The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

The Ask a Current University of Southampton Student Thread!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by NOVICIUS
I am EU. I did call EU advice but they send me back to UK as I am long long here (sry no personal data, old habit). I still wait for Student Finance to reply. I did send them over 200 pages of my bank account statement as requested. So..watching Boris madness and hoping for the best :smile:
Edit: I do know that my student status is guaranteed by law..for now

Ahh I see. If you don’t have a visa, I don’t think there are restrictions on how many hours you can work, however, you might want to double check that. For visa holders, I think it’s 10 hours? Again, not 100% sure though 😊
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Can someone please tell me what being a medical student here is like? (social life, accommodation and course/study stuff)
Thanks in advance to anyone that replies :smile:
Original post by THALCEDONY
Can someone please tell me what being a medical student here is like? (social life, accommodation and course/study stuff)
Thanks in advance to anyone that replies :smile:

That’s an incredibly broad question. I’m a med student at Southampton so.

Accommodation wise, you’re the same as anyone else studying at the university for the 1st two years. Most people have uni halls. There isn’t a specific halls for medics or anything so pick whatever floats your boat. Second year some people stay in halls others go into a private house/ flat with friends. Again like most other uni students. Third year you’re on commutable placements but your academic year finishes later so would need longer accommodation. Fourth and final year there’s free hospital accommodation available at most hospitals aside from Southampton (because it’s your uni base so you’d be expected to be there anyway) and Winchester (very commutable)

Social Life. All pretty similar to the rest of the university for your first two years so anyone on this thread could give more insight. People are probably better placed to do that since I’m not a massive societies person :smile:

There are also MedSoc associated societies which are separate from the main university that run their own events based on specialities of interest, medical school exams, conferences etc Most medics pick something here too because the timetable suits ours a bit more and it’s a fun meeting medics in different years.

Happy to answer questions about the course but lemme know if you’re considering BM4/ BM5/ BM6 :smile:
Original post by MedicalMuffins

Accommodation wise, you’re the same as anyone else studying at the university for the 1st two years. Most people have uni halls. There isn’t a specific halls for medics or anything so pick whatever floats your boat. Second year some people stay in halls others go into a private house/ flat with friends. Again like most other uni students. Third year you’re on commutable placements but your academic year finishes later so would need longer accommodation. Fourth and final year there’s free hospital accommodation available at most hospitals aside from Southampton (because it’s your uni base so you’d be expected to be there anyway) and Winchester (very commutable)

Social Life. All pretty similar to the rest of the university for your first two years so anyone on this thread could give more insight. People are probably better placed to do that since I’m not a massive societies person :smile:

There are also MedSoc associated societies which are separate from the main university that run their own events based on specialities of interest, medical school exams, conferences etc Most medics pick something here too because the timetable suits ours a bit more and it’s a fun meeting medics in different years.

Happy to answer questions about the course but lemme know if you’re considering BM4/ BM5/ BM6 :smile:

I'm considering BM5
Hi I'm an international student, I've got two questions
I think I won't be able to take all of my stuff in my suitcase, so I'm thinking of sending my stuff by post. But I don't know my room number yet. I'm in Glen Eyre, so can I just send it to the reception address, and get my stuff when I arrive?

Second question, I 'm gonna pay my fees by using the web payments site, but on the site, it requires a reference number. What do I have to put in?
Original post by Anonymous
Hi I'm an international student, I've got two questions
I think I won't be able to take all of my stuff in my suitcase, so I'm thinking of sending my stuff by post. But I don't know my room number yet. I'm in Glen Eyre, so can I just send it to the reception address, and get my stuff when I arrive?

Second question, I 'm gonna pay my fees by using the web payments site, but on the site, it requires a reference number. What do I have to put in?

To answer your first question yes :smile: reception can see if you’re living in halls so they’ll keep your parcel if it’s got your full name. It’s also open 24hrs too so you can grab it anytime.

For the second question, I’m not too sure and you’d be better off asking someone official from the uni as an online community might tell you something incorrect and you’ll see ££££ disappear. Contact the Student Services Centre team ([email protected]) or give them a ring.
Hey, I was wondering if there are any game design undergraduate? Also, what is it like studying at WSA and is there a divide between the different campus?
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 987
Can I get into Southampton with ABC A-level grades?
Original post by LumzaLum
Hey, I was wondering if there are any game design undergraduate? Also, what is it like studying at WSA and is there a divide between the different campus?

check out facebook if you mean for 19/20 :yy:
WSA is super pretty
it's easy to get from one to the other - there is a shuttle bus service :smile:
otherwise hopefully someone else who is on WSA can answer :bump:

Original post by Lostx

Depends on the course
but sometimes in clearing
although the lowest entry grades I have heard of at soton is BBB + A* in EPQ
Hey, I’m thinking of coming to southampton for oceanography and was wondering if anyone studies this already who could tell me what’s it’s like to study it? (I have been to the open day) and since it’s based at the oceanography centre would it be better to live in halls in the city centre?

Also another thing I was wondering was whether most people who go to Southampton are from the south? I’m from the midlands and most people around me go to northern unis - Newcastle, leeds, Manchester etc. Is it a lot more expensive? Does it make a difference?
W

Original post by MedicalMuffins

What made you pick southampton? And how good is the uni in terms of rankings?
Original post by Lostx

I did! I had ABC when I was accepted in August 2018 :biggrin:
Original post by Izzyf14
Hey, I’m thinking of coming to southampton for oceanography and was wondering if anyone studies this already who could tell me what’s it’s like to study it? (I have been to the open day) and since it’s based at the oceanography centre would it be better to live in halls in the city centre?

Also another thing I was wondering was whether most people who go to Southampton are from the south? I’m from the midlands and most people around me go to northern unis - Newcastle, leeds, Manchester etc. Is it a lot more expensive? Does it make a difference?

I don’t know much about Oceanography unfortunately but gauging where the NOCS is, I would say Mayflower halls are your best bet as they’re quick to get to from NOCS!

There’s a broad range from all parts of the UK and internationally, however, most people I’ve certainly met are southern UK. It is likely more expensive but it’s a ton of fun either way!
Original post by Izzyf14

Hey :hi:
Awesome stuff! If you are thinking of applying, you will get a better answer to your first question by going on a visit day and asking current students in the department :yy:

You can pretty much get anywhere - with University Halls you get a free bus pass with your accommodation. Buses link every campus and every hall to the city centre and Portswood etc.
You'll be fine wherever you go - however I may recommend Mayflower, Archer's Road and maybe even Highfield Hall/Wessex Lane.

I'm actually in the process of writing a big thread all about University of Southampton accommodation, if you have any particular questions though do feel free to PM/VM me or quote me here!

There is a mix of people. Ie: my closest friends are mostly international or from London/Liverpool - so it really depends on who you befriend!
You'll always meet a variety of people through societies you join and activities you go to as well :tongue:

Hope this helps,
Cheese
Hi,
I'm planning on applying for Medicine here. Can someone tell me what the university's like? People have been telling me the accommodation is good but the city itself is kinda dead. Is it true that the Medicine building is some run-down building rather than the new ones? And why is student satisfaction so low?(it's in the sixties according to Which?University) And is it true that the Medicine course is research-intensive?
I'm considering BM5

Okay cool. You might be worth posting in the medicine forum as I check that’s more often than I check here :smile: you’ll also find more Southampton medical students there too.

In a nutshell, Year 1 and Year 2 are your pre clinical years which are lectures, tutorials, practicals and placements (every other week).

Year 3 is half research project (gets you a BMedsci and is very unique to us and Nottingham) and half placements. All the placements are commutable from Southampton.

You have the option to intercalate at this point either internally (Masters level) or externally (Bsc or masters). This is where I am :smile:

Year 4 and 5 are clinical years. I haven’t done these years so can’t comment much. But it’s specialities in year 4 and broad medicine in year 5 (medicine, surgery and GP)

I like the structure and teaching as it makes logical sense in my head. We have a lot of tutorials for a school that is not PBL which I like Too as you can ask questions in an informal environment. And, the med school on the whole are a sociable bunch (typical drinking and non drinking)
Hi,
I'm planning on applying for Medicine here. Can someone tell me what the university's like? People have been telling me the accommodation is good but the city itself is kinda dead. Is it true that the Medicine building is some run-down building rather than the new ones? And why is student satisfaction so low?(it's in the sixties according to Which?University) And is it true that the Medicine course is research-intensive?

Medicine doesn’t have a building technically.
We share the life sciences building which is really nice and flashy. We share lecture theatres with the nurses which are decent enough.

Most stuff for medicine happens at University Hospital Southampton. We have our own block which has lecture theatres, Tutorial rooms, IT suites and a library.

It is old. So if you’re picking a medical school based on how’s flashy the building is, we aren’t that. Go elsewhere.

But if you like the location, the teaching methods, the vibe at the open day (if you went to one) and your UCAT is decent (we have a cut off) then it’s not a bad choice :smile:

student satisfaction wise, I’m not too sure. The old curriculum had shaky feedback. They have revamped the curriculum based on a lot of student feedback so over the next few years as people graduate with the new curriculum, it’ll probably go up.

As as I outlined above, the new curriculum structure is really well organised. People generally have a good time and it has community vibe. I can’t comment on specifics unless you ask them tbh. Not one thing is going to be responsible for poor student feedback.

Research intensive is a phrase a lot of med schools throw around. Are you into research or not? Then I can probably answer that better
Reply 997
Hi. Does Southampton have reading or flexible learning weeks in the Spring Term? Thanks
Original post by Nick_C
Hi. Does Southampton have reading or flexible learning weeks in the Spring Term? Thanks

What course are you hoping to study?
Reply 999
Marine Biology

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending