The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

The Ask a Current University of Southampton Student Thread!

Scroll to see replies

I applied. Didn't get offers yet

Posted from TSR Mobile
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Original post by Ariel fan
I applied. Didn't get offers yet

Posted from TSR Mobile

You won't get any accommodation offers until results day.

Posted from TSR Mobile
When is the result day ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 444
Reading about accommodation, I've kind of got this perception that it'll be better to choose Wessex Lane over Glen Eyre, just want to see if my reasoning is true. I've got an offer for medicine, where over 50% of first year lectures are at Southampton General, and whether I'm at Glen or Wessex I'll have to take the bus there.

Now a common theme I've heard has been that buses from Glen are usually full by the time they get there, so a lot of people take the short walk to campus but obviously the walk is longer to the hospital so the bus is the only option if I have a lecture there. As opposed to Wessex which is further out so buses are never full and so I can be sure I can get to lectures on time! So far that's been my main reasoning for leaning to Wessex, is it kind of true?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 445
Original post by ja1
Reading about accommodation, I've kind of got this perception that it'll be better to choose Wessex Lane over Glen Eyre, just want to see if my reasoning is true. I've got an offer for medicine, where over 50% of first year lectures are at Southampton General, and whether I'm at Glen or Wessex I'll have to take the bus there.

Now a common theme I've heard has been that buses from Glen are usually full by the time they get there, so a lot of people take the short walk to campus but obviously the walk is longer to the hospital so the bus is the only option if I have a lecture there. As opposed to Wessex which is further out so buses are never full and so I can be sure I can get to lectures on time! So far that's been my main reasoning for leaning to Wessex, is it kind of true?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It is true that the buses from campus to hospital are sometimes full, and usually very busy- especially in the first couple of weeks when everyone has a lecture at the same time and everyone gets the bus. (I suggest you get the earlier bus)

If you are someone who wants to get the bus all the time, then yes, wessex lane is probably better.

However, the distance from glen to the hospital is easily walkable (a significant minority of people walk or cycle), and actually in the morning it doesn't make a huge time difference- it takes a little over 40 minutes to walk whereas to get the bus it's a 10 minute walk to campus, and 25 minute bus (morning traffic is BAD)

I wish they had more frequent buses to the hospital at peak times, but I don't think it would be possible to implement :frown:

Glen and wessex are both fine for medics but I wouldn't recommend mayflower
Reply 446
Original post by Storme
It is true that the buses from campus to hospital are sometimes full, and usually very busy- especially in the first couple of weeks when everyone has a lecture at the same time and everyone gets the bus. (I suggest you get the earlier bus)

If you are someone who wants to get the bus all the time, then yes, wessex lane is probably better.

However, the distance from glen to the hospital is easily walkable (a significant minority of people walk or cycle), and actually in the morning it doesn't make a huge time difference- it takes a little over 40 minutes to walk whereas to get the bus it's a 10 minute walk to campus, and 25 minute bus (morning traffic is BAD)

I wish they had more frequent buses to the hospital at peak times, but I don't think it would be possible to implement :frown:

Glen and wessex are both fine for medics but I wouldn't recommend mayflower

Ah, thanks 😃

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 447
Hi guys, which university is better? Surrey or Southampton? I got offers from both but can't decide which one to choose. I love both their courses (Bsc in Criminology and Sociology), I'm just wondering which is better suited to going to a more prestige uni in the future such as LSE? I'm worried that if I choose Surrey (35 IB points) I won't get in, and then I'll lose out on going to Southampton (32 IB points) as Nottingham is already my insurance and I was predicted a 33.

Posted from The Student's Room iPhone/iPad App
Original post by N Kay
Hi guys, which university is better? Surrey or Southampton? I got offers from both but can't decide which one to choose. I love both their courses (Bsc in Criminology and Sociology), I'm just wondering which is better suited to going to a more prestige uni in the future such as LSE? I'm worried that if I choose Surrey (35 IB points) I won't get in, and then I'll lose out on going to Southampton (32 IB points) as Nottingham is already my insurance and I was predicted a 33.

Posted from The Student's Room iPhone/iPad App

I was in a similar position as you. It took me around 2 months to make my decision and I eventually firmed Southampton and put Surrey as insurance for Aerospace engineering. If you want to go to LSE after, I don't think it matters what you uni you graduated from as long as you do well. For example a first from Southampton > Upper Second from Surrey. Surrey is a good uni and Southampton is a good respected Russell-Group uni. In my opinion, I think you should go with Southampton because you want to go a more prestigious place after anyways so there is no point risking it with Surrey. Surrey and Southampton are equally as good so it is not worth taking the risk of missing your offer at Surrey. I don't think you will go wrong with either unis tbh, they're both great.
Reply 449
Hi, I have put Southampton as my firm choice and now looking into which accommodation to choose. I will be studying geography so want to be able to get there pretty easily. I am currently favouring Glen Eyre and considering Wessex but it doesn't look as nice to me... Is this the general perception and should i be considering other places like highfield halls too?
Original post by danidas
Hi, I have put Southampton as my firm choice and now looking into which accommodation to choose. I will be studying geography so want to be able to get there pretty easily. I am currently favouring Glen Eyre and considering Wessex but it doesn't look as nice to me... Is this the general perception and should i be considering other places like highfield halls too?

Geography I think is taught on Highfield (mostly). Glen is generally better and closer than Wessex but also more expensive and offers no catering. I have no observations of Highfield but they do have catering as well. You should define your priorities and your budget well and then search all halls, yes.
Does anybody know how many people share a shower and toilet in wessex lane and glen eyre if they are in the non-ensuite rooms? Also how sanitary are the showers and toilets and how often do cleaners come to clean them?
(edited 8 years ago)
I'm just finishing my 12th grade in India. I've received conditional offers from Bath,Southampton,Loughborough,Sheffield and Manchester. The field I've chosen is Aerospace Engineering with a year/Semester in Industry. The conditions are achiveable in all the unis except manchester. Which one should I choose from amongst the rest??
Pls advice ASAP
Original post by shreevi23
I'm just finishing my 12th grade in India. I've received conditional offers from Bath,Southampton,Loughborough,Sheffield and Manchester. The field I've chosen is Aerospace Engineering with a year/Semester in Industry. The conditions are achiveable in all the unis except manchester. Which one should I choose from amongst the rest??
Pls advice ASAP

You realise you're asking Southampton students, right? Of course I will tell you Southampton, because the place is bloody amazing.
Original post by HawkEyeArcher
You realise you're asking Southampton students, right? Of course I will tell you Southampton, because the place is bloody amazing.

My only worry is that, the course at Soton is too dedicated to Space related research. Does being a part of the Russell group make a big difference?
My only worry is that, the course at Soton is too dedicated to Space related research. Does being a part of the Russell group make a big difference?

It's always better to study in a Russell group university. I don't know anything about the course however as I do electromechanical, which is another faculty.
Original post by HawkEyeArcher
It's always better to study in a Russell group university. I don't know anything about the course however as I do electromechanical, which is another faculty.

Hmmm, ok. I will keep that in mind. A completely different topic, I know it's a long shot but does the Saints F.C Academy hold trials at the university?
Hmmm, ok. I will keep that in mind. A completely different topic, I know it's a long shot but does the Saints F.C Academy hold trials at the university?

No. The university football club does, however, at the start of each year.
Reply 458
Original post by JusstJen
Does anybody know how many people share a shower and toilet in wessex lane and glen eyre if they are in the non-ensuite rooms? Also how sanitary are the showers and toilets and how often do cleaners come to clean them?

My flat (in glen) has 6 people and 2 bathrooms. Each bathroom has a shower and a toilet.
I think some flats are a bit bigger (like 8 people?) but 2 bathrooms between 8 is still ok, I've never had to wait for a shower or anything, because we all have different schedules.

Cleaner comes 4 times a week to my flat- mon,tues,thurs,fri. By sunday evening the kitchen is a bit grotty, but I do live with messy people. Never had a problem with bathrooms.
Original post by JusstJen

Montefiore House is 7-8 people sharing two toilets and a shower.
Connaught Halls varies significantly from about 5 sharing one toilet and one shower to 20+ people in one block sharing 3 toilets & 3 showers.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending