The Student Room Group

Healthy New You: Your Change For Life #3

Scroll to see replies

Original post by .gina
I've just worked out I need to lose 47 lbs to *just* be a healthy BMI. Wish me luck guys, I'm determined to finally get this weight off once and for all! I used to be 12 stone, but went up to 15 stone when I had the contraceptive injection - whether they go hand in hand, I'm not sure, but one thing I do know is I'm not happy with my weight..

You can do it :biggrin: I have a similar amount to lose. Good luck :smile: stay determined
Reply 41
Original post by isawsparks89

Has anyone got any rewards for themselves when they get to their target? Just interested :smile:

My reward was to set new targets. Seriously, self improvement is continuous. Don't want to ever feel like I am 'done'.
Beware: underwear photo (or at least a bit of one) approaching.

This is the difference between me on 2nd Jan this year and now. Can tell the difference I think.

Spoiler

Original post by Mark85
My reward was to set new targets. Seriously, self improvement is continuous. Don't want to ever feel like I am 'done'.

Mm, that's fair enough really. I know I'm going to have to concentrate on my fitness when I'm at target otherwise I'll just go the same way again :s-smilie: So lucky really to be working (albeit not a 9-5) AND investing time in some serious weight loss.

Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
Beware: underwear photo (or at least a bit of one) approaching.

This is the difference between me on 2nd Jan this year and now. Can tell the difference I think.

Spoiler

Can definitely tell the difference, you're far more toned and streamlined! A very enviable body!!
Reply 44
Hi everyone,

I'd like to join this thread please. I have finally decided to do something about my weight.

Current stats are:
BMI: obese
Weight: 198lbs
Dress size: 18

I want to become fit and healthy. It's got to the point that by walking up a flight of stairs, I'm out of breath.

I'm in my final year at university but I'm ready to emotionally, physically and mentally sort myself out :smile:.

I am planning on having a jog in the morning and sorting my diet and sleeping pattern out. I am surrounded by hills and am going to be using them to burn some fat as I can not afford a gym membership!

I am ready to embrace this change and I'd love some support as I've never done anything like this :smile:. I've downloaded MyFitnessPal so I can keep track of my calories too.

Aims:
- to be happy within myself
- beat my food addiction
- no longer have a muffin top (that looks like I'm 4months pregnant)
- be able to complete the NHS couch challenge
- to incorporate exercise into my daily life

Thank you.
CC.

ETA: I need to lose 45lbs just to have a normal BMI.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 45
I did 10x 5 squats with my dumbbells (only 2lb ones) yesterday and omg my legs today are really painful haha - guess I haven't used those muscles much, ouch!

Original post by CC2010
Hi everyone,

I'd like to join this thread please. I have finally decided to do something about my weight.

Current stats are:
BMI: obese
Weight: 198lbs
Dress size: 18

I want to become fit and healthy. It's got to the point that by walking up a flight of stairs, I'm out of breath.

I'm in my final year at university but I'm ready to emotionally, physically and mentally sort myself out :smile:.

I am planning on having a jog in the morning and sorting my diet and sleeping pattern out. I am surrounded by hills and am going to be using them to burn some fat as I can not afford a gym membership!

I am ready to embrace this change and I'd love some support as I've never done anything like this :smile:. I've downloaded MyFitnessPal so I can keep track of my calories too.

Aims:
- to be happy within myself
- beat my food addiction
- no longer have a muffin top (that looks like I'm 4months pregnant)
- be able to complete the NHS couch challenge
- to incorporate exercise into my daily life

Thank you.
CC.

ETA: I need to lose 45lbs just to have a normal BMI.

Hey :smile: welcome! Your stats/info is a little like mine when I first started! I wish you the best of luck :smile: and remember that whenever you need help, or advice, or fitspo (we don't do thinspo lol) come to us :biggrin: xx

Original post by amizzle91
I did 10x 5 squats with my dumbbells (only 2lb ones) yesterday and omg my legs today are really painful haha - guess I haven't used those muscles much, ouch!

Well I hurt all over when I do 10 UNWEIGHTED haha so well done!
I've reached 50lb weight loss :gah: I want to cry.

Well, 52lbs (3lbs off this week). And I'm into a new stone.

41lbs to go
I've reached 50lb weight loss :gah: I want to cry.

Well, 52lbs (3lbs off this week). And I'm into a new stone.

41lbs to go

Well done you!! That's FANTASTIC! And well over half way now, so definitely on the home straight!
Well done you!! That's FANTASTIC! And well over half way now, so definitely on the home straight!

Thank you :colondollar: onward and upward (I hope)

Well over halfway, indeed. I am just...:eek2: Haven't weighed this since I was about 14 or so. People who I met at uni have never seen me this light...emotions are all over the place.
Thank you :colondollar: onward and upward (I hope)

Well over halfway, indeed. I am just...:eek2: Haven't weighed this since I was about 14 or so. People who I met at uni have never seen me this light...emotions are all over the place.

Definitely upward :smile: You know you can do it now. You've found what works for you, and there's no need to stop :smile:. Emotions are bound to be everywhere when you're managing to change your life in this way, but remember it's all good and you should be proud! Not many people have the self control to be able to lose that much weight in one go :smile:.
Haven't posted all weekend, oops. Haven't overeaten really but I haven't been eating the best food as I've been at my boyfriends. Drank too much wine on Saturday

my goal for this thread: get under 11 stone :biggrin:
Well guys, I keep logging on and seeing everyone else post their goals, but not wanting to post any of my own.
Although I've been at this (up and down, through some of it) for a long time now, I have never set myself a specific target. I just know I need to lose fat. I've been afraid that having a specific goal means that I may not get it, and so will fail.
I'm changing this. I need to have proper goals so that I know if I'm not hitting my targets and when I need to work harder.
Weight when weight-loss began (first time I weighed myself): 171lbs
I am currently:
Height: 5'2''
Weight: 73kg/160lbs
BMI: 29

Lost so far: 35 lbs
Ultimate aim: 54kgs/119lbs - 19kgs/41lbs to lose.
First mini goal: lose 5 kg by Chistmas (5 weeks).

I'm really going to need support and motivation. I find it hard to get myself to the gym before work, because I'm just so tired. Sometimes I actually need the day to rest, but sometimes it's an excuse I tell myself.

Edit: I keep coming back to this post as a reference, so I'm going to update it with progress too.

Second mini goal: 63kg by 27th Feb

29th Dec 2012: 156lbs
15th Jan 2013: 153lbs (69kg)
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 53
wow a new thread. everyone seems to be posting their current goals so I guess I will do the same.

Continue making sure to eat a healthy breakfast everyday - something I've newly started so I feel like its still a goal
start taking lunches to uni, and for days that I'm not there at that time have a proper lunch. aim for a healthy one but making sure to incorporate it at all rather than ending up eating crisps or something is the first aim.
go to boxercise every week even though it makes me hurt for days!
swim twice a week.

will probably think of some swimming specific goals when I am less tired
Reply 54
Really regretting those squats now. Keep walking around at work like a duck :tongue:

Anyone got any overworked muscle relief tips?

Reply 55
Concentrating soooo hard on making my cv and portfolio that im forgetting about being hungry. Woopee, maybe, haha.
Definitely upward :smile: You know you can do it now. You've found what works for you, and there's no need to stop :smile:. Emotions are bound to be everywhere when you're managing to change your life in this way, but remember it's all good and you should be proud! Not many people have the self control to be able to lose that much weight in one go :smile:.

Thank you. I really hope it does continue, I'm still waiting for the plateau - in fact I thought that might happen this week.

Ehh what can I say? I feel like I have the motivation - my health, my fitness, the fella was but tbh I would be more upset if I were to use that as a reason to give up, can't fail at this too lol. I think putting prediction dates has simultaneously motivated me and scared me into keeping to it. I don't know if I'd advise someone to do that, I dunno.

Had an overwhelming feeling for chocolate earlier and then spotted haribo gold bears which are like my favouritest thing ever...HAD to leave it, knew I'd honk them down otherwise! Getting beast cravings now, ughhhh!
Reply 57
Need to stop eating takeaways... Its just going shopping and then cooking is the last thing I can be bothered to do when I get home from work at 7, by the time the other half is home its like half 8/9 o clock... And she always pressures us to get a takeaway.

Any tips? I try buying food to make stuff with but I end up putting it off and just have to throw it away...

I actually ate a lot better when I was living on my own.
Original post by Hanvyj
Need to stop eating takeaways... Its just going shopping and then cooking is the last thing I can be bothered to do when I get home from work at 7, by the time the other half is home its like half 8/9 o clock... And she always pressures us to get a takeaway.

Any tips? I try buying food to make stuff with but I end up putting it off and just have to throw it away...

I actually ate a lot better when I was living on my own.

Depends what the take-away is. I'll be honest, I eat 4-6 take aways per week, excluding lunch which at work is often a take out. But what I buy is: whole periperi chicken (grilled so little fat; costs £5 and I get two good portions out of it), chicken tikka n salad (tandoori cooked which is oil free), and my most unhealthy meal which I loooove is BBQ sirloin steak with fat chips. It's not the healthiest but isn't as bad as a lot of fast foods out there. The first two feel like junk food but they're VERY healthy so win-win for me-- hits that spot.

So yeah, take away can be good!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by amizzle91
Really regretting those squats now. Keep walking around at work like a duck :tongue:

Anyone got any overworked muscle relief tips?

Rest is the best way to recover the muscles - well that's what I usually find is best for me

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest