The Student Room Group

Question about Scottish unis , Please Help

Hi,

So I have received an offer to study Economics (L150) at Glasgow university.

The thing I'm unsure of is how the Scottish degree system works.

Is it compulasary to study 3 subjects first year and then 2 subjects second year.

If you have time have a look at the Ucas code I've chosen and I'm unsure if it's pure economics for the whole 4 years.

If so that I have to study 3 subjects first year what would you suggest ?

Cam :smile:
Reply 1
Bump
Reply 2
Bump x2 helpppp
Reply 3
I'm a graduate of the University of Glasgow. You're right in thinking that it is compulsory to study three subjects in your first year. I did Politics/Sociology/History.

I'm not sure what to suggest for you, just do what you think is the most interesting. If Economics is going to be the focus of your degree do something like Economic & Social History alongside it, with a little Politics maybe. It doesn't really matter, they're just filler courses anyway. Still have to get good grades in them though!
Reply 4
Original post by HappyFugu
I'm a graduate of the University of Glasgow. You're right in thinking that it is compulsory to study three subjects in your first year. I did Politics/Sociology/History.

I'm not sure what to suggest for you, just do what you think is the most interesting. If Economics is going to be the focus of your degree do something like Economic & Social History alongside it, with a little Politics maybe. It doesn't really matter, they're just filler courses anyway. Still have to get good grades in them though!

Do you know I will be able to choose subjects from other Facultys such as Science and Law ?

Also so what is the L150 economics course ?

All it says on the Ucas title is Economics
Reply 5
You can take some subjects from other departments but it depends. They want you to do 3 subjects, all of which could lead you to joint Honours (for example they wouldn't let me do French, Italian and a science subject, because if I failed at one of my languages I couldn't do joint honours in the other language + the science). You do need the right entry requirements too. Also popular courses, I know Psychology was one in my first year, you can only get into it if it's what you applied for on UCAS. I would imagine you probably couldn't get into Law since it will be more competitive. I'm not sure if you could do any science subject either. There's a table *somewhere* which shows Joint Honours combinations.
I would recommend choosing your 3rd subject wisely. I figured "it's first year, won't be hard anyway" and picked Central and East European studies because it sounded mildly interesting...cue trying to learn a 3000 word lecture handout 3 times a week. Careful what you pick :tongue:

Edit: Forgot to say - when you apply to Glasgow you're basically applying to the department, so by applying to Economics you're really applying to Social Sciences (or whatever department it is). So your UCAS thing saying L150 economics really just allowing you in to then choose the Level 1 Economics course which is described in the course catalogue :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by conway!
You can take some subjects from other departments but it depends. They want you to do 3 subjects, all of which could lead you to joint Honours (for example they wouldn't let me do French, Italian and a science subject, because if I failed at one of my languages I couldn't do joint honours in the other language + the science). You do need the right entry requirements too. Also popular courses, I know Psychology was one in my first year, you can only get into it if it's what you applied for on UCAS. I would imagine you probably couldn't get into Law since it will be more competitive. I'm not sure if you could do any science subject either. There's a table *somewhere* which shows Joint Honours combinations.
I would recommend choosing your 3rd subject wisely. I figured "it's first year, won't be hard anyway" and picked Central and East European studies because it sounded mildly interesting...cue trying to learn a 3000 word lecture handout 3 times a week. Careful what you pick :tongue:

Edit: Forgot to say - when you apply to Glasgow you're basically applying to the department, so by applying to Economics you're really applying to Social Sciences (or whatever department it is). So your UCAS thing saying L150 economics really just allowing you in to then choose the Level 1 Economics course which is described in the course catalogue :smile:

Thanks for the reply

Wow that sounds horrible especially in something you thought was easy haha !
So this is something completely new to me , I really just wanted to do a pure economics degree ... I think on the website it said you can do a single honours instead of a joint honours so would I still be able to do a science and economics ?
Also if not because of the whole joint honours thing could I do for example - ' economics , another social science and then a classic science because I still want too do a single honours ?

Cheers cam
Reply 7
Original post by CameronLee
Thanks for the reply

Wow that sounds horrible especially in something you thought was easy haha !
So this is something completely new to me , I really just wanted to do a pure economics degree ... I think on the website it said you can do a single honours instead of a joint honours so would I still be able to do a science and economics ?
Also if not because of the whole joint honours thing could I do for example - ' economics , another social science and then a classic science because I still want too do a single honours ?

Cheers cam

Whether or not you're doing single or joint Honours, you need 3 subjects in years 1 and 2 - or rather 120 credits but that tends to work out as 3 subjects.
I'm not sure about whether you could do a science if you only wanted to do Single honours. I doubt it, they probably would want you to keep your options open in case you changed your mind later on. I'd probably e-mail someone in the dept about that. I'm making them sound very inflexible, they really are good, they just want you to have options later on and not limit your choices from your very first year :smile: I wish I could find that joint honours options table, because maybe you can do Economics + a science, but I don't know.

Quick Reply

Latest