The Student Room Group

LLB What uni? HELP!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by Dandyflower
See - you're a nutjob.

And I am a nutjob because? I really think you should be off this forum.
Reply 181
Oh you've made a poll, how quaint.
Reply 182
Original post by Silphe
Oh you've made a poll, how quaint.

P*** O**
Reply 183
People like you are the reason black people are under-represented at the bar.
Reply 184
Original post by Silphe

I'm not black?
Reply 185
Original post by Silphe

She previously stated she is not black... AWKWARD... So in light of this fact and your statement in quotes, what exactly do you mean by your statement and can you elaborate please... perhaps I am a little too slow, but exactly what are you trying to say here...
Reply 186
I think Silphe is just trying to "bate" for an argument. I personally find the last statement of his quite offensive, if I was black, I would not be very happy about it, as, in my view he is insinuating that black people are under-represented at the bar, due to some kind of "negative" reputation they have and that in fact Chambers do not "like" to take on black people for these reasons. I think that's a bit outrageous and to try and insult someone with their race is out of line but this thread has become a bit like that. I would like this thread to continue to help others in a similar situation as it has some good advice and would appreciate others adding their experiences and opinion on the topic.
Reply 187
Original post by crystal1330
I think Silphe is just trying to "bate" for an argument. I personally find the last statement of his quite offensive, if I was black, I would not be very happy about it, as, in my view he is insinuating that black people are under-represented at the bar, due to some kind of "negative" reputation they have and that in fact Chambers do not "like" to take on black people for these reasons. I think that's a bit outrageous and to try and insult someone with their race is out of line but this thread has become a bit like that. I would like this thread to continue to help others in a similar situation as it has some good advice and would appreciate others adding their experiences and opinion on the topic.

I know what I think he means, but I would like him to clarify exactly what he means... I understand things can come out awkwardly in the heat of the moment etc... but sometimes it is better to take a deep breath and "dont press send" then to make what could be construed as extremely 'unhelpful' statements...
Reply 188
Original post by vnupe
I know what I think he means, but I would like him to clarify exactly what he means... I understand things can come out awkwardly in the heat of the moment etc... but sometimes it is better to take a deep breath and "dont press send" then to make what could be construed as extremely 'unhelpful' statements...

I am completely confident that everyone, including yourself will clearly understand what he is trying to say, I was just expressing my view. I have been readying all the recent Law threads similar to this and unfortunately he is on almost everyone, making these kind of remarks and statements. Just his style.
If you can get the grades for UCL, why not apply to Oxbridge, it is a no brainer really.
Original post by vnupe

I think you misunderstood it. I thought he meant that she was thick, but she had contacts at the bar - and the only way she'd succeed is through the contacts and that puts certain people at a disadvantage.
Reply 191
I'm just trying to provoke an argument. Protip Crystal, no-one else in 'your situation' would ever need the advice you're attempting to garner because they wouldn't be stupid enough to ask for it in the first place. You on the other hand are.
Reply 192
Original post by isthisreallife
If you can get the grades for UCL, why not apply to Oxbridge, it is a no brainer really.

Hi,

I cannot relocate as far as somewhere like Oxbridge for example.

London is within my grasp but as the degrees offered here; UCL, LSE, SOAS, are not flexible, I would have to wait a year, in all reality possibly two, to apply to them.

BPP seemed to be the only one that offered flexibility, that was worth going to, that I could apply to now.

That was my options.
Reply 193
I think you misunderstood it. I thought he meant that she was thick, but she had contacts at the bar - and the only way she'd succeed is through the contacts and that puts certain people at a disadvantage.

I in all honesty can't and don't accept that answer... even if he meant that he thought that she was thick... why did he have to bring race into it, if there was no implied (except by his comment) racial context...

If it was meant innocently enough, of all the 'characteristics to pick when mentioning that she was thick; why did he choose her perceived race... why not pick her gender for example... In the present context from his message it could be suggested that he assumed her race and her being thick but not her being thick and her gender were an aggregate component... or at least that is the context I took from his comment... feel free to continue to try and change my mind...

Plus there are many that are perceived at succeeding because of who they know not what they know... and in this economy that is also applauded/approved in 'normal' circumstances... again in light of the 'tone' of his verbiage, which seemed to be ridiculing in nature, I strongly suggest that this was not the case.
Reply 194
Original post by Silphe
I'm just trying to provoke an argument. Protip Crystal, no-one else in 'your situation' would ever need the advice you're attempting to garner because they wouldn't be stupid enough to ask for it in the first place. You on the other hand are.

That is quite funny because many people in my situation are on this forum. I know I am not thick, you are arrogant in even trying to make such a judgement.

