The Student Room Group

Deferring after applying?

I may have to defer a year at university due to financial reasons, however, I would like to apply for entry in September 2013. I was wondering if anybody had any experience of deferring a year after applying? Like, if it was possible? how far in advance it was you had to let them know, that sort of thing? thanks in advance :smile:
Reply 1
I deferred my entry after I'd already confirmed my firm and insurance. All it took was an email to the admissions of both uni's and they sorted it out for me, nice and easy! That was back in 08/09 (deferred to 2010) cycle so not sure if things have changed.
Reply 2
I applied for 2012 and deferred to 2013. It wasn't much of a problem. They told me I could do it with out a problem if I let them know for sure by the start of August (course started in October). Think I let them know closer to the middle of August and it wasn't a problem then either.

I remember the said I could likely defer at any point but the only thing they didn't want was to defer then change back.
Reply 3
You'd have to contact your university directly if and when it comes to that. This happens on a case-by-case basis, so they could decide to accept or refuse your request to defer, though more often than not they will let you defer.

However before that I suggest you enquire as to what hardship funds or bursaries might be available - many unis have very good financial support arrangements to provide for such circumstances and so you may not need to defer over financial issues.
Reply 4
Original post by The Mr Z
You'd have to contact your university directly if and when it comes to that. This happens on a case-by-case basis, so they could decide to accept or refuse your request to defer, though more often than not they will let you defer.

However before that I suggest you enquire as to what hardship funds or bursaries might be available - many unis have very good financial support arrangements to provide for such circumstances and so you may not need to defer over financial issues.

This would be all very well and good but I feel I'm in a bit of an difficult position with that. I've left uni before on medical grounds and am reapplying for a new course at a new university. The university I'm applying to is in my home town, so I am close to home and my doctors should I have any more medical issues. However, I do really, really want to move out. I am hoping to get CPR on student finance so I get funding for the three years

Last time I was at uni, I had minimum grant and loan as I assumed my parents earned over the limit for loans, and it's not something I really like bringing on my dad. My parents have been under immense financial pressures due to problems with my dad at work but I don't know what his earnings are. My parents are not going to give me any contribution towards going to uni so I don't know if I would still be eligible for any loan or bursary? Would "hardship funds" still be a possibility for me here, or is that too, something that is based on parental income?
Reply 5
Original post by crowsy
This would be all very well and good but I feel I'm in a bit of an difficult position with that. I've left uni before on medical grounds and am reapplying for a new course at a new university. The university I'm applying to is in my home town, so I am close to home and my doctors should I have any more medical issues. However, I do really, really want to move out. I am hoping to get CPR on student finance so I get funding for the three years

Last time I was at uni, I had minimum grant and loan as I assumed my parents earned over the limit for loans, and it's not something I really like bringing on my dad. My parents have been under immense financial pressures due to problems with my dad at work but I don't know what his earnings are. My parents are not going to give me any contribution towards going to uni so I don't know if I would still be eligible for any loan or bursary? Would "hardship funds" still be a possibility for me here, or is that too, something that is based on parental income?

Bursaries are often dependent on either parental income or course of study, or exist for other purposes (eg sports, although these tend to be smaller)

Hardship funds are generally open to everyone who is experiencing financial difficulties.

Difficult as it may be, you should ask your parents as the non-means tested amount is not normally sufficient for students living in halls, it is expected that if your parents earn above the threshold they will contribute. Getting access to a higher loan and government grant may help to ease the financial pressure on them as well.
Reply 6
Original post by The Mr Z
Bursaries are often dependent on either parental income or course of study, or exist for other purposes (eg sports, although these tend to be smaller)

Hardship funds are generally open to everyone who is experiencing financial difficulties.

Difficult as it may be, you should ask your parents as the non-means tested amount is not normally sufficient for students living in halls, it is expected that if your parents earn above the threshold they will contribute. Getting access to a higher loan and government grant may help to ease the financial pressure on them as well.

yeah i know i need to speak to th em, but they have told me i'll be funding it more or less 100% myself, so i'm hoping that i will get a good grant/loan entitlement. do you know how far back they request info from? i'm guessing it won't just be based on income from the past year
Reply 7
Original post by crowsy
yeah i know i need to speak to th em, but they have told me i'll be funding it more or less 100% myself, so i'm hoping that i will get a good grant/loan entitlement. do you know how far back they request info from? i'm guessing it won't just be based on income from the past year

I'm afraid I don't know because I fell outside the boundary, but someone else might pop along a bit and tell you. (alternatively, there is probably an FAQ or dedicated section for this somewhere on the forum, if you sniff around the information must be out there already)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending