The Student Room Group

Information Systems Officer (navy)/ hearing test

Hi guys

Firstly, i was going to go in for the army officers university corps thing- but i failed a medical- on the hearing test.

i was rather annoyed because a) the room i was sitting in having it done had the loudest air conditioning AND there was a building being built directly next door and all i could hear was a pneumatic drill.

The tests showed that one of my ears wasnt as good as the other (i cannot remember if it was the one building site-side or not). The doctor said this wasnt due to excessive music as it would be in both ears but im worried as i am interested in a naval career.

Say there wasa problem- are there operations that can be performed? Whats the worst case scenario?

secondly, i was looking about becoming an Information Systems officer.....

http://www.royal-navy.mod.uk/server/show/nav.4997

"As an Engineer (Information Systems) Officer, you will join at a more senior rank than other Officers. The standard of your degree will increase your initial seniority."

As i am going to Imperial to do Information Systems Engineering- what rank do you think i would start on/be at after 3 years of service, say if i got a 1st class honours for MSc ISE?

thanks
Reply 1
futureaussiecto
Hi guys

Firstly, i was going to go in for the army officers university corps thing- but i failed a medical- on the hearing test.

i was rather annoyed because a) the room i was sitting in having it done had the loudest air conditioning AND there was a building being built directly next door and all i could hear was a pneumatic drill.

The tests showed that one of my ears wasnt as good as the other (i cannot remember if it was the one building site-side or not). The doctor said this wasnt due to excessive music as it would be in both ears but im worried as i am interested in a naval career.

Say there wasa problem- are there operations that can be performed? Whats the worst case scenario?

secondly, i was looking about becoming an Information Systems officer.....

http://www.royal-navy.mod.uk/server/show/nav.4997

"As an Engineer (Information Systems) Officer, you will join at a more senior rank than other Officers. The standard of your degree will increase your initial seniority."

As i am going to Imperial to do Information Systems Engineering- what rank do you think i would start on/be at after 3 years of service, say if i got a 1st class honours for MSc ISE?

thanks

I bet there was nothing wrong with your hearing, the OTC reject random people and give crap reasons just because they don't like the look of you.
DPM
I bet there was nothing wrong with your hearing, the OTC reject random people and give crap reasons just because they don't like the look of you.

well i saw the cards they used to tick-off the frequencies tested at. they showed them to the doctor. but throughout the test all i could hear was hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm from the other noises.

are there any standard tests my doctor could arrange? Anything similar to what the navy require??
As far as I know, if you weren't made to sit in a big 'fridge' and do your hearing test in there, then it wasn't the normal standard of hearing test, certainly not RAF hearing tests. I can't imagine that the fridge is an aircrew only thing.

Won't make a difference for OTC recruitment, they didn't want you, but it may mean that the results in any formal medical could be different - depends how deaf you are!

You could see a Doc and get a hearing test, if you found out what the RN standards are. But it wouldn't do much good, the final arbiter of all these things is the Service MO.
Reply 4
You can request a hearing test from your GP and he will be able to find out if it is good enough for the armed forces. A lot of medicals are carried out by GP's for the Navy anyway so he should be able to obtain the pass marks!
futureaussiecto
army officers university corps thing

Don't call them officers, it only leads them to deluded visions of grandeur :wink:

futureaussiecto
Did you raise this with the person testing you? Did everyone else tested in the same conditions fail?
spunk trumpet
Don't call them officers, it only leads them to deluded visions of grandeur :wink:

Did you raise this with the person testing you? Did everyone else tested in the same conditions fail?

when i was in the room, it was a first year person carrying out the test. because i could hear lots of things i was tapping (to acknowledge) more than the amount of beeps- but i could actually hear the real beeps aswell as the noise-related pollution!

Then i told him about the noise outside and he switched my earphones for another pair???????? I was like wtf?? lol

Afterwards the doctor just checked my ears and said sorry but theres nothing i can see wrong.

I dont reallyknow if others failed too, i suppose for some the guy on the drill may have taken a break etc etc

Im not bothered about the OTC, i just am worried if there was a problem that it'll come out in another navy one in years to come.

So this naval-standard medical that i can ask my doctor for, what exactly do i ask him for?
futureaussiecto
So this naval-standard medical that i can ask my doctor for, what exactly do i ask him for?
When I was 16 and was thinking of joining up after school I just went to my GP's and told him that I thinking of applying. He just gave me a general once over, pretty much exactly the same as my medical for OTC.
Reply 8
threeportdrift
As far as I know, if you weren't made to sit in a big 'fridge' and do your hearing test in there, then it wasn't the normal standard of hearing test, certainly not RAF hearing tests. I can't imagine that the fridge is an aircrew only thing.

Won't make a difference for OTC recruitment, they didn't want you, but it may mean that the results in any formal medical could be different - depends how deaf you are!

You could see a Doc and get a hearing test, if you found out what the RN standards are. But it wouldn't do much good, the final arbiter of all these things is the Service MO.

The fridge isn't exclusive to aircrew. I have had three tests, and only once in the glass screen fridge thing. The other two times was just in the MOs room with headphones. They don't actually require you to be in the fridge, because the headphones block the interfering noise from coming in. Exact principle as with DJ'ing, block outside noise so you can foxus on what is 'in' the headphones.
djmarkmclachlan
The fridge isn't exclusive to aircrew. I have had three tests, and only once in the glass screen fridge thing. The other two times was just in the MOs room with headphones. They don't actually require you to be in the fridge, because the headphones block the interfering noise from coming in. Exact principle as with DJ'ing, block outside noise so you can foxus on what is 'in' the headphones.

haha well i could still hear the noise outside, plus the headphones made a noise like listening to inside a shell, like the sea etc etc
Reply 10
That's normal to hear the sea like sound; it's not the headphones. :wink: You also start to hear your breathing very heavily. Even if you heard the noise, was it excessively loud? It shouldn't affect your ability to hear the high pitched noises, as they do sound different afterall. :P
djmarkmclachlan
That's normal to hear the sea like sound; it's not the headphones. :wink: You also start to hear your breathing very heavily. Even if you heard the noise, was it excessively loud? It shouldn't affect your ability to hear the high pitched noises, as they do sound different afterall. :P

well i felt embarassed because the guy said i was tapping too much, which i did because a) i could hear the building noise and b) i could hear him tapping the button to make the noise lol.

he said "tap when you here the noise and not me" which then made me even more nervous
Reply 12
Haha, he caught you out! Nice try though, I've enver heard of anyone being caught doing that before.

Lol, nervous because he said that? They always say it, just to try and throw you off a little. :P
Hearing tests are done in non soundproof rooms. At Cranwell you have Dominies on finals to contend with. People can still pass it however, and those are the people they want.
It's not as though the hearing test is hard at OASC, I passed it and I don't think my hearing is great.
spunk trumpet

:mad:
Reply 16
BlackHawk
Hearing tests are done in non soundproof rooms. At Cranwell you have Dominies on finals to contend with. People can still pass it however, and those are the people they want.

I had to go into the special booth to redo my hearing test for both UAS and OASC, its great in there - if you lean forward you can see the screen on the outside of the box which lights up when the beeps are being played!
Reply 17
they gave me a second chance, i didnt pass first time and was called back in and had a second go on my own, i kept getting disracted by other people clicking and imagining beeps!
Spiral Architect
:mad:

Love you and your sister really!:suith: :suith: :suith:

Kisses

Latest