The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

^Yeah if it's a technical stoppage inside 4 rounds it's a NC. I don't think they would have stopped it if Khan was cut like that...he messed up last time in Manchester, and got an enormous amount of stick. Had he bowed out on PPV it would have messed his career up big time. Only conjecture of course... MAB is a unique kind of fighter- a warrior you could say.

Prescott is a mighty puncher, but he's not been tested technically and physically- 99% of his fights have ended inside 3 rounds because he's banged them out. Khan and Roach can do a number on him imo. I wouldn't mind seeing it, but I doubt Warren will make it. Has to be JMM next imo- perhaps a warmup bout to prepare. JMM is a massive step up but Khan is quicker and has a defense at last. Now I'd pay to see that on Sky :teeth:
Reply 1981
Klinsmannic
^Yeah if it's a technical stoppage inside 4 rounds it's a NC. I don't think they would have stopped it if Khan was cut like that...he messed up last time in Manchester, and got an enormous amount of stick. Had he bowed out on PPV it would have messed his career up big time. Only conjecture of course... MAB is a unique kind of fighter- a warrior you could say.

Prescott is a mighty puncher, but he's not been tested technically and physically- 99% of his fights have ended inside 3 rounds because he's banged them out. Khan and Roach can do a number on him imo. I wouldn't mind seeing it, but I doubt Warren will make it. Has to be JMM next imo- perhaps a warmup bout to prepare. JMM is a massive step up but Khan is quicker and has a defense at last. Now I'd pay to see that on Sky :teeth:

No chance. One warm up fight leading to a JMM bout just won't cut it and I think he would get dismantled. It's still way too early for him. I agree that he needs to step up now and fight a real top ten fighter, but not the number one. IMO he should fight Prescott next, who I think he will outpoint easily, if not KO. Then he should fight maybe Katsidis or Casamayor. Then, he can start thinking about JMM. Unless of course what you said was sarcastic (which normally isn't lost on me.)
#13 can't go and fight #1 straight away, its silly.
^^Katsidis is another banger tbh. I like him, but I he's too one dimensional. If Khan doesn't decide to get macho and fight up close he'll outpoint him. Same with Prescott.

Khan won't get JMM next- Warren won't make it- but in one (max 2) fights I think he'll be ready to give him a tough bout and I'd like to see it sooner rather than later tbh. The 2 big question marks over Khan imo have been his defence (as Walshie said, not necessarily his chin) and his style (he had no style prior to Roach imo). Khan's attributes are all set up for him to box cleverly- he has the skills, the handspeed, and now the tactical coaching he's been crying out for which aids his defensive issues. He seems to be boxing behind a guard for once, and his lateral movement is much better. Roach is a genius both tactically and in terms of preparation (Khan gets to spar with Pacman lol) and that's a massive factor. Everyone knows I'm a big fan of Khan, but I genuinely feels he's a world class fighter- just needed direction and he's got that now.
I think next fight he should fight anyone of the top 10 if not top 5 and then fight the champ

anyone know much about prescott or whats happening with him? i havent heard from him since the khan fight
JMM is out of the question for Khan, he would get destroyed if they fought. And another thing is that there is no big-money fight out for JMM in the Lightweight division. He did what he wanted to do, move up weights & unify titles.

Khan's defence looked improved and he was to fast for MAB, but then again MAB was fighting out of one eye and the punches didn't seem to have any effect on MAB. Also it was at weight which was to much for MAB.

Fight should have been stopped within 4 rounds. The cut was the same as it was in the 1st come round 5 and MAB said they should have stopped it withing the first 4 rounds. Can't help but think that the Dr let it carry on to avoid a NC. It's a disgrace that that loss goes against MAB's awesome career.

As for Khan he needs to fight a top 10 natural lightweight. I can't help but thik he would get KO'd by the likes of Diaz, Katsidis & Valero (he's moving up). Knowing Frank Warren he'll probably have Khan fight for the WBO (Warren Boxing Organization) against a not so good lightweight. :rolleyes:
Reply 1986
Amir Khan does undoubtedly possess amazing handspeed, it's no easy feat having quicker punches than Pac. However I do think he needs to put his body in to the shots a bit more to get better leverage and to have a better impact. A bit of side to side movement wouldn't hurt either. I think he can take out Prescott and Katsidis next and this will also help cement his name in to boxing as a real up and coming talented boxer. Or he can take the Warren route and continue to fight washed-out bums. I truly hope for his sake, he ups his level of opponents considerably.
Reply 1987
JMM is too soon for Khan. Jumping from a MAB to P4P best fighter in world (okay then, 2nd best p4p) is a bit of a step! Katsidis first, Nate Cambell and the ilk before we get to JMM.

And MAB got beaten in every way by Khan. We saw glimpses of his brilliance in counter-punching, but he was truly out-boxed, out-powered, out-friggin everything.

I have high hopes for Khan, always have done. Not so sure on people like De Gale who I don't think will get to fight 10 without losing one, nor the other Super-middle bronze medalist. The only one with style out of that lot is Frankie Gavin.
Klinsmannic

Nicky Cook got pwned haha

Agreed, I'm not a fan of his big gob either. In fact, I'd like to see Amir take him out! And then Thaxton, Katsidis, Diaz, Cambell then JMM :biggrin:
i personally dont think khan sicne prescot has proved anything, barerra, to short, couldnt get close and landed 2 clean counters, <lets not forget he was disadvantaged in EVERY department except experience> and then we have the bum he fought previously.... say no more

still to this date, the only person khan has fought who was a legitimate contender smashed him up

we cant judge khan yet, not until he's tested against the calibre of opponent as prescott, talking of which shouldn't he be the one hunting the belts?

oh and one more thing, khan has been admitting that he wants to help pacman beat hatton after all the help and advice hatton has offered him, that and the show boating when he got hit is enough to put me off of him for life
Reply 1989
jermaindefoe
i personally dont think khan sicne prescot has proved anything, barerra, to short, couldnt get close and landed 2 clean counters, <lets not forget he was disadvantaged in EVERY department except experience> and then we have the bum he fought previously.... say no more

still to this date, the only person khan has fought who was a legitimate contender smashed him up

we cant judge khan yet, not until he's tested against the calibre of opponent as prescott, talking of which shouldn't he be the one hunting the belts?

oh and one more thing, khan has been admitting that he wants to help pacman beat hatton after all the help and advice hatton has offered him, that and the show boating when he got hit is enough to put me off of him for life

I agree with the Hatton remark, but he's piggy in the middle concerning Roach, as Pacman is part of that team. You're team-mates effectively. Hatton has given him advice, but he's not part of the same training camp. I don't think he's been too much a traitor. I'm a massive Hatton fan, but I see where Amir is with this.

Regarding Khan has never fought anybody apart from Prescott - if Khan beat Prescott, you'd have been one of those critical people still stating he hasn't fought anyone. Graham Earl was a credible opponent, no? Khan did prove soemthing against Barerra, he proved he can take a shot, he proved he is so much quicker than everyone else, he proved he has far superior boxing skills to pretty much everyone in the division, but essentially, he has proved he has learnt from that Prescott defeat by bringing his arms up. That's still something he could be improving on, but he has got better.
Né Stig
I agree with the Hatton remark, but he's piggy in the middle concerning Roach, as Pacman is part of that team. You're team-mates effectively. Hatton has given him advice, but he's not part of the same training camp. I don't think he's been too much a traitor. I'm a massive Hatton fan, but I see where Amir is with this.

Regarding Khan has never fought anybody apart from Prescott - if Khan beat Prescott, you'd have been one of those critical people still stating he hasn't fought anyone. Graham Earl was a credible opponent, no? Khan did prove soemthing against Barerra, he proved he can take a shot, he proved he is so much quicker than everyone else, he proved he has far superior boxing skills to pretty much everyone in the division, but essentially, he has proved he has learnt from that Prescott defeat by bringing his arms up. That's still something he could be improving on, but he has got better.

not at all, but anyway

anyway

lucky khan didnt do this, he would have sparked himself out :teeth:
Reply 1991
jermaindefoe
not at all, but anyway

anyway

lucky khan didnt do this, he would have sparked himself out :teeth:

I don't think Khan is made of china. I mean, he didn't get knocked out by the headbutt.
Klinsmannic

There's just no comparison between Khan and JMM. JMM is just leagues above him.

I think Khan vs. Prescott 2 is the most logical fight to be made; it's an opportunity for Khan to fight a sub-par fighter without anyone noticing, and to make a decent amount of cash with minimal risk. Prescott isn't a great fighter; he only beat Khan because Khan has a poor chin, and anyone who clips him will send him down (Featherweights like MAB don't count).
Reply 1993
JMM is way too soon for khan. A few more fights I think. And I hope his next few fights are against good opponents, not the bums Warren usually hands out.
shamrock92
There's just no comparison between Khan and JMM. JMM is just leagues above him.

I think Khan vs. Prescott 2 is the most logical fight to be made; it's an opportunity for Khan to fight a sub-par fighter without anyone noticing, and to make a decent amount of cash with minimal risk. Prescott isn't a great fighter; he only beat Khan because Khan has a poor chin, and anyone who clips him will send him down (Featherweights like MAB don't count).

No doubt, but the rest of the division is not all that imho. Khan and Roach should be aiming for the best, no more pissing about from Warren. Katsidis would be a waste of time, Casamayor would be a test but he's getting on a bit and Khan would win, Valero is a banger like Katsidis and Prescott (and is still banned from fighting in the major US states iirc?), Guzman is not a name and will get beat anyway (who has he fought?). The Diaz's (J and J) would be the biggest test, and should be used as a warmup for JMM imo. This division really is wide open when you take JMM out of the equation. The boards won't allow Khan to face off with him yet, but I can't wait for the fight to be made.

Khan's chin is still an issue, but against Prescott (and Limond) he took some clean shots right on the button. Pretty much every fighter in the division would have gone down if they had been smacked like that. Khan showed in the amateurs that he has a boxing brain. Combined with his speed and Roach's guidance (perhaps learning the Philly. PBF tapes?), plus some more sparring with Manny, Khan really could build a quality defense to stop getting hit so clean. How many times did PBF get smacked clean on the chin by bangers in the early rounds? Probably none. Khan won't ever be as defensively sound as your Whittakers, PBFs, RJJs, etc but the boy has enough boxing talent to become much much more elusive. He'll be a match for anyone when he gets this right, and the signs since Prescott have been promising in this regard.

-----------

A general point- I don't get this Khan hatred tbh (referring to the other thread, which was distinctly anti-Khan and included some racist posts). I'll back pretty much all British fighters, and I think everyone should get behind him. The excesses of youth may have interfered with his boxing a little, but he's our best young prospect, and should be getting much more respect imo. It's as if people are willing him to fail, which is sad.
Klinsmannic
No doubt, but the rest of the division is not all that imho. Khan and Roach should be aiming for the best, no more pissing about from Warren. Katsidis would be a waste of time, Casamayor would be a test but he's getting on a bit and Khan would win, Valero is a banger like Katsidis and Prescott (and is still banned from fighting in the major US states iirc?), Guzman is not a name and will get beat anyway (who has he fought?). The Diaz's (J and J) would be the biggest test, and should be used as a warmup for JMM imo. This division really is wide open when you take JMM out of the equation. The boards won't allow Khan to face off with him yet, but I can't wait for the fight to be made.

Khan's chin is still an issue, but against Prescott (and Limond) he took some clean shots right on the button. Pretty much every fighter in the division would have gone down if they had been smacked like that. Khan showed in the amateurs that he has a boxing brain. Combined with his speed and Roach's guidance (perhaps learning the Philly. PBF tapes?), plus some more sparring with Manny, Khan really could build a quality defense to stop getting hit so clean. How many times did PBF get smacked clean on the chin by bangers in the early rounds? Probably none. Khan won't ever be as defensively sound as your Whittakers, PBFs, RJJs, etc but the boy has enough boxing talent to become much much more elusive. He'll be a match for anyone when he gets this right, and the signs since Prescott have been promising in this regard.

Honestly, I don't think there are any easy fights to crack into the top level. The 3 Diazs, Guzman, Katsidis, Casamayor, Valero, Funeka, Campbell: they're all top names. They're certainly all guys with experience, with the power to KO Khan.

It's easy to look good against a Featherweight, who's several inches shorter and with a far narrower range, a lot less strength and past his best. How will Khan cope when he gets chased by someone like Juan Diaz? He can't just bob and weave, move in and out at will, block shots; he'll get tagged eventually. I think Khan will be able to avoid getting hit with his solid guard - which many fighters disregard criminally, and get hit for no reason - and decent movement. They're certainly two attributes Roach can give him in abundance.

Klinsmannic
A general point- I don't get this Khan hatred tbh (referring to the other thread, which was distinctly anti-Khan and included some racist posts). I'll back pretty much all British fighters, and I think everyone should get behind him. The excesses of youth may have interfered with his boxing a little, but he's our best young prospect, and should be getting much more respect imo. It's as if people are willing him to fail, which is sad.

I've got nothing against Khan; I just don't like the way he was fed a diet of poor fighters whilst the media pretended it was the Thrilla in Manilla all over again. I think he has been overhyped, and I think he's signed up to Sky with absolutely no mandate to be charging £15 to see him blast out some bum in a round or two (I'm not talking about MAB!). As an individual, he's come off that background reasonably well and intact as a driven boxer. I just fear that the next generation - Degale, Jeffries etc. - won't have the same commitment and the overzealous British press will ruin them.
shamrock92
Honestly, I don't think there are any easy fights to crack into the top level. The 3 Diazs, Guzman, Katsidis, Casamayor, Valero, Funeka, Campbell: they're all top names. They're certainly all guys with experience, with the power to KO Khan.

It's easy to look good against a Featherweight, who's several inches shorter and with a far narrower range, a lot less strength and past his best. How will Khan cope when he gets chased by someone like Juan Diaz? He can't just bob and weave, move in and out at will, block shots; he'll get tagged eventually. I think Khan will be able to avoid getting hit with his solid guard - which many fighters disregard criminally, and get hit for no reason - and decent movement. They're certainly two attributes Roach can give him in abundance.

I agree, those guys are all good in their own right, but many of them aren't versatile fighters...Katsidis for example just stands and delivers bombs, and they're not particularly snappy power shots because he has a huge follow through, especially on the right hand. Valero hasn't been tested, and is a pure power puncher and nothing more imo. Guzman has skills, but he's not that big a name because he doesn't have a good resume imo, Casamayor will struggle over 12 rounds against Khan I feel, the ageing Campbell twice got beat by Pedden (sp?) who wasn't particularly good iirc. Diaz will be a test I agree, but after JMM, Khan is the most naturally talented boxer- more than any of the Diaz's. I'll admit I haven't seen much of Funeka.

I've got nothing against Khan; I just don't like the way he was fed a diet of poor fighters whilst the media pretended it was the Thrilla in Manilla all over again. I think he has been overhyped, and I think he's signed up to Sky with absolutely no mandate to be charging £15 to see him blast out some bum in a round or two (I'm not talking about MAB!). As an individual, he's come off that background reasonably well and intact as a driven boxer. I just fear that the next generation - Degale, Jeffries etc. - won't have the same commitment and the overzealous British press will ruin them.

I agree, but that's really out of his control. My views on Warren, Sky and the Beeb (with the whole Fraudley debacle) are not positive shall we say and I've made plenty of posts about them before. But Khan shouldn't be the subject of such hatred from sections of the public and other boxers because of perceptions created by the media. Some fans are just out of order. DeGale got booed in his first fight akaik, which is scandalous.
Reply 1997
Klinsmannic

I agree, but that's really out of his control. My views on Warren, Sky and the Beeb (with the whole Fraudley debacle) are not positive shall we say and I've made plenty of posts about them before. But Khan shouldn't be the subject of such hatred from sections of the public and other boxers because of perceptions created by the media. Some fans are just out of order. DeGale got booed in his first fight akaik, which is scandalous.

When someone is as popular and in the media spotlight like Khan, he'll get scorned, unfairly. Khan is by quite possibly the best boxer in GB at the moment. His speed and boxing skills can't be matched, but where he's not as good is his defence, his timing and a shaky chin. Hatton has a combination of everything making him a great fighter.

Khan is a great prospect, he really is. I don't buy any of what the critics keep on saying. They're the same people who continued to criticise Calzaghe up until the final fight.

However, DeGale is pants. He will get knocked out. I don't rate him at all. He shouldn't have been booed, but I really can't see him going far, all be it until a proper opponent, which with Warren as his manager, he'll never see for quite some time. His mouth is shocking as well, truly.
anyone fancy tyson fury for big things, i think he has a massive chance of doing well, sounds a nice guy too
The only fighter that can beat Tyson Fury is Tyson Fury himself :teeth:

Latest