The Student Room Group

Freelance web developer - Finding new clients. Help!!

Hi Everyone,

I taught myself to develop websites over the summer and gained an understanding of:

- HTML
- CSS
- PHP
- WordPress
- JavaScript (minimal)

I have been using a site called People Per Hour to find freelance work but am finding it hard to gain work over that site.

Currently I am a university student studying Business Management but have developed a real passion for web design and learning more and more about the art everyday.

Can anyone offer me advice on how to find and approach potential clients?

I would really like to work with small start ups who have limited budgets but need a modern functional website.

Many thanks!
Target local small firms, youd be more likely to get work from them I believe. Maybe set up your own website and put a portfolio on it, even if theyre fictitious sites at least youre showing people what youre capable of.
Check out some business forums, you get no end of people on there who are looking for a site designed on the cheap (which is good for you to start)
Hi

I am on PeoplePerHour and a few of the other Freelance sites. It is difficult on them because you will get outbid often by offshore firms looking to do jobs on the cheap. The best thing to do on those sites is explain you experience with each bid.

I graduated a few years ago and I'm now a freelancer/senior developer in London and I have had a few years experience working with top agencies and companies i.e MTV etc. It is difficult as a freelancer but if you are also willing to take on contract roles then that is also another route to go down.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by DanielMonopoly
Hi Everyone,

I taught myself to develop websites over the summer and gained an understanding of:

- HTML
- CSS
- PHP
- WordPress
- JavaScript (minimal)

I have been using a site called People Per Hour to find freelance work but am finding it hard to gain work over that site.

Currently I am a university student studying Business Management but have developed a real passion for web design and learning more and more about the art everyday.

Can anyone offer me advice on how to find and approach potential clients?

I would really like to work with small start ups who have limited budgets but need a modern functional website.

Many thanks!

I've been using PPH and similar websites for writing and unfortunately I have not had much success either. You do tend to get outbid often. I think you should start off first with looking around forums etc... and asking friends and family for jobs too :smile:
Go to local networking events, post your services on gumtree, interact with local business groups on linkedin and facebook.

Most of all make sure you've got your own freelance portfolio site (it really helps build confidence in your work).
Reply 6
I highly recommend attending the networking events, especially small group ones. It's a more intimate setting compared to large networking events where all anyone wants from you is your money, which defeats the purpose of genuine networking. When you build the relationships, the clients will come. There is nothing more powerful than word of mouth, period.
Reply 7
This article was very helpful for me when starting out http://www.instantshift.com/2011/04/14/25-promising-ways-designers-can-find-new-clients/

Forget about online clients and focus on your local area. There is just too many freelancers/companies chasing very few clients and people who need a job done usually pay you peanuts.

Local clients has its advantages. You could also offer website training instead of design. Charge £99-£250 for 1 day training. My local newspaper agency began using WordPress earlier this year and they were novices at it.

If you don't have time to meet in person then group skype screen share is an even better solution to make money quicker.

Latest

Trending

Trending