The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

The Ask a Current University of Southampton Student Thread!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MissRL
Hey Guys, I'm a Uni of Southampton student please feel free to ask me ANY questions xx

Hey! I just got into Southampton through clearing and I'm making my accommodation application. Quick question, I don't know which campus I'm meant to put. Is Winchester the campus where only Art courses are taught? I'm doing economics and politics, so should I put Southampton or Winchester??
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
When and what is freshers week?
For the people asking about the fresher pass, freshers events run for 6 weeks at Soton, so the pass gets you into 95% of events all run by SUSU. I bought it last year, so much cheaper than buying tickets for the individual events but if you don't like to go out much then either buy the cheaper one or buy them individually :smile:

Btw, you get your timetables about a week before you move in, but it always changes slightly before you start
Hi everyone,

I've posted this on its own thread but I'm posting here to hopefully get a response.

I initially applied for Maths with Computer Science, but didn't meet one of the grade requirements, so the uni has offered me a place in an Economics course of my choice.

The problem I'm having is that I've never done any Economics before, so I don't really know whether I would enjoy it, and I don't want to accept a three year course that I end up hating.

Can anyone who is doing Economics currently give me some insight to the course? How much of the course is mathematical, as opposed to essay writing? Are you enjoying it so far?

I really enjoy Maths, so the lady I spoke to suggested I do Economics with Actuarial Science, but again, I'm not sure how much of the course will end up being maths that I'd enjoy. Is there any place where I can find examples of the work that you do on the course?

Thanks,
Matt
Reply 584
@JellyCat99 You'll be at Southampton , Winchester is just for art courses as you assumed :biggrin::biggrin:

If you're looking for really nice accommodation I recommend Mayflower, I stayed there in my first year
Hello everyone, I have got a place at the University of Southampton and have accepted Highfield Hall's catered Wolfe House accommodation with an en suite.

I have a few questions for anyone who's lived in the Catered section of Wolfe House, Highfield Hall.

-What size are the bedrooms there, and what do these bedrooms consist of?
-Is there a kitchen in the catered section, even a small one?
-Will I need to bring kitchen equipment such as pots and pans?

Please let me know.

Thanks in advance.
Original post by MattTurner837
Hi everyone,

I've posted this on its own thread but I'm posting here to hopefully get a response.

I initially applied for Maths with Computer Science, but didn't meet one of the grade requirements, so the uni has offered me a place in an Economics course of my choice.

The problem I'm having is that I've never done any Economics before, so I don't really know whether I would enjoy it, and I don't want to accept a three year course that I end up hating.

Can anyone who is doing Economics currently give me some insight to the course? How much of the course is mathematical, as opposed to essay writing? Are you enjoying it so far?

I really enjoy Maths, so the lady I spoke to suggested I do Economics with Actuarial Science, but again, I'm not sure how much of the course will end up being maths that I'd enjoy. Is there any place where I can find examples of the work that you do on the course?

Thanks,
Matt

Hey Matt!

I'm currently doing maths, however I know for sure that Actuarial is maths heavy as I have an interest in it.

In regards to your query, I suggest to join the Economics freshers group https://www.facebook.com/groups/soton.econ2018/ and ask some of the students that study the subject! Hope it helps and good luck!
Hi,
Just applied for my ID card and saw there is a sports and wellbeing extra. As it is £155 I was reluctant to buy it until I knew what it includes
I want to possibly enter some sports teams, does this mean I have to buy it?
Any information on it would be great

Henry
Original post by HenryGroves
Hi,
Just applied for my ID card and saw there is a sports and wellbeing extra. As it is £155 I was reluctant to buy it until I knew what it includes
I want to possibly enter some sports teams, does this mean I have to buy it?
Any information on it would be great

Henry

Yeah you need it to join the sports teams and clubs. It is quite cheap when you consider that it covers the entire academic year and gym facilities etc.
Original post by ja1
Should we actually start buying tickets for freshers events now online? I'm on the Southampton Freshers Facebook thing and it seems like loads are already going to the fckme event, when I first saw it I thought it was some shady third party freshers event that'd be crap

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you want a masterpass buy it ASAP because it sells out really quickly. From my experience, do NOT bother with the events not organised by the University itself. I knew heaps of people last year who bought tickets for a Zoo party and Icebreaker events and did not even end up going because none of their flatmates were. The masterpass will cover more nights out than you will even feel like attending.

Original post by aimee2127
Do you get any tickets free with your welcome pack? I don't want to have bought some I then don't need! (Plus £80 is steep considering the amount you spend on drinks and stuff as well)

I don't think that you get any free tickets - I didn't last year anyway.

Original post by charliedb97
HI there! I got accepted yesterday and now going through the process of looking at freshers week, i saw there is a master pass and was wondering whether this is something i should buy? or whether i should just get to the uni and see how things go? any advice would be great!

I bought the Outgoing masterpass last year and it depends on how much you think you'll be going out. Everyone tends to go to the Outgoing events - the Cube on the first night, the 'Bloc party', Freshers' ball etc - the toga night at Jesters will be the best night of your life. It is expensive but it is pretty disheartening not being able to go out on the sold-out nights that your flatmates/friends will be attending. The masterpass will definitely be sold out by the time you get to uni though, so make sure that you decide soon!

Original post by DoctorDren
What is the best place for student cards? I hear Southampton University is not involved in NUS?

Southampton is not affiliated with the NUS but you can still sign up to UniDays and use all of their discounts.

Original post by darrantdpsexton
When you start, do you get a voucher for the book shop or anything?

I'm transferring from Winchester and currently have to pay around £50 per book.

Posted from TSR Mobile

There used to be a £300 student entitlement bursary thing that you could spend at the bookshop but they got rid of it for last year's freshers. Your best bet would be to buy the books, not make any notes in them and try to sell them on amazon/ebay or to next year's freshers!
Hi i made an account to just ask when do we actually have to arrive in southampton because im goin holiday from august and my family wants to come back a week before uni starts
Hello everyone, I have got a place at the University of Southampton and have accepted Highfield Hall's catered Wolfe House accommodation with an en suite.

I have a few questions for anyone who's lived in the Catered section of Wolfe House, Highfield Hall.

Please let me know.

Thanks in advance.
Reply 592
Original post by I-EKILER
Hi i made an account to just ask when do we actually have to arrive in southampton because im goin holiday from august and my family wants to come back a week before uni starts

19th/20th September is moving in weekend

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone off to queen mary??
Original post by Hammy_23
Anyone off to queen mary??

This thread is in the University of Southampton forum.

To find QM students look in the Queen Mary forum.
Anyone know if there's an archers/gateley thread? Had no luck finding one

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Minecraft27

Please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

I toured highfield a couple months back, can't remember the bedroom too well but it did have a kitchen. The kitchen was essentially the size of a bedroom if not smaller because obviously you're not cooking too often but it had all the usual stuff like fridges and an oven etc. My guess is you won't have a lot of space for pots and pans but you will need some? I'd prioritise and take as few as possible. If you have fb there should be something (a group) for highfield set up by the students who run the welcoming and they'll probably be more helpful/possibly have pictures.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by rach_lizzie
Got the grades to come to Southampton!! So so sooo happy! Doing an MLang in German and Spanish Linguistic Studies, so exciteeedddd!!! xx

Hey Congratulations! I've got a place to study Spanish & Latin American Studies - very excited to be going to Southampton!!!!!!
Original post by PQ
This thread is in the University of Southampton forum.

To find QM students look in the Queen Mary forum.

whooopss my bad .. sorry!! haha
Have ordered my ID pass but want to add sports and wellbeing onto it, how do I go about doing this?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending