The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

The Ask a Current University of Southampton Student Thread!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Joli
Hey all!

Some of the other university boards have this, so thought it might be worth doing something like this for the University of Southampton.

I'm a current student, as are quite a few of the others who have been posting here, but thought it might be useful to have a single thread with just questions and answers in to make it a bit easier to ask and get a definite and quick reply, and to see other answers. I've had a few questions sent individually, and again, it's probably best if everyone can see the questions and answers more easily :smile:

So if you're thinking of coming here (or about to start here), ask away! Whether it's about halls, courses, facilities, Southampton life, nightlife, things to do, meeting people, the atmosphere or just what it's like to be here - ask away!

If you're a current student, feel free to help! :smile:

If you do post in here, I'll do my best to reply within the day!

Hey I am thinking about putting southampton as my firm. How would u describe the city? Some that have been say there isn't much to do and the city is quite industrial I am not familiar with southampton but is this true? Its the best one out of all my unis for my course. Also do some of the local students leave and go home at weekends? I would be coming from Belfast so would oky be able to go home on occasion.

Alsoo, what is the summer length for nursing students? I want to apply for camp america for summer 2014 and need like 9 weeks, but at my selection day they said be warned the summer won't be long....
how long is it?
(edited 11 years ago)
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Reply 81
Original post by paige :)
Hiiii :smile:

whats the city of southampton like? i never got to visit when i came to the uni :smile:
and also, do people go down by the sea or to any near by beaches at all? it sounds nice to be on the coast :smile:

When I visited the university I had a look around the city for a couple of hours... The shopping center is great! Especially for clothes shopping, and there is also an Ikea. From what I saw there seem to be a little bit of history to it as well, like old castle walls. As far as I know there isn't actually a beach, but loads of docks and boat yards.
Reply 82
I'll be studying BA Film come September (fingers crossed) so can anyone tell me what the cinemas in Southampton are like please? I hear there's quite a few.
Original post by BMLR
I'll be studying BA Film come September (fingers crossed) so can anyone tell me what the cinemas in Southampton are like please? I hear there's quite a few.

We have the Odeon (IMAX), cineword, Vue in Eatleigh, Picturehouse cinema which is a small and gorgeous place. Then the uni has it's own with crazy good prices and all night showings of series e.g. indiana jones/bond/harry potter etc.

In addition there are open air screenings on campus where you bring a pillow and a flask and watch movies under the stars!
As well as the cinema in the SU (which show the usual commercial films) there's also the Pheonix: http://www.thephoenix.org.uk/

(erk - their website has moved to http://www.unionfilms.org/phoenix/ )
Reply 85
Thank you! They all look great, a proper variety of films being shown too which is awesome. :biggrin:
Reply 86
Can anyone tell me what the Aeronautics & Astronautics courses here are like please? :smile:
Reply 87
can anyone tell me what the drug/alcohol scene is like? I drink and love to go out with my friends but am definitely not into drugs of any kind...

Also, has anyone applied for the Small Halls? It says they're great for community as they're much smaller than the others.... what are they like? good/bad points?

I'm going for Film FYI!
Reply 88
Hello!

I have got a conditional offer from southampton for msc microelectronics system design! Is there anyone who has finished this course or currently pursuing it? Am from india and i want u ppl to help me out!! Hwz the course and the job prospectus in uk fr my course? I see the rankings are good. But i would like to get some feedback frm students itself The offer says i need to attend 21 hrs every week. Will i have time for doing part time job?!
Reply 89
Original post by karuna
Hello!

I have got a conditional offer from southampton for msc microelectronics system design! Is there anyone who has finished this course or currently pursuing it? Am from india and i want u ppl to help me out!! Hwz the course and the job prospectus in uk fr my course? I see the rankings are good. But i would like to get some feedback frm students itself The offer says i need to attend 21 hrs every week. Will i have time for doing part time job?!

hi there...
im doing my bachelors here so not too sure on what your course prospects are but can help with generic stuff...
i believe ur course falls under the ECS dept...which says it all on job prospects :tongue:
Reply 90
Anyone here travel daily from the Isle of Wight to Uni ?

is it hard work ?

how are the timings for leaving home and getting home etc ?

is it a long day which makes social life hard ?

do you regret choosing to travel daily rather than in accodomodation etc

how is in winter when the ferries get cancelled, missing lectures etc ?
Hello,

I got unconditional offer for MSc Sound and vibration...any present student of ISVR here ???
Hi, I'm wondering if there's space on campus and at the halls (applied for Glen eyres and Wessex Lane) for motorcycles? I want to bring my scooter, so it'll be great if there's somewhere to park it especially at the halls. Also how safe is the place in general? Ofcourse I'll be locking my scooter with a chain but that doesn't stop dicks who want to knock your bike over etc.

Thanks,
Anthony
According to http://www.calendar.soton.ac.uk/sectionIV/vehicles-bicycles.html
"5. Rules for Motor Cycles
"Two-wheeled vehicles do not require parking permits but must be parked only in parking areas designated for such vehicles."

However I can't find details on the maps about where there is motorbike parking spaces - there's definitely space at highfield but I don't know about the halls (the maps only mention covered cycle parking: http://www.southampton.ac.uk/accommodation/halls/maps/gleneyremap.html and http://www.southampton.ac.uk/accommodation/halls/maps/wessexlanemap.html ). http://www.southampton.ac.uk/estates/services/carparking/ I'd suggest emailing [email protected] and asking them
Reply 94
Hi guys, is anybody going to either of the Open Days on 5 or 6 July?

I've been a student here at Southampton for around 8 years now(!) and I was thinking about offering city tours in conjunction with Open Days, but only if there's interest!

Any potential takers?

Cheers,
Dayah
Reply 95
Original post by geebee93
can anyone tell me what the drug/alcohol scene is like? I drink and love to go out with my friends but am definitely not into drugs of any kind...

Also, has anyone applied for the Small Halls? It says they're great for community as they're much smaller than the others.... what are they like? good/bad points?

I'm going for Film FYI!

I don't drink nor take drugs, so not sure if I'm the best person to answer this....

But AFAIK, there isn't that much of a problem with drugs amongst students.. there's lots of awareness abt drink spiking - they sell rubber bottle caps which you could put to cover your beer bottles at the students union shop!

There was a recent crackdown on a house which apparently was used in a drug ring..

I would say the biggest problem would be getting too pissed - Southampton's notorious for dirt cheap student drinks, and the main problem then becomes about people drinking too much!

As for Small Halls, that's right, they're a lot smaller than others, but I can't say for sure if their sense of community's better - I haven't stayed in Small Halls before! What I do know is that most of the Small Halls blocks, particularly Archers Road, is closer to town than the rest of the other options - it's 20 mins walk into town, 20 mins walk into Highfield Campus.

I'd say your sense of community is more linked to whether you're part-catered or not.. if you are, then you're more likely to meet your neighbours, but if you're in self-catered, you probably wouldn't meet as many people as you'd think!
Original post by geebee93

I'm going for Film FYI!

I have no idea what the drug scene is like. I drink but I don't [intentionally] get drunk. The alcohol scene is great for people like me and from what I understand, it's great for those who like drinking lots or who don't drink at all.

I was in Highfield Hall during my first year and it was great - everybody knew everybody (more or less), particularly because it was catered so you met everybody around meal times. The only 'bad' aspect is that the smaller number of residents means that there are fewer people on your course living in the vicinity, which means less help when you're stuck. A minor point though - it's the only one I could think of! I can't compare to the bigger halls like Glen Eyre though because I've never lived in another hall.
Reply 97
Is anyone currently studying Politics? If so, how are you finding it?
Reply 98
Original post by BMLR

Hi :smile: I'll be studying Film too! Whereabouts are you from?
Reply 99
Hey! Could I ask how are the hall rooms like? Would the part-catered and self-catered student with the same type of room live in the same place or different? Also, are there cooking facilities for part-catered rooms? Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending