The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Scroll to see replies

Those aren't the only options. I'm at Goldney hall, for example - a lot of the halls are much nearer to the precinct and have a huge community atmosphere, like Goldney.
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Hi everyone :smile:
I've put Bristol as my firm choice, so I'm trying to choose accommodation, but I don't know if catered or self-catered will be best. I'm just wondering if I'll actually get my money's worth with catered, since I'm not sure if I'll always be able to fit mealtimes into my schedule, so I don't want to end up paying for a load of meals I don't eat. On the other hand I don't want to go for self-catered and find that I don't have time to feed myself properly! Would be great to get some advice on this. I know its a really basic thing to be unsure about so sorry if its a silly question :biggrin:
And finally, I've read a lot about Stoke Bishop's location not actually being to bad, despite the distance from town, is this true?
Thanks in advance :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
This question has probably been asked and answered before but I can't be bothered to trawl through 40 pages..
Is making friends at Bristol harder because it's a city university instead of a campus? I'm trying to decide between Bristol and Exeter, I'm quite shy and find it difficult talking to new people sometimes so it's a big deal for me. On the other hand the music scene and the city of Bristol in general appeals more to me than Exeter...
Not in the slightest. The fact that it's a city university only means it's much easier to use the services not provided by the uni - clubs, shops, attractions - and for people outside the uni to use them. With freshers week (where you should talk to absolutely everyone seriously just make more friends keep talking to them say hi to the person to your left talk with them talk with them), the numerous societies, halls, tutorial groups, and if you're on a less populated course, small lectures, you'll be able to make friends with total ease.
Just remember, and everyone says this, and everyone says that they understand - literally everyone around you is just as nervous, if not more. You might not like them, they might not like you, but just keep talking to strangers during the first couple of weeks. And be sure to talk to them afterwards.
And one more thing - because the uni is integrated a lot into the city (pretty much everything is trying to sell to students, and rightly so) you can expect to make more friends with people that just live in the city and aren't current students (though Bristol has one highest local alumnus populations in the country) than you would at a campus. It's better this way.
I visited the uni today for an interview and looked round some of the stoke bishop accommodation afterwards. I fell in love with self catered hiatt baker, everyone seemed so friendly and the flats were so nice (I did quite like badock too). However I've heard hiatt baker self catered isn't very sociable and I'm a pretty sociable person who likes going out and stuff. Can anyone clarify if this is true and if catered is a lot more social than self catered?
When does accommodation become available for booking?
Original post by PirateEmily
When does accommodation become available for booking?

1st June
Original post by JMJ_1996
I visited the uni today for an interview and looked round some of the stoke bishop accommodation afterwards. I fell in love with self catered hiatt baker, everyone seemed so friendly and the flats were so nice (I did quite like badock too). However I've heard hiatt baker self catered isn't very sociable and I'm a pretty sociable person who likes going out and stuff. Can anyone clarify if this is true and if catered is a lot more social than self catered?

Short answer, I'd consider catered more social because of the fact you end up kind of knocking on doors and going down to dinner with the whole hall. It's another excuse to interact with everyone every day, twice a day. Doesn't mean self-catered is unsociable, people just find catered means its easier to make friends outside of their block/unit in the hall..

As a tip, I was in Badock and had close friends in HB catered (self-catered was being built at the time). Badock bar is the best bar in Stoke Bishop, the one thats busy every night and people from other halls go to it because its the best. I'd really recommend you to seriously consider Badock as your first choice if you're a very social person who likes to go out a lot.
Original post by Jewagent
Not in the slightest. The fact that it's a city university only means it's much easier to use the services not provided by the uni - clubs, shops, attractions - and for people outside the uni to use them. With freshers week (where you should talk to absolutely everyone seriously just make more friends keep talking to them say hi to the person to your left talk with them talk with them), the numerous societies, halls, tutorial groups, and if you're on a less populated course, small lectures, you'll be able to make friends with total ease.
Just remember, and everyone says this, and everyone says that they understand - literally everyone around you is just as nervous, if not more. You might not like them, they might not like you, but just keep talking to strangers during the first couple of weeks. And be sure to talk to them afterwards.
And one more thing - because the uni is integrated a lot into the city (pretty much everything is trying to sell to students, and rightly so) you can expect to make more friends with people that just live in the city and aren't current students (though Bristol has one highest local alumnus populations in the country) than you would at a campus. It's better this way.

Thanks - that's really good to know :smile:
Original post by lou_100
Short answer, I'd consider catered more social because of the fact you end up kind of knocking on doors and going down to dinner with the whole hall. It's another excuse to interact with everyone every day, twice a day. Doesn't mean self-catered is unsociable, people just find catered means its easier to make friends outside of their block/unit in the hall..

As a tip, I was in Badock and had close friends in HB catered (self-catered was being built at the time). Badock bar is the best bar in Stoke Bishop, the one thats busy every night and people from other halls go to it because its the best. I'd really recommend you to seriously consider Badock as your first choice if you're a very social person who likes to go out a lot.

I did like badock but I'm a vegetarian and pretty fussy and apparently the good is crap. I also have a long course and think id miss meal times sometimes so I'm not sure catered is for me. However if I wouldn't be happy in HB self catered and people aren't social I would be happy to go to badock. I looked round a flat in hiatt baker and the kitchen was massive and there were 10 rooms so I thought it would most likely be more sociable. The lady also said she matches you with like minded people did you find this?
Hi everyone!
I am most probably going to firm Bristol Uni for Law.
I was wondering which halls are the closest to the Wills Memorial Building and the Victoria something Building (forgot the name!) as I will be probably spending my time in there the most.
I am a bit fussy and would really want an ensuite room which is self-catered.
Does anyone who is living or has lived in Bristol recommend any accomodation halls that are suitable?
Also is there some diversity in terms of backgrounds etc? Its just that I was looking at the Student Union website and realised there is no Indian Society!
Much appreciated!
Original post by simran_x
Hi everyone!
I am most probably going to firm Bristol Uni for Law.
I was wondering which halls are the closest to the Wills Memorial Building and the Victoria something Building (forgot the name!) as I will be probably spending my time in there the most.
I am a bit fussy and would really want an ensuite room which is self-catered.
Does anyone who is living or has lived in Bristol recommend any accomodation halls that are suitable?
Also is there some diversity in terms of backgrounds etc? Its just that I was looking at the Student Union website and realised there is no Indian Society!
Much appreciated!

I'm not a current student but I'm hoping to firm and visited yesterday. It's so culturally diverse with a real mix of lots of different cultures which personally I found really nice
I'm not a current student but I'm hoping to firm and visited yesterday. It's so culturally diverse with a real mix of lots of different cultures which personally I found really nice

The closest self catered hall to the Wills building and the Victoria Rooms is 'The Hawthorns' (perfect location / self catered), but it is very oversubscribed so you may not get your first choice. Perhaps you could put a second choice that is not oversubscribed just in case? A lot of people end up in second choice accommodation.
Original post by LRT12
The closest self catered hall to the Wills building and the Victoria Rooms is 'The Hawthorns' (perfect location / self catered), but it is very oversubscribed so you may not get your first choice. Perhaps you could put a second choice that is not oversubscribed just in case? A lot of people end up in second choice accommodation.

Sorry - meant to reply to the poster above!
Original post by LRT12
Sorry - meant to reply to the poster above!

That's okay, thank you!

I have looked at the Hawthorns and would probably put that as a first choice. Thanks for your reply.
As a second choice, I have been looking at Unite House- I have looked at the pictures of this house on the bristol uni website and it is defo the best looking hall and the distance is not so bad.
I have been looking at previous posts in this thread and many have advised to avoid this hall. Why is it seen as a bad hall?
Original post by simran_x
That's okay, thank you!

I have looked at the Hawthorns and would probably put that as a first choice. Thanks for your reply.
As a second choice, I have been looking at Unite House- I have looked at the pictures of this house on the bristol uni website and it is defo the best looking hall and the distance is not so bad.
I have been looking at previous posts in this thread and many have advised to avoid this hall. Why is it seen as a bad hall?

Unite plc is a partner of the university, so if you choose this hall you will pay fees direct to Unite. Any issues have to be resolved through Unite. It has the advantage of a close location, but it is very noisy. The comparable university run accommodation is cheaper.
The registration for accommodation opens in April, is there any preference given to early applicants? Would I be likely to get my first choice?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone doing/did Chemical Physics at Bristol could you kindly PM or quote me please, thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by aspiringdoctor96
The registration for accommodation opens in April, is there any preference given to early applicants? Would I be likely to get my first choice?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I swear it opens on the first of June and it's not first come first served so makes no difference
I swear it opens on the first of June and it's not first come first served so makes no difference

Might be wrong, something I read said April but something else said June so I was a bit confused! Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending