The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1780
Né Stig
That is a bizarre match.
ODLH is going to crucify him. I think Pacman dropped a clanger here in moving up such a substantial weight.

It would have been better against Hatton.

I guess I have to quote what I thought a few weeks back - in my defence, half the journalists thought what i thought!

That is truly an unbelievable win for Pacman. In a weird way, I obviously wanted to see Pacman win to see him fight Ricky. I'm not so sure now - I actually haven't seen this fight, but by the reports I've read, he terrorised him!

It seems daft to make predictions after the comment above, but Froch will easily beat Jermain Taylor. That fight won't happen though - not valuable enough for Taylor. If he's going to lose, he wants a chance of earning millions in the process. He won't earn that against Froch - and he won't earn the reputation either.

Fraudley Harrison was the subject for starting the Boxing thread. I should quote my opening paragraph on this fool again. Does he never quit?
Reply 1781
This is a great analysis from boxingscene forum:

Originally Posted by Arka Vi
Why didn't Oscar balloon upto 160?????
Nobody has seemed to answer this question

Tengoshi

Because given the new body he created he couldn't. He created a WW body for himself for this fight, one that he can no longer inhabit in any form of fighting shape. He drained himself down to below 147 and maintained that weight for a long while, shrinking his frame and muscular structure to fit the strenuous demands placed upon it to carry it. He even went to lengths to come in to the weigh-in underweight just to prove the point, attempting to pull a Hopkins.

I guess Oscar was stupidly trying to make a point with his weight and ,in doing so,terminated his own career.
Reply 1782
ODLH said he could hit light-welter.
I don't think losing a few pounds is going to hurt him. He's fought at that era well before and done well against Chavez.

He only dropped one weight division. I don't understand how he could 'balloon' up to 160lb (middleweight)? Preposterous assertion.

We could all argue that Pacman had it hard living with muscle born at 127lb and carried in at 145lb. So equally, if not harder than ODLH.
so if hatton does fight pacman at wembley, whos going? i am for sure
Reply 1784
Né Stig
ODLH said he could hit light-welter.
I don't think losing a few pounds is going to hurt him. He's fought at that era well before and done well against Chavez.

He only dropped one weight division. I don't understand how he could 'balloon' up to 160lb (middleweight)? Preposterous assertion.
"
We could all argue that Pacman had it hard living with muscle born at 127lb and carried in at 145lb. So equally, if not harder than ODLH.

Gatti-Gamache Check the fight out.

[B]"In a February 2000 junior-welterweight bout (one of six bouts before a fight between de la Hoya and Derrell Cooley at Madison Square Garden), Joey Gamache and Arturo Gatti each met their 141 pound weight requirement eight hours before their fight. Thereafter, Gatti, using a rehydration strategy, ballooned to 160 pounds. Gamache did not use this strategy and fought at 145 pounds. HBO weighed both boxers prior to their fight, but the results were immaterial according to the governing rules. The fight was stopped after lasting only 20 seconds into the second round. Gamache was allegedly left with severe and permanent neurological injuries that ended his boxing career"
http://sports-law.blogspot.com/2006/04/down-with-count-do-weigh-in-procedures.html

With the 36 hour period after the weigh-in and the fight it is a common strategy.Acelino Freitas was a master of this.
Was surprised Pacman would win so easily, a tad embarrassing for DLH to retire on his stool although would have been even worse had Pac KO'd him straight.

Pacquiao vs. Hatton seems the next fight, Id love to see that although I feel Pac would beat Hatton. Ricky's good, but like Floyd Mayweather Jnr, Pac's just above Hatton's level. Maybe Mayweather Jnr vs. Pacquaio, might tempt the former out of retirement?

Wish Harrison would call it quits, what a joke. Even after the fight, he's giving the usual talk of coming back. If I was Frank Warren, Id give up on him.
Reply 1786
I'm not saying that Pacman could not still have won,but Oscar did himself no favours by neutralising the one advantage that he had.
Easy to say with hindsight of course....:biggrin:
What does oscar keep chewing on in his last 2/3 fights? Diuretics? ...hmmm
What are your thoughts on Amir Khan, people?

His attack is ferocious tbh, can he get right to the top through his attack, if it compensates for having a weaker defence and argued weak chin...

Attack the best form of defence, could this carry Khan right to the top?
white_haired_wizard

His attack is ferocious tbh, can he get right to the top through his attack, if it compensates for having a weaker defence and argued weak chin...

nope coz when you fight the best you will always get rocked once in a fight or once in 2 fights, and i can predict now khan doesnt "rock" he hits the floor

if you saw froch last night those two had blatant punch resistance, its necessary for a fighter, Kahn has NONE
Reply 1790
white_haired_wizard

He'll get to the top, no problem. He's too good a boxer, with power. The Prescott fight was a set-back, period. The worst thing about that fight was not his losing, but the fact that over-cautious Frank Warren will now go back to crap opponents against Kahn, as proved last night.

Amir Kahn is such an incredibly good boxer, no doubt.
Né Stig
I guess I have to quote what I thought a few weeks back - in my defence, half the journalists thought what i thought!

That is truly an unbelievable win for Pacman. In a weird way, I obviously wanted to see Pacman win to see him fight Ricky. I'm not so sure now - I actually haven't seen this fight, but by the reports I've read, he terrorised him!

Oh come off it...

ALL the journalists thought what you (and i) thought. :P Few were braver than to offer thoughts such as "maybe ODLH is past it...his weight issue" etc.

Manny P vs PBF would be a massive fight. Easily the biggest since...well since i have been a boxing fan! You'd have to tip PBF to win, but then...after last night.

HBO - i watched on youtube - scored every single round to the pacman. Even hatton got a round or 2 in against PBF and Malignaggi against Hatton. Thats how bad it was.
Né Stig
He'll get to the top, no problem. He's too good a boxer, with power. The Prescott fight was a set-back, period. The worst thing about that fight was not his losing, but the fact that over-cautious Frank Warren will now go back to crap opponents against Kahn, as proved last night.

Amir Kahn is such an incredibly good boxer, no doubt.

You need at least some sort of a chin to be a good boxer. Kahn has been knocked down countless times. Even willie lymond knocked him down and he is not a puncher atall.
Even though he fought a journeyman, the Khan performance was a good sign, his combinations seemed better constructed. He'll do well with Roach.

Saw the DLH vs. Pacman fight and the latter just owned Oscar, a brilliant performance. I feel that Pacquiao would be too good for Hatton, he's a class above IMO. Bet Hatton deep down was hoping that DLH would win as he'd make big dollars.

What fight does everyone want to see?

Hatton vs. Pacquiao?

OR

Floyd Mayweather Jnr vs. Pacquaio? (If the former comes out of r'tirement)
Reply 1794
Aky786UK
Even though he fought a journeyman, the Khan performance was a good sign, his combinations seemed better constructed. He'll do well with Roach.

Saw the DLH vs. Pacman fight and the latter just owned Oscar, a brilliant performance. I feel that Pacquiao would be too good for Hatton, he's a class above IMO. Bet Hatton deep down was hoping that DLH would win as he'd make big dollars.

Hatton vs. Pacquiao?

OR

Easily, the Pacman is a great fighter and a nice guy, I like him. Mayweather is a an arrogant moron who gives me laughs, but I haven't seen a more talented boxer. Would love this fight to go ahead.
Aky786UK

Hatton vs. Pacquiao?

OR

It comes down to this...are you a boxing fan? or a ricky hatton fan? :p:
Reply 1796
white_haired_wizard

I was a little harsh on the lad,but truth be told he is an exciting fighter.
Besides, if a boxer can punch-whatever his faults-he is alright in my eyes.:smile:
Manny should be fighting Hatton next (at 140), which will give PBF time to get in shape for late 2009 (probs at 135). Hatton will get stopped late on imo. The PBF fight would be a real money spinner (more so than Hatton), but it won't be that great to watch imho...on paper it seems like a back pedal fight. Manny will probably be looking to end his career against J.M. Marquez- will settle all the disputes after their last two bouts. He should then retire- if he wins all three he'll be a top 10 ATG. May still earn it even if he loses to PBF, which I wouldn't like to call.

As for the question about Khan, I agree with Ne Stig...he'll get to the top eventually...it just depends on how Warren wants to do it (i.e. how many risks he wants to take). He needs to continue working with Roach, however much it costs. One of the Mayweathers would also be a massive help to him, especially because he needs to learn how to defend himself, and the Mayweathers know exactly how.
Id like to see Pacman move down to 140 and Juan Manuel Marqez move up and for them to complete a trilogy. I honestly thought that Jan Manuel Marqez won their 1st fight which given as a draw and i thought in the rematch the rounds were not as evenly scored as judges put it, Juan Manuel Marquez pipped it for me. Pacquiao doesn't want a 3rd fight as he knows Juan Manel Marquez can beat him after their first 2 fights.

Juan Manuel Marquez looked incredible at lightweight when he beat Joel Casamayor and Casamayor is a tough fighter at that weight.

Forget Hatton, forget PBF i think Jan Manuel Marquez deserves to fight Pacquiao.
Reply 1799
Klinsmannic
One of the Mayweathers would also be a massive help to him, especially because he needs to learn how to defend himself, and the Mayweathers know exactly how.

:yep: It doesn't matter who trains him really, but improving his defence has to be a major priority if he wants to be world champ. He gets hit too esay for my liking. There's question marks over his chin too, he's somehow got to eradicate that, try and get hit less often, just like PBF, perfect example.

Latest