The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by pinda.college
I did not say it had anything to be with boxing, let alone Chisora not being a pub fighter.

I saw the persons' sig and wanted to tell them how I felt about it.

That's all.

You made no indication that you were talking about the person's sig so i assumed you were talking about the quote which is what one would naturally think.
Original post by desijut
You made no indication that you were talking about the person's sig so i assumed you were talking about the quote which is what one would naturally think.

Fair enough, I should have made myself more clearer that I was commenting on the sig.
Any final predictions on Maidana vs Alexander fight?

mine is Maidana by 9th round tko
I'd expect Maidana to win comfortably - apparently the fight's taking place in Alexander's backyard (what a great surprise) so if Devon wins, it'll be close or sneaky am guessing.
Tyson Fury's got a fight set up against Martin Rogan soon in Belfast, I think that that could be an enjoyable fight, and it's live on 5. I can't see Rogan putting up too much of a fight tbh, he's been out of the ring for a while, and although Fury is shakey and does have the tendency to fight like he's been on the whiskey for at least 2 rounds a fight, he's a fairly useful fighter for the other 10. Plus there's a 6 inch height difference, which fury could definitely use to his advantage.
Original post by Aky786UK
I'd expect Maidana to win comfortably - apparently the fight's taking place in Alexander's backyard (what a great surprise) so if Devon wins, it'll be close or sneaky am guessing.

well if maidana cant knock him out, it's going to be an alexander robbery most definitely.
Reply 4106
Oh how you should all eat your words!

I was dubious the moment I saw 10 rounds only. As we all know Maidana loves to come on strong the longer the fight. But to be honest, it could have gone on the additional 2 rounds and Alexander would have won both; he was classy, quicker and made Maidana look like a novice at times.

I tried to figure out if this was Alexander making Maidana look this way or whether it was Maidana just not performing. But either way, the 140lb division is seriously smoking right now.
Original post by Né Stig
Oh how you should all eat your words!

I was dubious the moment I saw 10 rounds only. As we all know Maidana loves to come on strong the longer the fight. But to be honest, it could have gone on the additional 2 rounds and Alexander would have won both; he was classy, quicker and made Maidana look like a novice at times.

I tried to figure out if this was Alexander making Maidana look this way or whether it was Maidana just not performing. But either way, the 140lb division is seriously smoking right now.

Lol ermm.......yeah man. Big props to Alexander. Proved us all wrong and owned him. There were even points were i thought Maidana was gonna get knocked out lol. I think it was round 6 or something where he got hit with a brutal body shot and started backing up.

In my opinion Maidana should stay at 140. Its a smaller division which suits his style better.
I watched that highlights and thought this should be a good fight. Alexander beat him easy, looks like 140 is quite poor. Maidana's punches were ineffective and looked like they tickled Alexander, if anyone was going to fall to the canvas it was Maidana
(edited 12 years ago)
I'll eat my words for sure. Caught the end of the highlights in the afternoon, and Alexander was really comfortable. I watched his fight with Bradley and felt so disappointed - in both fighters. But Maidana seemed lethargic, maybe the move to 147 is abit too much for him yet. But can't blame him, if Khan beats Petersen and moves up, the 147lbs is going to be the best division.

Watched a few moments of Broner on the undercard, heard his name a few times, this guy gearing up to be a Mayweather or something? He certainly seems to have his sort of style with his stance, but seems quick with his punches.
Reply 4110
Original post by Aky786UK

Watched a few moments of Broner on the undercard, heard his name a few times, this guy gearing up to be a Mayweather or something? He certainly seems to have his sort of style with his stance, but seems quick with his punches.

Oh gosh don't. Is he not the most arrogant sod ever!
The problem for him is, he has no one to fight at 130lb. Even the division up is aging with Marquez, Mitchell etc. But he really needs to move up a few. He seems tall enough to be able to do this. I mean, PBF done it, right?

I would love for someone to give this guy a hiding.
Original post by Né Stig
Oh gosh don't. Is he not the most arrogant sod ever!
The problem for him is, he has no one to fight at 130lb. Even the division up is aging with Marquez, Mitchell etc. But he really needs to move up a few. He seems tall enough to be able to do this. I mean, PBF done it, right?

I would love for someone to give this guy a hiding.

I saw briefly his entrance to the ring in some sort of white/green Sacha Baron-Cohen inspired Dictator uniform yapping away. I actually didn't know he was fighting at lightweight, his figure seems to big for that division. But he could clean up and move up to 140, and move on up.
Reply 4112
Chisora banned indefinitely :lol:
Original post by R-KAM
Chisora banned indefinitely :lol:

by the wbc - who don't mind a wife beater but hate a little scuffle

sulaman- the bloke is a knob
The guy seems on a power trip, Sulaiman that is.

Chisora deserves punishment but to have it dished it out without a hearing just sounds like a knee-jerk reaction. He can still box for the other world titles and I'm sure as both brothers like to swap fighters, Wlad will happily take on Chisora down the line.
This ban won't last. There's just too much money to be made with him, specially if there were to be a Haye vs Chisora fight.
Reply 4116
Original post by jermaindefoe
by the wbc - who don't mind a wife beater but hate a little scuffle

sulaman- the bloke is a knob

Aye, bunch of a corrupt bastards.

This post from another forum sums it up.

Where do I start, ok heres one. Antonio Margarito, suspended from boxing for loaded gloves and lost his license, the single biggest crime you can commit in boxing. Has the potential to kill. He however was allowed fight, not once but twice for a WBC belt since his suspension.

Now, which is worse? Which is a more heinous crime.

How about Mike Tyson and the Lennox Lewis fight at the presser, Tysons homophobic statements to members of the media and generally just lost it. Allowed to fight, no problem Mike.

or this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfCv4PzsX10 also for a WBC belt.

OR Holmes and Berbick in there press conference fight http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zlQqSCzRrA

BOttom line, WBC are the most corrupt bastards in boxing, I am not condoning Chisoras actions but the reaction by the WBC is horrible.

or pretty much any of these http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3N_vvuppyTs

Bottom line, Del brings no money, if he was a name, no way in hell the WBC bans him.

Its just pathetic.
Kell Brook beats Matthew Hatton.

Have to say, really impressed with Brook tonight. He showed speed, good aspects of a defence, shame he couldn't get the KO but Hatton used his experience to cling on when he was in trouble.

Brook's converted me as a fan of his, he's done and dusted domestically. Next is a fight with a top ten welterweight. Glenn McCrory suggested Berto, not so sure if that's the sort of fight for Brook but who knows. Any suggestions? He could fight a top ten guy and then possibly face Khan at the end of this year or the start of 2013.
Who just saw Macklin put out an astonishing effort against Sergio Martinez? Absolutely brilliant for the first 9 rounds trading and at times even pressing and giving Martinez trouble, managed to get a flash knockdown (slightly controversial) Which woke Martinez up then Martinez step it up a gear and finished him in the 11th. Great effort from a British fighter against the recognized 3rd p4p behing Floyd and Manny, excellent fight.
Original post by Glow in the dark
Who just saw Macklin put out an astonishing effort against Sergio Martinez? Absolutely brilliant for the first 9 rounds trading and at times even pressing and giving Martinez trouble, managed to get a flash knockdown (slightly controversial) Which woke Martinez up then Martinez step it up a gear and finished him in the 11th. Great effort from a British fighter against the recognized 3rd p4p behing Floyd and Manny, excellent fight.

I agree. Some decent work from Macklin on the inside against a pure class counter puncher.

Did you see what score the three judges had by the end of the 11th?

One judge had them even (same as me).
But the other two had Macklin 4 rounds ahead!

Latest