The Student Room Group

Black youth smashes into house and takes neighbours 2 year old baby

Scroll to see replies

What a fantastically brave young man.

I have to admit though that is one hugely misleading title.
Reply 21
Nice play on words in the title OP, Props.
Original post by theoferdinand
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2210803/Schoolboy-16-risked-life-going-burning-house-rescue-toddler-2-trapped-inside.html

A courageous 16-year-old boy risked his own life to save a toddler trapped inside a burning home.
Nelson Fonangwan was sleeping but leapt into action after hearing the desperate screams of a neighbour and found black smoke billowing from the property in Southampton, Hampshire.
Mother-of-two Aneta Jedlikoswka, 32, was frantically trying to punch a hole in her kitchen window to reach her trapped two-year-old son, Adam, who was knocking on the glass from inside.

article-0-1546C5C9000005DC-953_306x410.jpg

I like what you did there :wink:

I can guarantee that everyone who read the title, myself included, believed this to be a criminal act. It just shows how we have stigmatised the reputation of black people, not just in the UK, but in general. What a brave guy, hope he receives the acknowledgement he deserves.
Original post by TaylorGang_4

I can guarantee that everyone who read the title, myself included, believed this to be a criminal act. It just shows how we have stigmatised the reputation of black people, not just in the UK, but in general. What a brave guy, hope he receives the acknowledgement he deserves.

But 'smashes into house' is generally a bad thing whether OP said black or white or Asian.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
sigh. The "clever" thread title doesn't show anything about racist preconceptions. The emotive words are "smashed" and, moreso, "takes" - those are the words that make us think this was a criminal act. Would have been more interesting but the OP actually used the wrong word and made the title inaccurate - he did not "take" the baby, rather, "fetched" him.

You COULD have said; "Youth smashes into house and grabs baby" - accurate, same effect, without mentioning race at all. most people would still have assumed "kidnap" rather than "save".

In fact, you don't even need age, "Man smashes into house and grabs baby" would also have people's alarm bells ringing. which is interesting, and shows a lot about what we're used to reading in our papers.

Interestingly, though, I think in this case gender would change perception; "Woman smashes into house and grabs baby" would undoubtedly be more likely to have more people thinking "...to save it."

So... in short... this proves nothing about racial assumptions if that's what you were going for. The effect is the same regardless of race. And you should have used a word other than "takes" for this to be valid at all. "Smashes" is a clever play on words as it has negative connotations but is accurate. He did not "Take" the child, though, but "brought" him to his mother. "Grabs" works, as a synonym for "takes" BUT also describing the physical act of grabbing, I.e., he could grab the child without "taking" him.

Sooo... preconceptions experiment fail. Attempt to demonstrate racism where there is none by introducing too many other variables. Nice story, though, does make a change from the usual depressing "child grab" stories.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 25

The misleading title had nothing to do with the stigmatised reputation of black people. OP deliberately worded it in such a way as to give that impression, and its interesting that it's from theoferdinand
Reply 26
Original post by Bhumbauze
sigh. The "clever" thread title doesn't show anything about racist preconceptions. The emotive words are "smashed" and, moreso, "takes" - those are the words that make us think this was a criminal act. Would have been more interesting but the OP actually used the wrong word and made the title inaccurate - he did not "take" the baby, rather, "fetched" him.

You COULD have said; "Youth smashes into house and grabs baby" - accurate, same effect, without mentioning race at all. most people would still have assumed "kidnap" rather than "save".

In fact, you don't even need age, "Man smashes into house and grabs baby" would also have people's alarm bells ringing. which is interesting, and shows a lot about what we're used to reading in our papers.

Interestingly, though, I think in this case gender would change perception; "Woman smashes into house and grabs baby" would undoubtedly be more likely to have more people thinking "...to save it."

So... in short... this proves nothing about racial assumptions if that's what you were going for. The effect is the same regardless of race. And you should have used a word other than "takes" for this to be valid at all. "Smashes" is a clever play on words as it has negative connotations but is accurate. He did not "Take" the child, though, but "brought" him to his mother. "Grabs" works, as a synonym for "takes" BUT also describing the physical act of grabbing, I.e., he could grab the child without "taking" him.

Sooo... preconceptions experiment fail. Attempt to demonstrate racism where there is none by introducing too many other variables. Nice story, though, does make a change from the usual depressing "child grab" stories.

Could have also used rescued, for example
Reply 27

I can guarantee that everyone who read the title, myself included, believed this to be a criminal act. It just shows how we have stigmatised the reputation of black people, not just in the UK, but in general.

No it doesn't. It shows that people assume that someone 'smashing' into neighbour's house and 'taking' their baby is a bad thing, short of any additional information.

If the title was 'OAP smashes into house and takes neighbour's baby', I would have assumed the story was about some demented OAP babysnatcher.

Give me a break :rolleyes:

(Am a young black woman, FYI)
You never change daily mail :lol:
Nelson, who is originally from Cameroon in west Africa
Reply 29
I wish more kids were like this instead of all that YOLO bull****.
Original post by MancBoy
I wish more kids were like this instead of all that YOLO bull****.

Don't really see how those two things are related at all
Nelson, who is originally from Cameroon in west Africa, is studying health and social care, maths, English and PE. His principal Alice Wrighton said: ‘We're all so proud of Nelson for his brave actions.’

I give 2 mins

Spoiler

Reply 32
Sorry, so it's acceptable to keep mentioning he's black when he saves someone, but had he broken the law in some way, mentioning the fact that he's black would mean I were racist?

I'm disappointed, I really am.
Original post by Sheldor
Ha, I was almost expecting a chefdave post there! Nice uplifting story!

Posted from TSR Mobile

me too!
Reply 34
Original post by sugar-n-spice
Obviously it's to make people question themselves and how they view people because they might have thought that it was to commit a crime because of the stereotype of black males, when he actually saved the toddler. TSR gets dumber by the day.

Original post by foodnom
so disappointed in myself for completely misinterpreting the title
kinda teaches you not to stereotype really...

Original post by politics_student
:colondollar:

For all of you feeling bad about being 'racist' or 'ageist', the title "Person smashes into house and takes neighbours' 2 year old baby" would still make you assume a criminal had kidnapped a baby. You'd also be cross at the newspaper for not giving as full credit as possible to the person in the article headline.
Reply 35
Original post by sugar-n-spice
Obviously it's to make people question themselves and how they view people because they might have thought that it was to commit a crime because of the stereotype of black males, when he actually saved the toddler. TSR gets dumber by the day.

If he said "Man smashes into house and takes baby" I would have assumed they kidnapped. It has nothing to do with race.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending