The Student Room Group

Healthy New You: Your Change For Life #3

Scroll to see replies

Original post by areebmazhar
I don't know the scientific reason for this, and I doubt there has been any research into it either. But from a personal perspective I had been eating relatively healthy for several months (without ordering my daily lunchtime special from the chippy). Then one day progress was going good so I thought I'd treat myself and I regretted it really bad. I felt instantly sick and bloated and unwell, the next day I had constipation and needed the toilet too often (guessing my body was clearing it out or something).

Ooh, that sounds like quite a bad turn after just one meal :O

Original post by isawsparks89
You did a month without chocolate, don't feel bad!

My body can't take fatty food anymore, if anything, I just feel uncomfortable.

I don't feel bad for having it really (: it's just I feel so ugh now, that I should have just waited until I got home and had something a little better for my body.
Reply 781
Made up a big batch of salad tonight, that will last me a few days to have as lunches/sides for dinner. Don't worry, i'm not living off salad alone! :rolleyes: It's just more convienent if it's already ready, so more likely to eat it! I'm quite partial to salad for lunch tho, (lettuce, onions, peppers, carrot, whatever else i fancy plus a few crutons) as it's quite filling if you throw in a bit of left over chicken/ham/whatever else that needs eating! And tbh, sometimes I get bored of plain veg with dinner so salad is a nice change :smile:
Original post by coopsyy
Made up a big batch of salad tonight, that will last me a few days to have as lunches/sides for dinner. Don't worry, i'm not living off salad alone! :rolleyes: It's just more convienent if it's already ready, so more likely to eat it! I'm quite partial to salad for lunch tho, (lettuce, onions, peppers, carrot, whatever else i fancy plus a few crutons) as it's quite filling if you throw in a bit of left over chicken/ham/whatever else that needs eating! And tbh, sometimes I get bored of plain veg with dinner so salad is a nice change :smile:

I love salad, as the ones I have are practically calorie free, and let me have a bit of a nibble if I'm hungry! :biggrin:
Original post by coopsyy

This is exactly what I'm doing, I'm getting into the habit of having prechopped veggies in the fridge and stuff since I am serially ending up in front of the fridge at the moment. Sounds yummy :biggrin:
Well done! That's amazing progress, both on weight and your running!! :biggrin:

You guys....this thread gives me so much hope with all your successes. Keep at it!!

Thanks :smile: Kinda scared about the running.. next one is 20mins non stop when up until now I've just been doing 8 mins run, 5 mins walk, 8 mins run!

Original post by coopsyy

I do that salad thing too. Make up a decent amount at the beginning of the week and use it for lunches and to have on the side of meals. It definitely makes you more willing to eat it once it's prepared!
Original post by coopsyy

I think I might have to start doing this, in all honesty, I'm not a huge salad person but I think it would be nice just to have something I could throw in a quick sandwich or as a snack.
Reply 786
This is exactly what I'm doing, I'm getting into the habit of having prechopped veggies in the fridge and stuff since I am serially ending up in front of the fridge at the moment. Sounds yummy :biggrin:

I'm glad people don't think i'm mad for doing this :biggrin: at least have veggies/salad ready makes for a quick snack when we're feeling a bit peckish, otherwise my hands would steer towards the chocolate/biccies...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 787
Moved house in August and had a huge sort out of all my stuff and clothes, kinda regretting it now i'm slowly losing weight. At least i've found some old bras that are fitting me better atm :biggrin:

On the plus side, when i've lost more and completed some of my mini goals, i can treat myself with a shopping trip :biggrin:
Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lolimemma
Thanks :smile: Kinda scared about the running.. next one is 20mins non stop when up until now I've just been doing 8 mins run, 5 mins walk, 8 mins run!

It'll be fine, so many before you have had to jump that hurdle with the same amount of training, don't panic!! Good luck :smile:

Original post by coopsyy
I'm glad people don't think i'm mad for doing this :biggrin: at least have veggies/salad ready makes for a quick snack when we're feeling a bit peckish, otherwise my hands would steer towards the chocolate/biccies...

I heard that tip on 'secret eaters' - if it's good for the goose...it's worked thus far. I literally ate a plate of spinach carrot and soy sauce as a snack the other day. And I used to love making some dip (generally salmorejo) and dipping carrots and lettuce in. Which sounds so massively lame but its SO GOOD

---------

I realise I mention salmorejo a lot, if anyone wants to know what it is, feel free to ask for the recipe :smile:

Going for a weekend away tomorrow. Bit kinda scared by the food thing, hope I'm just left to do my own thing. And that I'm not tempted by all sorts lol. Buying apples on my way tomorrow. Nice trip away before my birthday :h:
weighed in today for the first time in two weeks, and guess what, I didn't lose anything at all. I think I MIGHT have lost half a lb, but it's hard to tell on my scales.

It's so so so disheartening though, because I have been pretty good, especially the last week, so I was expecting at least 1 lb, but hoping for 2.
It's not a case of having gained muscle because I haven't done anything out of the ordinary so :/

I'm going to measure myself tomorrow, in the hope that after a month or so I might see some loss there even if the scales only move a couple of lbs
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Becca
Ah, data. Bane of my goddamn life :p:

Lol. Teachers can't just teach anymore. They have to fill in weekly and terms reports, lots of marking, planning e.t.c. Plus since the school is not great in terms of how many A*-C's we have to do tons more data in order to show ofstead we do well in other areas such as student progress.

Plus teachers......

Posted from TSR Mobile
It'll be fine, so many before you have had to jump that hurdle with the same amount of training, don't panic!! Good luck :smile:

I heard that tip on 'secret eaters' - if it's good for the goose...it's worked thus far. I literally ate a plate of spinach carrot and soy sauce as a snack the other day. And I used to love making some dip (generally salmorejo) and dipping carrots and lettuce in. Which sounds so massively lame but its SO GOOD

---------

I realise I mention salmorejo a lot, if anyone wants to know what it is, feel free to ask for the recipe :smile:

Going for a weekend away tomorrow. Bit kinda scared by the food thing, hope I'm just left to do my own thing. And that I'm not tempted by all sorts lol. Buying apples on my way tomorrow. Nice trip away before my birthday :h:

Can I ask what salmorejo is? Never heard of it before, sounds spanish...:smile:
:woo:

Got soooo close to not going for a run this morning, but I forced myself to, and I hit my end of term target :biggrin:

I wanted to have at least one run under 11 minute mile pace. This morning's pace was 10m21s per mile :biggrin: I'm so happy, I've never got under 11 minutes before.
Reply 793
Wondered if any of you guys have any healthy meal ideas for when your shopping budget is a bit tight?
Original post by coopsyy

Lol the things people do on here can be MUCH more mad than pre preparing a salad.. we're all mad as hatters.. trust me, that's normal!

Original post by Kaylaleigh
weighed in today for the first time in two weeks, and guess what, I didn't lose anything at all. I think I MIGHT have lost half a lb, but it's hard to tell on my scales.

It's so so so disheartening though, because I have been pretty good, especially the last week, so I was expecting at least 1 lb, but hoping for 2.
It's not a case of having gained muscle because I haven't done anything out of the ordinary so :/

I'm going to measure myself tomorrow, in the hope that after a month or so I might see some loss there even if the scales only move a couple of lbs

Don't worry about it.. weight can fluctuate ridiculously even on a daily basis, so chances are you just didn't notice a difference on that particular weigh in. Even tiny hormone changes can result in a "gain" on the scales.

Original post by punani
Wondered if any of you guys have any healthy meal ideas for when your shopping budget is a bit tight?

I live in a village, and when my budget is tight I make the effort to go round smaller shops rather than the supermarket. Like my little independent fruit and veg shop, and our butchers.

But ultimately, if you're just trying to lose weight, then less food will always be cheaper than more food!
Hi guys, so I recently started trying to lose weight, I was 12st4lbs when I started this academic year and I'm looking to get down to around 10st3. I started on a low-carb, low-calorie diet and I was comfortably losing, got down to 11st 9 in about 5 weeks. However I went home a few weeks ago and ended up having a massive binge, which caused the chain reaction of me carrying on this binge at uni, so for the past two or three weeks I've just been pouring rubbish into my body and I've gone up to 11st12.

So I was wondering, is it necessary for me to have a low-carb diet or is just low-calorie ok? I tend to lose motivation on the low-carb diet because it just leaves you so lethargic and tired all the time, at least on low-cal I can have things like rice and pasta. Also, I don't go to the gym right now, but I will be starting soon, once I've had a once-over from the doctor, so hopefully that'll contribute a bit more loss, I turn 20 on January 21st and want to be down to 11st by then, is this a realistic target?
[QUOTE='Flo[ProActiv];40505184']:woo:

Got soooo close to not going for a run this morning, but I forced myself to, and I hit my end of term target :biggrin:

I wanted to have at least one run under 11 minute mile pace. This morning's pace was 10m21s per mile :biggrin: I'm so happy, I've never got under 11 minutes before.

Well done! Keep it up and you'll be sub 10 minutes in no time!
Original post by original_username
Well done! Keep it up and you'll be sub 10 minutes in no time!

Thanks :smile: I'm quite surprised/pleased with how quickly I've been progessing - when I started running again (after a 4 month break) in the middle of October, my pace was nearly 13 minutes.
[QUOTE='Flo[ProActiv];40505417']Thanks :smile: I'm quite surprised/pleased with how quickly I've been progessing - when I started running again (after a 4 month break) in the middle of October, my pace was nearly 13 minutes.

That's real good progress.
I went for a run last night and it felt like my thumbs were going to drop off :eek: Need to invest in some running gloves I think.
Reply 799
Original post by longman240

So I was wondering, is it necessary for me to have a low-carb diet or is just low-calorie ok?

You don't need to go low carb.

To lose weight, you need to eat slightly less calories.

To lose mostly fat, you need to eat a balanced diet with slightly less calories than your body needs to maintain weight.

The problem with talking about low carb is that carbs are just one nutrient. You need to focus on the diet as a whole. Just saying 'low carb' is meaningless - it is easy to eat very few carbs but still eat too much fat and gain weight. IMO, nobody should be counting or watching carbs excessively unless a) they are doing the same with proteins and fats and b) they actually have a plan that extends beyond just carbohydrates.

If you don't want to obsessively count and watch everything then just do the following:

- eat regular meals and make them balanced by including a protein source (meat/fish/eggs etc.), plenty of veg and a moderate amount of something starchy like rice, potatoes, pasta.

If you make such meals the bulk of your diet then your diet as a whole will likely be balanced nicely. Eating proper meals at regular times will let your body lock into a feeding schedule and will help control your hunger (which is obviously something you need to do if you go off the rails binging).

I turn 20 on January 21st and want to be down to 11st by then, is this a realistic target?

12lbs in 6 weeks... well, you could lose the weight in that time pretty easily but if you want to lose fat and do so sustainably so you don't wear yourself down and binge the weight back on again, I would go for a slower and more flexible approach.

Quick Reply

Latest