The Student Room Group

Healthy New You: Your Change For Life #3

Scroll to see replies

Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
That's not a lot at all! Probably still in a deficit! Haha when I have a "junk food day" I end up at something stupid like 4,000 calories!! :frown:. (Although when I'm using MFP I stop logging when I reach my goal lol which kind of defeats the object but never mind).

Yeah I definitely thought it would be more! Made me feel like less of a pig :tongue:

-----------

Had the rest of my tuna pasta bake and sweetcorn, with some light cheese on top and a big salad :biggrin: yummy!
Reply 3981
really need my loan to come in so I can buy some food. Getting really sick of eating the same few things constantly now
Ughhh getting really sick of this at the moment. I'm on medication for acid reflux at the moment but it hasn't had any effect, I still have stomach pains, bloating, and I feel sick when I eat or when I'm getting really hungry. It's all just making this weight loss difficult, especially when I get up in the morning and my stomach is the size of a house because of all the air in it. Sorry, just needed to rant.
Reply 3983
Original post by alabelle
Ughhh getting really sick of this at the moment. I'm on medication for acid reflux at the moment but it hasn't had any effect, I still have stomach pains, bloating, and I feel sick when I eat or when I'm getting really hungry. It's all just making this weight loss difficult, especially when I get up in the morning and my stomach is the size of a house because of all the air in it. Sorry, just needed to rant.

Is it a PPI, like omeprazole? They can take a while to be fully effective; even weeks. I would persevere with it for a while else otherwise go back to your doctor.
Original post by Mark85
Is it a PPI, like omeprazole? They can take a while to be fully effective; even weeks. I would persevere with it for a while else otherwise go back to your doctor.

It's Ranitidine that I'm on right now. My sister had a similar problem but a lot worse, she tried Omeprazole after being on Ranitidine and that worked for her. I'm hanging in there til the pack I have runs out, but I've been on it for a few weeks already with only a little improvement.
Reply 3985
It's Ranitidine that I'm on right now. My sister had a similar problem but a lot worse, she tried Omeprazole after being on Ranitidine and that worked for her. I'm hanging in there til the pack I have runs out, but I've been on it for a few weeks already with only a little improvement.

Ah ok. One thing to bear in mind with those is that unless you get free scripts, it might be cheaper to just buy them OTC*.

I would tell your doctor if they don't work though, maybe he would suggest something else.

*Side rant: It annoys me when doctors don't check this - last time I needed antibiotics, the doctor asked me if I had taken any aspirin and I said no and he put them on the script without me realising. When I got to the pharmacy, I noticed when they asked me for £14 or whatever it was, I asked them to just give me the antibiotics but they said they weren't allowed to only partially fulfill a script. I could have gone back to the doctors but it was late and I was tired and ill so I had to pay £7 for a 30p product.
Original post by Mark85
Ah ok. One thing to bear in mind with those is that unless you get free scripts, it might be cheaper to just buy them OTC*.

I would tell your doctor if they don't work though, maybe he would suggest something else.

*Side rant: It annoys me when doctors don't check this - last time I needed antibiotics, the doctor asked me if I had taken any aspirin and I said no and he put them on the script without me realising. When I got to the pharmacy, I noticed when they asked me for £14 or whatever it was, I asked them to just give me the antibiotics but they said they weren't allowed to only partially fulfill a script. I could have gone back to the doctors but it was late and I was tired and ill so I had to pay £7 for a 30p product.

My Mum only needs one item that she has on repeat prescription but yet they forget to take it off every time, so she only ever gets a partial prescription. Either my pharmacist is a tad illegal or yours is a tad awkward.
Reply 3987
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
My Mum only needs one item that she has on repeat prescription but yet they forget to take it off every time, so she only ever gets a partial prescription. Either my pharmacist is a tad illegal or yours is a tad awkward.

I don't know whether this was a legal thing or just the stores policy. I couldn't think of any other places that were open and I was too worn out to argue/find somewhere else tbh.
Just went to circuits class at the gym and its sunny we did it outside instead of in the studio, was really fresh and breezy lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mark85

I'm on omeprazole for acid problems and it took nearly a week to work.

Regarding OTC prescription items a good pharmacist will tell you when it's cheaper to buy otc instead of on prescription. I got ringworm at work and the doctor wrote me a prescription for canesten and the pharmacist told me it was cheaper to buy otc and to keep the prescription for another time.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3990
Original post by SmegSlayer
I'm on omeprazole for acid problems and it took nearly a week to work.

Regarding OTC prescription items a good pharmacist will tell you when it's cheaper to buy otc instead of on prescription. I got ringworm at work and the doctor wrote me a prescription for canesten and the pharmacist told me it was cheaper to buy otc and to keep the prescription for another time.

Well, most of the time anything that is available OTC is cheaper than paying a script (can't think of a single item from the chemists over £7) but in my case, the doctor put the aspirin on the same script as antibiotics which I couldn't otherwise get without it and the shop refused to just sell me the antibiotics.
Original post by Mark85
Well, most of the time anything that is available OTC is cheaper than paying a script (can't think of a single item from the chemists over £7) but in my case, the doctor put the aspirin on the same script as antibiotics which I couldn't otherwise get without it and the shop refused to just sell me the antibiotics.

Well for ranitidine it's £1.50 for a box of 12, but they're half the dose of the prescription ones so it only worked out to last me three days :/ The pharmicist persuaded me to get the OTC ones because they were cheaper but I needed a month's supply so they actually didn't work out cheaper!

Can't believe you had to pay £7 for aspirin though, that's crazy...
Reply 3992

Can't believe you had to pay £7 for aspirin though, that's crazy...

I know. At the time, I was sick and literally drenched in sweat just from the effort of getting up and going doctors and pharmacy so I was yo drained to look after my wallet, otherwise the northerner in me would have asked the robbing bastards about their views on sex and travel.
Just talked myself down from a binge. My Mum came down the other day and bought me a load of junk food. I don't want to through it away because obviously I want to eat it, but I also know I can't eat it and still lose weight on the plan I'm doing. So really I should just chuck it all out.

I only had raspberries and a yogurt for lunch as I was running late, and so I got in ravenous. I nearly ordered Dominos but fortunately I had spag bol ready to go in the fridge so I just made myself eat that first, saying I could have a Dominos after if I still wanted it. Obviously I don't. I definitely need to start having a meal ready in the fridge in case this happens again, or make sure I have a proper lunch. I don't think I've ever beaten the binging urge, I guess there's still the whole evening to go but I'm rather proud :smile:
Original post by infairverona
Just talked myself down from a binge. My Mum came down the other day and bought me a load of junk food. I don't want to through it away because obviously I want to eat it, but I also know I can't eat it and still lose weight on the plan I'm doing. So really I should just chuck it all out.

I only had raspberries and a yogurt for lunch as I was running late, and so I got in ravenous. I nearly ordered Dominos but fortunately I had spag bol ready to go in the fridge so I just made myself eat that first, saying I could have a Dominos after if I still wanted it. Obviously I don't. I definitely need to start having a meal ready in the fridge in case this happens again, or make sure I have a proper lunch. I don't think I've ever beaten the binging urge, I guess there's still the whole evening to go but I'm rather proud :smile:

Well done on avoiding the binge :smile: the having a meal ready in the fridge is a really good idea, I should start doing that! I'm having a similar evening by the sounds of things, it's approaching that TOTM so I'm very crabby and emotional, which always drives me to eat. It's almost like every time I get like this there's a little voice saying 'you'd feel better if you ordered a takeaway tonight' or 'your uni work will be easier if you have a bag of sweets with you'. Luckily I've managed to avoid caving so far. :smile:
Bought some gym things from Sweaty Betty today, they also gave me a free membership card so I can go to their free classes in-store and their run clubs. Pretty good deal!
On another note, has anyone ever gotten a really bad headache after doing exercise? I've had one since coming back from the gym at 6-ish and it's really painful :frown:
It's just one thing after another. Was having a healthy day yesterday and ended up going to Pizza Hut with the boyf. Totally overindulged! Really need to sort my eating habits out atm, just because I maintained a few weeks ago does not mean I can continue like this. Although I have been at around 1500-1800 calories the last few days.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Scales were down to 11st on the dot this morning, which is 4lbs higher than highest weight. I'm not too worried, because in the grand scheme of things it's nothing, but I'd rather get it down a little more if possible.
Layne Norton on: the Biggest Fat Loss Mistake, Preserving Muscle, Dangers of Too Much Cardio, How to Go From Fat to Shredded, Tips for Picking a Trainer,

Really good video about the common mistakes people make. This should be a sticky. I thought you guys might find it helpful.

I lost on average 0.7lb/week and i'm now eating some where around 3,000kcal a day at 5'9.5, 11.5 stone -- eating about the same amount I used to before I started 'dieting' and my body is comfortably handling it. My weight hasn't changed in 3 months. Elliot Hulse also talks about " ****ing up your metabolism" too and I think this is a common mistake people make. Slow is always better than fast when it comes to weight loss.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest