The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

missed essay deadline

I was meant to hand an assignment in on monday but didn't, i'm in my first year and it goes towards 15% of my mark for this module. How seriously do the staff at kings take missing assignments? do people get thrown out or anything?

Scroll to see replies

The rule of thumb is, once you've missed it, you've missed it. No mark.

How desperate are you to get this essay marked?
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Original post by Iamyourfather

Not sure what uni uses that policy.

My experiences.

Southampton you have 5 days any longer and it is a mark of 0 with a 10% reduction on mark for each day late.

Portsmouth the mark would be capped at the pass mark and if a week late then you would get a 0 for failing to hand it in.

Rather than ask an internet forum I would recommend checking your student handbooks and handing in the essay ASAP
Original post by Politics Student
Not sure what uni uses that policy.

My experiences.

Southampton you have 5 days any longer and it is a mark of 0 with a 10% reduction on mark for each day late.

Portsmouth the mark would be capped at the pass mark and if a week late then you would get a 0 for failing to hand it in.

Rather than ask an internet forum I would recommend checking your student handbooks and handing in the essay ASAP

How about most?

The rule of thumb is to hand it by the deadline or what would be the point of it? Students shouldn't hand in their coursework after the deadline and get full marks. It isn't fair on the students who bothered to do it on time. Unless you have extenuating circumstances you won't be awarded any marks. Even student with extenuating circumstances can get their marks capped.

It's not the departments fault that you cannot fulfill a simple task. Obviously call up your department but don't expect much.
How about most?

The rule of thumb is to hand it by the deadline or what would be the point of it?

I disagreed with the 0 mark for missing by a bit.

Students shouldn't hand in their coursework after the deadline and get full marks. It isn't fair on the students who bothered to do it on time.

Every uni has caps of some sort in place.

Unless you have extenuating circumstances you won't be awarded any marks. Even student with extenuating circumstances can get their marks capped.

The thing is people can **** up. It happens. I would be amazed if any unis have a flat 0 policy if the work is a minute late.

Ummm the entire point of extenuating circumstances is that you don't get capped. It would be extremely unfair if you happen to have an issue and end up in hospital for the day meaning you hand an essay in a day late or a week late depending on the consequences.

The reason we have the extenuating circumstances policy is so if an unexpected reason completely screws you over then you can have an extension on time to hand in or a late had in is not capped. My MSc dissertation for example got a 2 week extension due to unexpected issues with my landlord (very serious money issues) and the two week extension was given without any issues once I contacted the MSc co-ordinator with an explanation of the situation.

It's not the departments fault that you cannot fulfill a simple task. Obviously call up your department but don't expect much.

I honestly don't understand. Did you not read my post? I never said late work is not capped.

The entire point of my post was unis have different policies and I gave examples from both unis I attended. Caps are often in place with some being stricter than others.
Reply 5

No, that is not the rule of thumb ive actually never heard that. Usually they take late submissions and take marks off each day that its late, and if its late by over a week you have to re-submit and the marks are capped at 40%.

Thats what happens where i go.
Reply 6
The thing is people can **** up. It happens. I would be amazed if any unis have a flat 0 policy if the work is a minute late.

The entire point of my post was unis have different policies and I gave examples from both unis I attended. Caps are often in place with some being stricter than others.

I agree with the main thrust of what you say, but two things I found out when looking at this (because i knew Iamyourfather was talking ****e)

(1) Cambridge has a policy quite similar to that for some work, and Oxford would be quite close as well I think: http://www.cam.ac.uk/about/natscitripos/exams/late.html and http://www.ox.ac.uk/students/exams/submissions/

(2) Bradford. ****s sake. http://www.brad.ac.uk/media/AcademicQualityUnit/Documents/LTAPolicy/WhatHappensIf.pdf
Original post by Norton1
I agree with the main thrust of what you say, but two things I found out when looking at this (because i knew Iamyourfather was talking ****e)

(1) Cambridge has a policy quite similar to that for some work, and Oxford would be quite close as well I think: http://www.cam.ac.uk/about/natscitripos/exams/late.html and http://www.ox.ac.uk/students/exams/submissions/

(2) Bradford. ****s sake. http://www.brad.ac.uk/media/AcademicQualityUnit/Documents/LTAPolicy/WhatHappensIf.pdf

Haha. I know you're still but hurt by my thoughts about you. There there :console: I'm not talking not talking s****e. This happens at my university and many others.
Original post by DZJX
No, that is not the rule of thumb ive actually never heard that. Usually they take late submissions and take marks off each day that its late, and if its late by over a week you have to re-submit and the marks are capped at 40%.

Thats what happens where i go.

What? Because your uni doesn't do it it's not a rule of thumb? Do you know what a rule of thumb means?
Reply 9
Haha. I know you're still but hurt by my thoughts about you. There there :console: I'm not talking not talking s****e. This happens at my university and many others.

The heavy preponderance is probably - if we looked at every university - in policy or practice to deduct some marks for late submission.

£100 for not handing in an essay on time? **** off!
Reply 11

I think your talking rubbish aswell to be honest. They don't just say oh no 0 marks because its in late. they just penalise you for handing it in late, also did you not understand the concept that people who hand it in late are NOT awarded full marks - no one ever said they were.
I disagreed with the 0 mark for missing by a bit.

Every uni has caps of some sort in place.

Ummm the entire point of extenuating circumstances is that you don't get capped. It would be extremely unfair if you happen to have an issue and end up in hospital for the day meaning you hand an essay in a day late or a week late depending on the consequences.

The reason we have the extenuating circumstances policy is so if an unexpected reason completely screws you over then you can have an extension on time to hand in or a late had in is not capped. My MSc dissertation for example got a 2 week extension due to unexpected issues with my landlord (very serious money issues) and the two week extension was given without any issues once I contacted the MSc co-ordinator with an explanation of the situation.

I honestly don't understand. Did you not read my post? I never said late work is not capped.

Here's something that will amaze you:

http://www.essex.ac.uk/history/current_students/undergraduates/Coursework_submission.aspx

Read the coursework deadline policy.

I haven't got the energy to read all that right now. I have a 9am lecture so perhaps I'll reply tomorrow.

I did say some extenuating circumstances can be capped not all. It really depends on the circumstance. I handed mine in late due to extenuating circumstances, it was reviewed by the committee and I was rewarded my marks. Some of my friend's marks were capped because their reasons for lateness were insufficient. This isn't school, deadlines don't normally get extended/marked without a good valid reason.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Norton1

Fair points.

All I was pointing out was that it depends upon the university policy.
Here's something that will amaze you:

http://www.essex.ac.uk/history/current_students/undergraduates/Coursework_submission.aspx

Read the coursework deadline policy.

That is an impressively strict policy.

I haven't got the energy to read all that right now. I have a 9am lecture so perhaps I'll reply tomorrow.

I did say some extenuating circumstances can be capped not all. It really depends on the circumstance. I handed mine in late due to extenuating circumstances, it was reviewed by the committee and I was rewarded my marks. Some of my friend's marks were capped because their reasons for lateness were insufficient. This isn't school, deadlines don't normally get extended.

I'm sorry but if you get capped for not having sufficient reasons for the extenuating circumstances criteria then you do not get extenuating circumstances.

Extenuating circumstances by there very nature means you do not get a cap. Capping for unexpected events outside your control is simply unfair (there is of course a list of events which cannot be claimed such as ICT issues).
Original post by whyumadtho
:eek: That's ****ed up.

I also agree that the policy in that case is completely ****ed up. I wonder how much extra money the uni makes from that policy.
That is an impressively strict policy.

I'm sorry but if you get capped for not having sufficient reasons for the extenuating circumstances criteria then you do not get extenuating circumstances.

Extenuating circumstances by there very nature means you do not get a cap. Capping for unexpected events outside your control is simply unfair (there is of course a list of events which cannot be claimed such as ICT issues).

If the problem is genuine and there is sufficient proof, the marks won't get capped. I never said it did. Well that's really based on people's definition of 'extenuating circumstances'. You'll be surprised at what some think it means. Some universities don't provide a list on what they believe to be extenuating circumstances.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Norton1
The heavy preponderance is probably - if we looked at every university - in policy or practice to deduct some marks for late submission.

Is that a challenge Mr. Norton? :holmes:
Reply 19
Is that a challenge Mr. Norton? :holmes:

Whelp, as UCAS says there are:

over 300 institutions in the UCAS scheme including universities, colleges of higher education and further education colleges that offer HE courses.

and I think you'd want to look at all of them. So yes, challenge made.

Quick Reply

Latest