You purposely avoid arguments that would show your stupidity and expose the extent of your judgmental personality. The people in the profession that have told me I should not be deterred, simply because I am beginning my Law journey at BPP, would you tell them they was thick?
Reply 195
Original post by vnupe
I in all honesty can't and don't accept that answer... even if he meant that he thought that she was thick... why did he have to bring race into it, if there was no implied (except by his comment) racial context...

If it was meant innocently enough, of all the 'characteristics to pick when mentioning that she was thick; why did he choose her perceived race... why not pick her gender for example... In the present context from his message it could be suggested that he assumed her race and her being thick but not her being thick and her gender were an aggregate component... or at least that is the context I took from his comment... feel free to continue to try and change my mind...

Plus there are many that are perceived at succeeding because of who they know not what they know... and in this economy that is also applauded/approved in 'normal' circumstances... again in light of the 'tone' of his verbiage, which seemed to be ridiculing in nature, I strongly suggest that this was not the case.

vnupe I really would not bother. If he decides hes better than you, he will through all sort of rubbish comments at you. I am surprised he hasn't actually touched on my gender yet.

Apart from one question that I asked, would my chances of succeeding in Law be dramatically reduced or diminished, based on the fact I did not obtain my degree from one of the Top universities, is the only reason I am being REPEATEDLY being called thick and stupid.

I am being realistic in terms on my current situation and was trying to see what others thought, preferably those that had some experience in this. Then because the advice I get from Barristers is that it will be highly important for some chambers, whilst for others it is not, I am now even more stupid for taking the advice of Barristers. Barristers that currently recruit pupils!
Reply 196

How you arrived at this explanation just shows the amount of cr*p you come out with.

I do not have contacts that I am relying on thank you. You need a lot more than contacts. And so you know, the people I do know at the Bar, I know off my own back. They are not friends or relatives. Really getting tiered of this thread now.
Reply 197
Firstly, it's - 'they were thick'.

Secondly, I really can't be bothered explaining to you why you're so very wrong. Many people in this thread have attempted (with empirical data) to explain to you in the kindest way possible why taking time out to ensure you go to a top university would be preferable; regardless, you persist.

Therefore, i thought i'd try a different tact. I thought that screaming at you via the medium of text might work, alas it hasn't and i am now at a loss of what to do.

Please go to BPP. If by some small miracle you manage to correct your appalling grammar and self-reightous attitude then kudos to you, perhaps that - coupled with your super duper successful business - might evolve into a pupillage.

Good luck, i'm done.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 198
Original post by Silphe
Firstly, it's - 'they were thick'.

Secondly, I really can't be bothered explaining to you why you're so very wrong. Many people in this thread have attempted (with empirical data) to explain to you in the kindest way possible why taking time out to ensure you go to a top university would be preferable; regardless, you persist.

Therefore, i thought i'd try a different tact. I thought that screaming at you via the medium of text might work, alas it hasn't and i am now at a loss what to do.

Please go to BPP. If by some small miracle you manage to correct your appalling grammar and self-reightous attitude then kudos to you, perhaps that - coupled with your super duper successful business - might evolve into a pupillage.

Good luck, i'm done.

I wouldn't normally grammar Nazi, but if your post involves slagging off someone else's grammar make sure you proof read it first...
Reply 199
Original post by crystal1330
vnupe I really would not bother. If he decides hes better than you, he will through all sort of rubbish comments at you. I am surprised he hasn't actually touched on my gender yet.

Apart from one question that I asked, would my chances of succeeding in Law be dramatically reduced or diminished, based on the fact I did not obtain my degree from one of the Top universities, is the only reason I am being REPEATEDLY being called thick and stupid.

I am being realistic in terms on my current situation and was trying to see what others thought, preferably those that had some experience in this. Then because the advice I get from Barristers is that it will be highly important for some chambers, whilst for others it is not, I am now even more stupid for taking the advice of Barristers. Barristers that currently recruit pupils!

Hello Crystal, in Silphe's defence only to his expression of you being thick, but not in the manner which he tried to justify them, I think his frustration was with your reply to what he perceived as an already answered question, many times over and by a variety of people on this thread.

I will reiterate my previous comments, BPP MAY not hinder you provided that you tick a number of proverbial boxes chief amongst them being that you come out with a very good degree classification. Something like 10% or less come out with first and depending on institution, not many more come out with "good" 2:1's which for most (the typical) candidates will count significantly in their favor.

I don't know if you would fall into the category of the typical candidate, but I can tell you this much... receiving a degree from the caliber of UCL, LSE etc, will make the up hill struggle considerably less arduous, then a similar qualification from BPP... the question which (IMHO) you should be asking is: Will deferring entry and waiting an additional year to attend one of those institutions be worth it? For most typical students that answer would be a categorical YES!... Only you know the answer to that question in your particular case...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending