The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Juichiro
Just a thought. If a woman exposes herself it is humiliating for her, right? Where is the logic?

There's a lot of double standards in society that are the result of the socially assigned difference between men and women. Although again, context is key. I think if a man and a woman were alone in a street and the woman exposed herself in front of him, it would be perceived as threatening. However, women are taught to fear rape throughout their whole lives so if a man exposed himself in front of her, of course she is going to be scared of him. In addition to this, men are generally stronger than women so she has less chance of getting away if he was to attack her.

Original post by Juichiro
If that person was a woman, most men would be sexually aroused.
If that person was a man, most men would just laugh at him.
I am guessing this is a case of feminine body perception which can't really be extrapolated.

Come on, men aren't attracted to every pair of breasts/vagina they see. The woman could be someone they find very unattractive and I'm sure no-one wants to see body parts of people they don't find attractive.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by qwerty7
They're rape survivors? I don't understand what's so confusing about this.

Why must they necessarily be rape survivors, and not merely a group of feminists showing solidarity with other feminists?

The latter is far more likely
Those women completely discredited themselves, whose going to take this 'slutwalk' (anyone else thinks its a ****ing stupid name?) seriously after that massive cluster**** of baying wenches? (ok, a little chauvinistic towards the end :wink: )
Reply 43
Original post by qwerty7
Just thought I'd repost what someone else has written on a blog about the story, it provides some context on what happened and why there was such an outcry about the man's actions.

"This occurred at a Slut Walk. For those not familiar with it, the Slut Walk is basically a peaceful protest seeking to eliminate the rape apologism so prevalent in society. The basis is that no woman is “asking for it,” with “it” being rape. It’s not a feminist protest; it’s a human rights protest.
Many of the protesters, as you can probably imagine, have dealt with sexual harassment or rape in their own lives. Many of them have structured their daily activities to avoid being raped. The gathering is supposed to be a place for them to feel empowered and able to recover in the company of those who understand what they’ve been through or who will not blame them.

Nobody at a Slut Walk will tell a survivor that it’s her fault. They will not ask what she was wearing to provoke her attacker. Nobody will say she had too much to drink. Nobody will tell the men in the group that they are inherently rapists themselves, and nobody will tell a male survivor that his experience “wasn’t really rape.”

Then, this fellow comes along. He sees this gathering of survivors and their supporters, and to him, it’s a joke. He sees feminazis. He sees girls who are taking “a bit of fun” too seriously. And what does he do? He exposes himself to this group of survivors and supporters - some of whom are, in fact, underage.
He sexually harasses literally hundreds of women in one act. Aside from public indecency, there was cruel intent in his actions. He wanted to make them uncomfortable. He wanted to “put them in their place.” Other photos from this event show him flipping the protesters off and laughing at their anger.

And there are still people defending his actions. There are those who still feel like these women were asking for itand that they deserved to be harassed for trying to claim they weren’t. There are those who feel that women should be taught a lesson this way, and they applaud this man’s actions.

So no, he didn’t pull out his dick in front of feminist protesters. He harassed dozens - if not hundreds - of rape survivors. The reaction to his actions alone outline the purpose of the Slut Walk.

For those of you still doubting whether what he did was wrong (and I do wonder if there’s something wrong with you, if you have doubts), let me give you an analogous situation. Imagine a gathering of black civil rights activists. Imagine Martin Luther King Jr., Malcolm X, Rosa Parks, and all their colleagues gathered together to demonstrate that being black did not make them lesser people. That being black and living in the South did not mean they were “asking” to be the target of hate crimes.

And at this gathering, a white man decides he should teach them a lesson by pointedly hanging a noose from the nearest tree and laughing at their anger. And other white men, laughing along with him, commend him for taking these activists down a peg.

That’s what happened here. It’s not an “OMG, I can’t believe he did that!” moment. It’s an “OMG, there are people who think this is okay” moment. And the fact is, it’s not. It never will be. And that’s the take home message of this ridiculous rant I’ve written up"

(Sorry that the message is so long, I'd have cut it down but I think pretty much all of it is worth reading and I didn't really want to paraphrase since it's not something I wrote)

Or the guy is a survivor of women like this: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2204712/Woman-falsely-claimed-raped-men-regretted-having-sex-jailed-years.html

And there is absolutely no way of substantiating the bolded bit.

IMO slutwalk makes men feel quite threatened. They think that women like the article above or other women to a lesser extent will hide behind the slutwalk mantra while actually doing something nasty. Yeah, gender bias thinking, and I don't particularly think like that, but from the feminist bloggers there is a lot of 'they should all understand and agree with slutwalks best intentions or they are all misogynists' and not much actual 'is this the best way to get guys/society to change their perceptions'.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by bottled
The daily mail article survey was slightly flawed as partially blaming someone and completely blaming someone is two different things. Saying that you shouldn't drink too much and wear overly revealing clothing in combination isn't victim blaming, it's called telling someone to take precautions.

me saying it's her fault for getting raped, because she drank that much and walked around the place topless would be me victim blaming. those are two different views.

further more all these things do is perpetuate the stereotype that only men do the majority of the raping in these areas despite the fact that most studies do not take forced envelopment as a form of rape in the uk as of course the law doesn't either and most studies i've seen are flawed due to that.

No, it is victim blaming whether you are partly blaming the victim or fully blaming the victim. The victim has absolutely nothing to do with his or her rape. You can be sober and get raped. You can be conservatively dressed and get raped. You are more likely to be raped by someone you live with than on a drunken night out, so perpetuating the myth that women should say in and cover up is at best pointless, and at worst oppressive.
Reply 45
Original post by ArtGoblin
No, it is victim blaming whether you are partly blaming the victim or fully blaming the victim. The victim has absolutely nothing to do with his or her rape. You can be sober and get raped. You can be conservatively dressed and get raped. You are more likely to be raped by someone you live with than on a drunken night out, so perpetuating the myth that women should say in and cover up is at best pointless, and at worst oppressive.

no, making yourself extremely drunk makes you more of an easy target, and more likely to be targetted.
an analogy being let's say, a person who's walking outside, drunk with a pair of dre beat headphones over his ears and holding his iphone 5s in one hand is more likely to be mugged than a sober person doing the same because you're more vulnerable when drunk.

Original post by qwerty7
Had I had been there I probably would have reacted violently too, yes I still think that it is a threatening act even if the chance of being personally attacked is slim because you are in a crowd. As a victim of sexual assault I do find it difficult to explain, so I'm totally fine with not being understood because I don't think I'm coming across as eloquent as I'd like to be, but had I been in the crowd I would have been both angry and yes I would have felt threatened.

I understand how you would feel and the anger you would have towards a jerkwad like that man, but justifying the (presumably dragging down of a man) to be assaulted by a crowd for A: revealing himself which is frequent in slutwalks and B) assaulting him and possibly causing permanent damage in this scenario isn't really acceptable. Hell if you wanna call him all the names you want then so be it, but rise above it because it's just gonna make the people crowd of people advancing upon a man who was doing something gthat most other people in that crowd were doing look like hypocrites, and make them less trustworthy
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 46
Original post by electriic_ink
No, they're feminists. And those of them that have been raped are not rape "survivors" - they're rape victims. Rape is not an intrinsically life threatening act.

It's a deliberate word replacement. It is considered more empowering to consider oneself a survivor of something than a victim of it. The general idea is that the man/woman in question is rising above what happened, and it's harder to do that with the negative label of "victim" hanging over one's head. I think it's quite a modest concession to make, all things considered.

Besides which, the word "survivor" is nowadays used in many different scenarios. A reality TV show might talk about contestant "surviving eviction", for example.

As regards how many rape victims were present, I am not sure why it is important to the argument. The likelihood is that some women there were rape victims, so it was (at best) grossly insensitive and ignorant for the man to do what he did. He may disagree with the protest (and I must confess that I'm not keen on the slogan "tell men not to rape" as I think it's pretty offensive), but what an appalling way to demonstrate it.

As an aside, I don't think many men grasp how threatening male exposure can be to women, even those who have never suffered sexual assault of any kind.
Reply 47
1-There's a lot of double standards in society that are the result of the socially assigned difference between men and women. Although again, context is key. I think if a man and a woman were alone in a street and the woman exposed herself in front of him, it would be perceived as threatening. However, women are taught to fear rape throughout their whole lives so if a man exposed himself in front of her, of course she is going to be scared of him. In addition to this, men are generally stronger than women so she has less chance of getting away if he was to attack her.

2-Come on, men aren't attracted to every pair of breasts/vagina they see. The woman could be someone they find very unattractive and I'm sure no-one wants to see body parts of people they don't find attractive.

1- It wouldn't. It would be seen as a very open sexual advance which would either be positively answered or just ignored. But I can tell you that it would not be seen as threatening at all.

2- If the woman is attractive: sexual arousal
If the woman is not attractive: either, she would be laughed at and then dismissed or she would be laughed at, taken a picture/video off and upload to the Internet or/and shown to peers.

As I said, it is a case of feminine perception of the body. Whatever the nature of these contexts, it will always be detrimental/threatening to her.
We men embrace the boobs and pussy

Why can't you women embrace the dick!
Reply 49
No, it is victim blaming whether you are partly blaming the victim or fully blaming the victim. The victim has absolutely nothing to do with his or her rape.
This is just not true. It's denial.

A woman can have something to do with her rape without it being even remotely her "fault", but that does not mean her actions never contribute to the likelihood of rape occurring.
Reply 50
Original post by qwerty7
Just thought I'd repost what someone else has written on a blog about the story, it provides some context on what happened and why there was such an outcry about the man's actions.

"This occurred at a Slut Walk. For those not familiar with it, the Slut Walk is basically a peaceful protest seeking to eliminate the rape apologism so prevalent in society. The basis is that no woman is “asking for it,” with “it” being rape. It’s not a feminist protest; it’s a human rights protest.
Many of the protesters, as you can probably imagine, have dealt with sexual harassment or rape in their own lives. Many of them have structured their daily activities to avoid being raped. The gathering is supposed to be a place for them to feel empowered and able to recover in the company of those who understand what they’ve been through or who will not blame them.

Nobody at a Slut Walk will tell a survivor that it’s her fault. They will not ask what she was wearing to provoke her attacker. Nobody will say she had too much to drink. Nobody will tell the men in the group that they are inherently rapists themselves, and nobody will tell a male survivor that his experience “wasn’t really rape.”

Then, this fellow comes along. He sees this gathering of survivors and their supporters, and to him, it’s a joke. He sees feminazis. He sees girls who are taking “a bit of fun” too seriously. And what does he do? He exposes himself to this group of survivors and supporters - some of whom are, in fact, underage.
He sexually harasses literally hundreds of women in one act. Aside from public indecency, there was cruel intent in his actions. He wanted to make them uncomfortable. He wanted to “put them in their place.” Other photos from this event show him flipping the protesters off and laughing at their anger.

And there are still people defending his actions. There are those who still feel like these women were asking for itand that they deserved to be harassed for trying to claim they weren’t. There are those who feel that women should be taught a lesson this way, and they applaud this man’s actions.

So no, he didn’t pull out his dick in front of feminist protesters. He harassed dozens - if not hundreds - of rape survivors. The reaction to his actions alone outline the purpose of the Slut Walk.

For those of you still doubting whether what he did was wrong (and I do wonder if there’s something wrong with you, if you have doubts), let me give you an analogous situation. Imagine a gathering of black civil rights activists. Imagine Martin Luther King Jr., Malcolm X, Rosa Parks, and all their colleagues gathered together to demonstrate that being black did not make them lesser people. That being black and living in the South did not mean they were “asking” to be the target of hate crimes.

And at this gathering, a white man decides he should teach them a lesson by pointedly hanging a noose from the nearest tree and laughing at their anger. And other white men, laughing along with him, commend him for taking these activists down a peg.

That’s what happened here. It’s not an “OMG, I can’t believe he did that!” moment. It’s an “OMG, there are people who think this is okay” moment. And the fact is, it’s not. It never will be. And that’s the take home message of this ridiculous rant I’ve written up"

(Sorry that the message is so long, I'd have cut it down but I think pretty much all of it is worth reading and I didn't really want to paraphrase since it's not something I wrote)

Excellent post. When people use race as a comparative point, they usually f**k up, but this is well-written and proportionate.
Reply 51
hahahha!!! wat a legend !
Original post by Redolent
This is just not true. It's denial.

A woman can have something to do with her rape without it being even remotely her "fault", but that does not mean her actions never contribute to the likelihood of rape occurring.

Absolutely. Those women on that Slutwalk know full well to take precautions against crimes against them or their property, whether it's burglary, mugging, assault or worse.

Being Brazil, you can perfectly well advise someone not to go walking into those favelas (slums) at night (or indeed during the day) and I'm sure they will heed that advice, and probably will certainly be aware of the potential consequences if they do.

If you go walking into such an area known for crime alone and late at night and become a victim of crime, are you responsible for the actions of the criminal? Almost certainly not. Does it excuse the criminal? Certainly not.

But it doesn't change the fact that you probably neglected your own safety by behaving as you did.

To say that a woman could possibly even slightly have neglected her own safety when she was raped is fast becoming a case of the Emperor's New Clothes
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 53
oh here's a nice quote
someone i forgot
Why should a man feel comfortable in a female dominated protest where the majority of those involved don’t realize they could just as easily fit any male victim’s profile for a rapist? Why should a man feel comfortable in a protest that is for women’s voice and experiences rather than for the experiences of all rape victims? You really think women, especially feminists, would put up with generalizations like the ones aimed at men if the situation were reversed with women as the targets?
Reply 54
There's a lot of double standards in society that are the result of the socially assigned difference between men and women. Although again, context is key. I think if a man and a woman were alone in a street and the woman exposed herself in front of him, it would be perceived as threatening. However, women are taught to fear rape throughout their whole lives so if a man exposed himself in front of her, of course she is going to be scared of him. In addition to this, men are generally stronger than women so she has less chance of getting away if he was to attack her.

Come on, men aren't attracted to every pair of breasts/vagina they see. The woman could be someone they find very unattractive and I'm sure no-one wants to see body parts of people they don't find attractive.

I feel it's fairly clear you have no understanding of the male mind.
Solution: brown paper bag.
(edited 11 years ago)
hahahahahaha I love it when people get offended
Original post by from rush hour with love
:rofl::rofl:
Legendary stuff. Gotta love anyone who trolls these whining bitches.

LOOK HOW RUSTLED THEIR JIMMIES ARE! :teeth:

Thankyou OP - laughing is good for the heart, and you've given me such a hearty laugh tonight.
I enjoyed that tremendously. Such a successful troll.

Original post by Friar Chris
LOOK HOW RUSTLED THEIR JIMMIES ARE! :teeth:

Rep for extending my mirth.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by TimmonaPortella
I enjoyed that tremendously. Such a successful troll.

Rep for extending my mirth.

What sprang immediately to mind:

(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by jethacan
Not saying the man wasn't in the wrong but it's just a penis, not that big of a deal. I see other mens penises all the time (no homo).

i see mens penuses as well, but in my mouth(no homo)

Latest