The Student Room Group

Is anyone else in total awe of medical students and doctors?

I'm in complete awe of medical students and doctors. I find it amazing how they managed to actually get in beating hundreds of thousands of competitors and pass presumably difficult exams whilst in medical school. Wow :sigh:
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

If you're going to neg at least give a reason...wimps.
Reply 2
No. Why?
Original post by Valentas
No. Why?

It just seems impossible to get into medicine so I'm amazed how they do it.
Not really. Academically, there are more difficult courses to get in for; with more stringent entry requirements and similarly competitive numbers.

Of course, I admire their willingness to help people above all else but as ELoades points out, a nursing degree is equally respectable in that regard.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Farhan.Hanif93
Not really. Academically, there are more difficult courses to get in for.

sure, you're going to give us an example?
Reply 6
Since the Shipman business i have not been so enthralled by the medical profession
Original post by panda1093

Just look at his sig :p:

With or without the bias, anything that requires STEP.
Reply 9
Yeah, I am...
Most people on the standard course have to get 3 or 4 A grades, from 2 or 3 from Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Maths or Further Maths!
The competition (from what i've heard, is one of the highest for degrees in the UK?)
That's just the academic side, most will have loads of experience and extra curricular activities aswel...
PLUS they have to study for another 5-6 years at university!
Reply 10
Original post by PsychiatristToBe
It just seems impossible to get into medicine so I'm amazed how they do it.

About 6-7000 people a year get into UK med schools alone (I'm sure UCAS has the exact stats). It's hard, but quite clearly not impossible.

many things! anything at oxbridge, even things like physics, chemistry, maths, english have A*AA requirements at some universities. getting into medicine isnt about academics! its about the person as a whole, work experience, your reasons for medicine and then academics aswell, but less on academics than alot of courses. AAA is the standard grades needed, higher are needed for different courses so isnt the hardest academically.
Reply 12

he's probably right though.

The reason why medicine is so difficult to get into, isn't really because of grades. There are plenty of other courses like Physics, Maths etc. at top universities like Imperial, Oxbridge, that you pretty much need to have A*s in Maths to get in for example.

The typical medicine offer is AAA, with only oxbridge sometimes surpassing this with A*AA.

What makes medicine difficult to get into is the number or people you're up against, and the numerous hurdles you need to jump through. Just 6 or 7 years ago, getting a place to study medicine was not as hard as it is now, just ask any students of 2005 entry. It was more about getting the grades, AAB perhaps, some work experience anywhere sensible'd do, and being able to demonstrate leadership in interview. There also weren't so many people applying.

But then if you compare that to, I dunno, Economics at LSE, Oxbridge, UCL etc. The grades required might be A*AA. Same with Physics, Maths, A* in Maths, A in further, A* in Physics for example. Chemistry, PPE and the list continues.

It doesn't mean that medicine is impossible to get into. But it does mean that you need to be realistic, and decide whether it's worth the effort.
(edited 11 years ago)
I can't say I am really. So they got into univeristy, and?
I admire their willingness to help people above all else.

Let's be honest, your average medical student would rather obtain the prestigious title of "Doctor" and the salary, rather than to help people. Otherwise what's wrong with a nursing degree?
Not really. Academically, there are more difficult courses to get in for; with more stringent entry requirements and similarly competitive numbers.

Of course, I admire their willingness to help people above all else.

I agree with Farhan. Although med/vet med/dentistry are uber competitive, there are equally and more difficult courses with higher competition ratios and more stringent academic conditions. But, I'd say that med/vet med/dentistry place the most weight on work experience (with the exception of Oxbridge med) than any other course - this is coming from someone who has little knowledge of the EC conditions of other courses and is purely based on anecdote of friends who went off to study things like Allied Health Profession degrees and other subjects like the humanities and sciences. So, my information may be biased.

No one in my year applied to maths anywhere now that I think about it. :tongue:

Original post by Genocidal
I can't say I am really. So they got into univeristy, and?

Yeah. We're not any smarter than your average bear.

Original post by Eloades11
Let's be honest, your average medical student would rather obtain the prestigious title of "Doctor" and the salary, rather than to help people. Otherwise what's wrong with a nursing degree?

Whoever negged Eloades is wrong. Maybe not AVERAGE medical student, but there are definitely a lot of prestige/salary people. There are other weird reasons to be here, too. A good few people in my year don't even know if they want to be doctors, me included. Sure, most of us do have a desire to help people, but there are other factors that contribute to the decision far more than "helping people."
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Eloades11

Fair point.
Nope. I have respect for medical professionals sure, but certainly not awe. As for medical students? God no! aha :p: They're no different from other students, go to one of their socials and see for yourself
(edited 11 years ago)
Really, no. But then I know quite a few people who went to Oxford, and I believe a set amount of their courses are both more difficult (their first year is worse, but their 3rd year is really easy) and not significantly more difficult to get in for.

I think most of them do it for that though.
Reply 19
Not at all. Its prestige is entirely on the basis that many people want to be a doctor, and its a very self centered career path.

Plus many doctors are pretty bloody useless.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending