The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

AJ, Haye, Wilder, Fury, Wlad, Povetkin - if they all fight each other (maybe even a tournament) that would be so awesome!

**** it, lets have a 6 man hell in a cell :tongue:
Original post by frankieboy
Personally thought -

Eubank looking great actually, beautiful combos, what about that uppercut? I really want to see both him and Canelo vs GGG at some point.

Murray/Groves both great. Gotta admire Murray's heart.

Was a little underwhelmed with Joshua this time as it goes, even though I'm a fan. Got the job done though.

Original post by Rk2k14
Wouldn't say world level yet. Just that one big fight away.
Agree, BJS first would be better because its a chance to rectify his loss and get a world title belt at it. Then the monster that is GGG.

Canelo's fighting one of the Smith brothers. Guess we have to wait another year for him vs GGG:frown:

Original post by Kenan and Kel
Eubank would be at the very least be competitive against anyone at 160 except GGG.

Think Hearn will sneak another easy one in for Joshua before the Parker fight. And then a big one in the Summer.

Eubank did seem to have really developed between the Blackwell bout and this weekend's. Like he said post-fight, he's not messing about. I think he realises his time is now. It's a shame he's in such a GGG-dominated division.

Joshua seems content to fight Parker, because the Fury bout wasn't scheduled to take place until the winter anyway.

When Wilder inevitably overcomes Arreola then a unification between them is an option, and you've still got Pulev, Povetkin (outside of drug issues) and Ortiz.

The good news is that AJ is calling them all out. He seems to be relishing the chance to become the world's dominant heavyweight.

Domestically, Hearn and his boys can always rely on Haye, when he beats a well past his best Briggs.
GGG vs Brook

How about that
Another fighter chatting **** about GGG only to run off with his tail between his legs.
Eddie's clearly fuming with Eubank Jr - and vice versa.

Hard to know what went on, but Eubank Jr was reportedly offered the same PPV/money structure that AJ and Froch had.

If it's good enough for them, it's good enough for him.

He delayed confirming the fight, whereas Brook accepted straight away.

Feed Eubank Jr to BJS now.*
Props to Brook for taking the fight, from the likes of Jo Jo Dan to GGG :redface: Don't think he will win but its a win win situation like Khan v Canelo where he's going to get props whatever the outcome. If he wins he'll go right to the top of the boxing world and will probably fight FM for his 50-0... That is a huge IF though, GGG is a beast lol
It's a very reckless decision from Matchroom, but I can see why Brook wants the fight, given the fact he's a big 147lbs fighter, and it won't hurt his standing at welterweight level.

GGG is close to flawless. This won't last six rounds, I don't think. *
RIP Kell Brook 1986-2016
Fury and Wlad rescheduled for October, by the way.
I think Golovkin might win, But I wouldnt underestimate Kell Brook.
Kell Brook has amazing agility and speed. I think he will give a good fight.
Brook takes shots well, but as I've said, GGG is near flawless. Sure, he can be flat footed at times. I actually think he's capable of leaving himself exposed on occasion, too, by over-reaching for punches. But we've only seen Murray take him far into a fight.

And Murray is a durable, tough and big old boxer. Brook is big for a 147lb fighter, as I've said, and likely hits the ring in the late-150s anyway, but it's a big task and a big ask.*
Brook will be hoping to last longer than six rounds than Khan did v Canelo but like the announcement for that fight, this has come out of the blue. It's a disappointment Brook hasn't been able to fight a high value name in his own division so think Hearn is thinking like Khan did v Canelo. Nothing to lose. Khan will be hoping he loses in less than five rounds.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mackay
Brook takes shots well, but as I've said, GGG is near flawless. Sure, he can be flat footed at times. I actually think he's capable of leaving himself exposed on occasion, too, by over-reaching for punches. But we've only seen Murray take him far into a fight.

And Murray is a durable, tough and big old boxer. Brook is big for a 147lb fighter, as I've said, and likely hits the ring in the late-150s anyway, but it's a big task and a big ask.*

It's one thing taking Carson Jones' shots. It's a whole other thing taking the shots of the biggest puncher p4p in the world, at 160. Brook's very good though, so I think he'll take him rounds.

Golovkin isn't flat-flooted, only when he knows that there's nothing come back from the opponent. You'll imagine he'll be able to walk through the punches of the smaller Brook. But if Brook shows slickness and strength, Golovkin may be forced to resort to his great jab.
Original post by Aky786UK
Brook will be hoping to last longer than six rounds than Khan did v Canelo but like the announcement for that fight, this has come out of the blue. It's a disappointment Brook hasn't been able to fight a high value name in his own division so think Hearn is thinking like Khan did v Canelo. Nothing to lose. Khan will be hoping he loses in less than five rounds.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's certainly an odd decision - and it's not wise of Matchroom to be putting their fighters into such wild mismatches like this.

The fans will tire of it quickly.*
Original post by Mackay
It's certainly an odd decision - and it's not wise of Matchroom to be putting their fighters into such wild mismatches like this.

The fans will tire of it quickly.*

You have to credit fighters for accepting a challenge to a guy who is few weights above them but it's sad to see promoters shove boxers like Brook/Khan into thesmega-fights which doesn't do much for them besides increasing their bank balance. Whereas their careers would be benefited by facing fighters who are in their weight category (Brook was rumoured to be facing Jessie Vargas) rather than going up in weight.
I know, right? It's just two men standing there taking it in turns to hit each other in the face until one of them passes out.

I much prefer lawn bowls. :colone:
Brook's in a much better position. Unlike Khan, he has a title in the division so he's always got that to fall back on. Vargas and Thurman are hardly going to turn him down for losing to GGG so its a win win for him.
Original post by Aky786UK
You have to credit fighters for accepting a challenge to a guy who is few weights above them but it's sad to see promoters shove boxers like Brook/Khan into thesmega-fights which doesn't do much for them besides increasing their bank balance. Whereas their careers would be benefited by facing fighters who are in their weight category (Brook was rumoured to be facing Jessie Vargas) rather than going up in weight.

Completely agree, mate.

These types of fights are great for the buzz and anticipation now, but will anybody look back on them fondly? GGG has a great British fight in him, for sure, but I don't think that's against Brook.*
Original post by Rk2k14
Brook's in a much better position. Unlike Khan, he has a title in the division so he's always got that to fall back on. Vargas and Thurman are hardly going to turn him down for losing to GGG so its a win win for him.

Not sure about that. Brook's going in there with someone who can end careers.

He's also struggling to get the big names in the ring at 147, even with the belt. If he looks somewhat good against GGG, he'll be avoided even more. If he gets dominated, well he'll be in the same position as he is now, I guess he'd have gotten his name out there a bit more in the States which could help. Khan on the other hand will always be a name, and other top welterweights don't see him as a dangerous opponent due to his style. Khan'll always be able to attract the big names at 47 tbh.
Original post by Kenan and Kel
Not sure about that. Brook's going in there with someone who can end careers.

Hm, I agree, but I still think this is a free swing for Brook.

If Brook loses - even if he loses badly in the first round - it does little to hurt his standing at 147lbs.

Latest