thinking about accommodation at the moment and I am drawn to the Glen Eyre complex and the Wessex Lane complex...I will probably go for a standard room.
I was hoping that some current students could argue the case for each of the complexes...why should I apply for those halls?
Should I go self-catered or part-catered?
I love green open spaces and I think that I would enjoy the larger number of neighbors that comes with corridors.
Please give me some advice!
Reply 198
Do you think it's worth paying extra for an en suite? :smile:
Reply 199
Did anyone here attend the BSc Accounting and Finance programme?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending