University of Bristol
Bristol

Scroll to see replies

Anyone know much about Winkworth House?
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Original post by Origami Bullets
There's even a society for all you northern types :tongue: http://www.ubu.org.uk/activities/societies/NorthernSoc/

Woohoo! Pie lock ins?! As in, having a set activity for eating pies?! I'm in :smile:

Original post by lilmisssunshine13
yeah i'm definitely joining that :biggrin:

no, of course not :tongue: whenever I say to anyone that i'm going to university in Bristol, they tut and say 'oh, that's such a long way away' - ie. why would you ever want to leave Yorkshire, you crazy girl?!

Yes! It's exactly the same here - everyone of sixth-form age is expected to aspire to go to Lancaster Uni (I live in Cumbria) for the sole purpose of staying close to home!
Original post by La Papillon
Woohoo! Pie lock ins?! As in, having a set activity for eating pies?! I'm in :smile:

Best pies in Bristol can be found at Pieminister - they have cafes on Stokes Croft and in St Nick's Market.

I miss Pieminister :frown: (I don't live in Brizzle any more)
Best pies in Bristol can be found at Pieminister - they have cafes on Stokes Croft and in St Nick's Market.

I miss Pieminister :frown: (I don't live in Brizzle any more)

I'll make sure to go there! :biggrin:

Yes! It's exactly the same here - everyone of sixth-form age is expected to aspire to go to Lancaster Uni (I live in Cumbria) for the sole purpose of staying close to home!

Ah, but the reverse applies too.... lots of people in the South who go North are considered to have emigrated!

:smile:
Original post by catoswyn
Ah, but the reverse applies too.... lots of people in the South who go North are considered to have emigrated!

I don't much understand the great North-South divide when our country is so little! :rolleyes:
I don't much understand the great North-South divide when our country is so little! :rolleyes:

Honestly, the biggest divide is that northerners think it's a big issue and southerners don't (I say this as a southerner living up north with northern and southern housemates)
Honestly, the biggest divide is that northerners think it's a big issue and southerners don't (I say this as a southerner living up north with northern and southern housemates)

Mmm... I think it's because most Northerners are less likely to wander from normality and therefore experience other places :tongue: it's the case where I live anyway :frown:
Just seen the northern questions, thought I'd weigh in :P

I'm from Wigan so I feel I know a good pie when I eat one. Pies in Bristol are like unicorns - although I haven't made the trek to Pieminister, although I don't want to go all the way to Stokes Croft and be disappointed :frown:

My journey is 3.5 - 4 hours depending on whether I make a change at Birmingham or I go to Manchester Piccadilly, so I feel your pain. North easties tend to catch a plane from Newcastle to Bristol since it's about £50 for a return - my train is £52 so I'm quite jealous on that :frown: (Although if get an advance single I can get the journey from Manc to Bristol to about £17). Make sure you get a railcard.
Original post by SpringNicht
Just seen the northern questions, thought I'd weigh in :P

I'm from Wigan so I feel I know a good pie when I eat one. Pies in Bristol are like unicorns - although I haven't made the trek to Pieminister, although I don't want to go all the way to Stokes Croft and be disappointed :frown:

There's one in the Covered Arcade in St Nick's Market, which is pretty much on the way into town anyway. The Stokes Croft one is at the Bearpit end of the road, so it's not far if you're going to Primark.

And I promise you you won't be disappointed :biggrin:

I just think it's a bit of a joke, I've never seen anyone actually take it seriously. My friend has "bullied" me for being Northern and at college my entire politics class "bullied" this guy for being Southern (and for supporting the Conservatives, but shh)!

I know, it is weird. Might be something to do with our roads and transport systems... it takes a long time to get to places which are actually not that far away really.

Reply 192
Can anyone give me any information on the Langford House? I'm going to be studying on the Global Wildlife Health and Conservation MSc in September and I'm wondering if that's the best accommodation to apply to since my classes will be there. I'm an international student so I'm unfamiliar with that entire area. I was really hoping to live in Woodland or Deans court but would that be too far/expensive to go every day?
Original post by lyss
Can anyone give me any information on the Langford House? I'm going to be studying on the Global Wildlife Health and Conservation MSc in September and I'm wondering if that's the best accommodation to apply to since my classes will be there. I'm an international student so I'm unfamiliar with that entire area. I was really hoping to live in Woodland or Deans court but would that be too far/expensive to go every day?

I think vets get placed there in their later years because they work there. However, if you haven't been told explicitly to be there, are you sure that all your classes are there? Langford is quite far from the rest of the precinct, so if you don't need to be there, you should apply for somewhere in the precinct. It would probably be rather expensive and definitely time-consuming to go every day.
Reply 194
Original post by lyss

I second previous posters saying that you need to check with your department whether you'll be based at Langford. If you are, you'll definitely want to get a place there - its not practical to commute from Bristol every day. Likewise, if you're not - don't live there!!

A word on your coursemates' accomodation - I would guess that most people won't be living in halls in your course - that's my experience of doing a masters here - I don't know anyone in halls.
Reply 195
Hi! I was just wondering whether any bristol students (particularly geographers!) could tell me whether they enjoyed their uni experience, only I keep seeing poor student satisfaction figures in the press :/ also do a lot of students get involved in societies, or just tend to go out with friends in their free time? Thanks!
Original post by Rachy22
Hi! I was just wondering whether any bristol students (particularly geographers!) could tell me whether they enjoyed their uni experience, only I keep seeing poor student satisfaction figures in the press :/ also do a lot of students get involved in societies, or just tend to go out with friends in their free time? Thanks!

Hi, the geographers I've talked to seem to have enjoyed their time here, though I can't tell you much else than that. As for societies vs. going out, some people do both, some people do one or the other, there are all kinds.
Original post by __Student__
Is Bristol anywhere as Good as Cambridge

Oh it's vastly superior. Our students know how 'to partay'. Whilst not human calculators, Bristol students are far more likely to be better 'team players'. Some companies actually choose applicants from Bristol before Cambridge.

Original post by lavii
This is regarding accommodation, and is really important!
Up until now, I was sure I wanted self-catered in Clifton, and managed to narrow down my choices to The Hawthorns and Manor Hall. I spoke to my father about it and he thought catered might be a better choice. Since none of us knows anything about the UK, we emailed my aunt (who lives in Austria, but that's the closest a relative to the UK I've got). She thinks self-catered would be good if I had a lot of time, but even then I would end up cooking something simple/ light and compromise on nutrition. Also because it will be really cold (20 degrees is really cold to me), it would be better to have at least two warm and healthy meals taken care of for the first year, while I get adjusted to everything.
So now, we are down to Churchill and CHH. What I need from you wonderful people:

1. Your opinion on the self-catered v/s catered debate.
2. I chose Churhill because it has 96 places for 133/week, which is the cheapest. Are these rooms really tiny/ lacking in some way? Also, CHH because it has 6 places for 129/week. I just don't see the point in spending extortionate amounts on catered accommodation.
3. The trek into town from Churchill - I hate to exercise, Bristol is apparently hilly, it will inevitably be raining/ windy on any given day. Although, I quite enjoy walking. I just don't want to be out of breath by the time I reach! Will it be too much?
4. The rah/posh reputation - While I know that there will be a mix of students in every hall, I don't even know what posh people are or how they behave. Since I'm an international student, I would hate to be uncomfortable in my own accommodation and not make any friends.
5. The food - Really, is it too bland for an Indian tongue? Will I end up spending more than I would in self-catered?

Note: I cannot cook, apart from eggs, pasta, sandwiches, rice and all sorts of instant foods.

I am sorry this is so long and I know everybody is in the middle of exams, but I would appreciate an honest reply so much! Particularly if I will be comfortable in a hall like Churchill. Thank you!

I believe that those rooms you have found in Churchill may be best described as 'shoe boxes'. Considering your point about disliking exercise etc, then I doubt Churchill would be ideal for you. CHH is meant to be a good all-rounded hall which I imagine you'd probably prefer.
Reply 198
I believe that those rooms you have found in Churchill may be best described as 'shoe boxes'. Considering your point about disliking exercise etc, then I doubt Churchill would be ideal for you. CHH is meant to be a good all-rounded hall which I imagine you'd probably prefer.

Eek, better not put down the cheaper rooms in Churchill, then. Thank you for replying before I applied :smile:
Reply 199
How good is the careers service at Bristol? I'm going there as a postgrad this sept and would love to find relevant work during my study and then obviously a good job after

Latest

Trending

Trending