The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Yarde has never been tested and never gone past 7 rounds.

He's also very inexperienced given his lack of amateur career (12 amateur fights) and 18 pro fights. He came to boxing quite late.

If he can beat Kovalev in his 31st fight (amateur + pro!) in Russia of all places then fair play, take a bow.

But: people forget that Kovalev was one of the most avoided fighters in the world for a few years. People also forget that he clearly beat Andre Ward in their first fight. In the second fight he was defeated by 3 clearly illegal shots to the balls (though I agree Ward would have edged the fight overall).

Kovalev bounced back impressively from his KO loss to Alvarez, putting on a boxing clinic against a genuinely world class fighter. That was only 6 months ago. If that Kovalev shows up again then Yarde has no chance at all.
Original post by Palmyra
Yarde has never been tested and never gone past 7 rounds.

He's also very inexperienced given his lack of amateur career (12 amateur fights) and 18 pro fights. He came to boxing quite late.

If he can beat Kovalev in his 31st fight (amateur + pro!) in Russia of all places then fair play, take a bow.

But: people forget that Kovalev was one of the most avoided fighters in the world for a few years. People also forget that he clearly beat Andre Ward in their first fight. In the second fight he was defeated by 3 clearly illegal shots to the balls (though I agree Ward would have edged the fight overall).

Kovalev bounced back impressively from his KO loss to Alvarez, putting on a boxing clinic against a genuinely world class fighter. That was only 6 months ago. If that Kovalev shows up again then Yarde has no chance at all.

Great analysis
Yarde knocked out by a jab (!) in the 11th round. Levels. As we expected.

Was a beatdown, Yarde's corner should have thrown in the towel at least a few rounds earlier.

Kovalev's jab is elite.

Yarde has a few good rounds mid-fight with the body shots then rocked Kovalev in the next round, but Kovalev recovered well and re-established dominance.

Yarde showed he has a great chin, but terrible conditioning and poor technical boxing skills. He needs to jab better and work on more body shots. Even more importantly, he has to become leaner and lose some of that muscle mass.
He did better than I expected, I thought Kovalev would take him apart within 6/7 rounds. Showed a good chin which is surprising as most people seemed to suggest that was the reason we hadn't seen him in against proper competition. Thought it was a poor fight from Kovalev, but showed what elite talent and experience will do for you.

Kovalev though, I wouldn't fancy this version of him against Canelo. Bit of mexican beef and I think he'll carry the power up.
Yarde started believing his own hype and the team around him are awful.

Canelo’s body shots will crush the Krusher.

Latest